Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Legal length.

There was a time, about 15 years ago, when a suprising statement came out of Police HQ that 'overall length' would be measured in with the stock in the open or extended position. This was generally E cat firearms anyway, so a small pool of already more heavily scrutinised items, and expected to apply to things like m1a1 carbines and 14.5" AR15s. . Then policy reversed about 2-3 years later when Police HQ was under new management. It didnt help that a small number of folks decided to take the piss and put tele or folding stocks on 10.5" barreled ARs, or flaunt underfolding AKs.

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5 CRD View Post
    @makka slightly off topic with this thread but would making a cap like you have shown above but with a blank end on it be something you could make and sell? Ive wanted something like this for a while, currently when my rifle is in the scabbard on my pack i put some tape over the end of the barrel to stop shit getting down it when im travelling, take it off and fit supressor when im ready to hunt. Having a cap like that to seal off the end of the barrel rather than using tape would be awesome
    I jam a rubber chair leg tip over the end of my knurled thread protectors to seal the barrel and also works in the safe to protect the crown when storing barrel down.
    Keep barrel covered in the bush until you are ready to fit suppressor.
    Several sizes available depending on OD of thread protector. Leave rubber chair tip on and just unscrew thread protector as usual. I wouldn't want to shoot through it though.
    https://www.bunnings.co.nz/surface-g...-pack_p4050073
    timattalon, Micky Duck and 6.5 CRD like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5 CRD View Post
    @makka slightly off topic with this thread but would making a cap like you have shown above but with a blank end on it be something you could make and sell? Ive wanted something like this for a while, currently when my rifle is in the scabbard on my pack i put some tape over the end of the barrel to stop shit getting down it when im travelling, take it off and fit supressor when im ready to hunt. Having a cap like that to seal off the end of the barrel rather than using tape would be awesome
    I could do something like that, I'm still perfecting getting the printed threads spot on but am pretty close.
    If I just printed the end cap quite thin then if "it" was to happen then it wouldn't be a problem
    What thread have you got?
    The one I printed came up well though
    Name:  received_904348770696675.jpeg
Views: 176
Size:  173.1 KB
    Last edited by makka; 28-04-2023 at 12:48 AM.
    viper, Micky Duck and 6.5 CRD like this.

Quote Originally Posted by makka View Post
    What thread have you got?
    M15x1 & 5/8x24 are my main rifles
    makka likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Coop View Post
    It's not really up for interpretation on legal length. The Arms Act states it pretty clearly. If they are under 762mm they are pistols. The key part below is "And includes any firearm"
    There is interpretation on how you fix this. From experience suppressors aren't really accepted anymore but this is fairly grey area.

pistol means a firearm (other than a prohibited firearm or restricted weapon) that is designed or adapted to be held and fired with 1 hand, and includes any firearm (other than a prohibited firearm or restricted weapon) that is less than 762 millimetres in length
    I've read it a few times but I'm still not sure I'm reading it right, does this mean that prohibited firearms do not have a minimum length requirement at all? "Other than a prohibited firearm". Or are the defined separately in a different part of the act?

'Restricted Weapons' and 'Prohibited Firearms' are already subject to greater security precautions and vetting than 'Pistols'. The thrust of the Arms Act is to ensure only vetted people with appropriate security have these 3 types of firearms. Applying the overall length rules to Restricted and Prohibited is achieving nothing. Any neer-do-well with unticketed Restricted or Prohibited firearms will be subject to far greater penalties than just possession of a Pistol.
    timattalon and Mintie like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gundoc View Post
    'Restricted Weapons' and 'Prohibited Firearms' are already subject to greater security precautions and vetting than 'Pistols'. The thrust of the Arms Act is to ensure only vetted people with appropriate security have these 3 types of firearms. Applying the overall length rules to Restricted and Prohibited is achieving nothing. Any neer-do-well with unticketed Restricted or Prohibited firearms will be subject to far greater penalties than just possession of a Pistol.
    Unfortunately, these ne'er do wells also couldn't care about the repurcussions and when they do get caught they get let off with a hug and an apology for having to hit them with a wet bus ticket......
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

Quote Originally Posted by Coop View Post
    It's not really up for interpretation on legal length. The Arms Act states it pretty clearly. If they are under 762mm they are pistols. The key part below is "And includes any firearm"
    There is interpretation on how you fix this. From experience suppressors aren't really accepted anymore but this is fairly grey area.

pistol means a firearm (other than a prohibited firearm or restricted weapon) that is designed or adapted to be held and fired with 1 hand, and includes any firearm (other than a prohibited firearm or restricted weapon) that is less than 762 millimetres in length
    So my u/o 12 gauge is a long pistol, I hold the spotlight in the other.
    Sounds like the police have become a fan of the sexual indentification brigade.
    I know the rules, but 762mm is an imperial conversion FFS
    Boom, cough,cough,cough