Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree137Likes

Thread: Leupold Scopes are NOT worth the money....IMO

I agree re leupold you don’t really get what you pay for
    superdiver and Hermitage like this.

I only have the the "Big L" scopes on my guns. Spans the range from a freeedom 2-7 thru Vx3i on my hunting rifle thru a VX6HD all the way to a Mk5 7-35. Would not change any off them.

Like all things in life you get generally about the same thing when you spend about the same money

Just waiting on my first Euro Made scope now and I'm quite interested in how it will compare to the Mk5 especially

I have tried other brands but always go back to the "Big L" brand as they are consistent and have good support via the dealer and importer. If I pay a premium for that service I don't have a problem with it. Better that than the supplier, importer just fob you off and run away when you have issues
    veitnamcam and Hermitage like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    Nice summary Stocky. I pretty much feel the same way. Leopold have stuck by hunters by offering pretty good scopes with the right performance/spec esp weight and price ratio. Most manufacturers of things firearm related are much to focused on following fashion (currently tacicool/PRS) and have forgotten about "hunters". I've got several Leupies, Weavers and Sightrons. Each is good in it's own way but none are perfect.
    Exactly mate they add "features" that often aren't necessarily beneficial to hunters and sometimes are a negative in terms of weight added and adding complication to things that don't need it. I'd prefer that weight was in extra barrel or a suppressor. Different situations for everyone. I carry A rifle way more than I shoot it. So I want a reliable setup that will dial to a few hundred if I need and just work without weighing me down.

I think Stocky hit the nail on the head. Having sold plenty of optics in my time I was usually impressed by the customer service from Leupold, they often did err on the side of the customer, even if damage to the item shouldn't technically have fallen under warranty according to their fine print, they still honoured it in many cases. For the number of Vortex scopes we sold I sure did see a lot come back needing to make use of that nice warranty. It has gotten to the point where I am now confident I will never own a Vortex scope. Their binos on the other hand, especially the diamondbacks, still seem to offer great value for money. Leupold outsource most if not all of their binos to China for the cheaper ones and Japan for the good ones, but that's a different story.
    I think leupold still have a lot of competitive options for scopes under $2000 new, and if I had to buy a new scope for under $500 it'd almost definitely be a leupold. I feel the more you spend the less value you get in leupolds however. I've heard from several long range Shooters that the mark 4 is to be avoided on favour of euro or jap scopes.

Leupold scopes are definitely quality...no doubt.
    My point is that the price vs value is just not there anymore if one takes in consideration other top line scope brands.

I suppose that argument could be used for the European scope brands as well BUT the likes of Swarovski, Leica, Kahles do offer alpha glass and low light ability that is recognized as a 'step above' the USA and Japanese made scopes.

The below is my opinion of most of the top of the line scopes, and you will notice Leupold is in there (5 star and 4 star rating):

Five-Star Scopes

Kahles line (all)
    Leica line (all)
    Leupold VX-6 series, Mark 6, Mark 8
    Meopta MeoStar series
    Nightforce line
    Schmidt & Bender line (all)
    Sightron SV series
    Steiner Nighthunter series
    Swarovski Z series, X series
    Vortex Razor HD series
    Zeiss Victory series

Four-Star Scopes

Athlon
    Bushnell Elite Tactical Series & discontinued 6500
    Leupold VX-3i series, FX-3 (fixed), VX-R, VX-5HD
    Meopta MeoPro series
    Sightron Series III (SIII)
    Steiner GS3 series
    TRACT (Toric + Tekoa)
    Vixen VIII series
    Weaver Super Slam (discontinued)
    canross and Stocky like this.
    A good job and a good wife has been the ruin of many a good hunter.

Opps, I forgot Sarvo's Delta brand scopes....they would go in the 4+ star group (if there was one)

Quote Originally Posted by Hermitage View Post
    My point is that the price vs value is just not there anymore if one takes in consideration other top line scope brands.

I suppose that argument could be used for the European scope brands as well BUT the likes of Swarovski, Leica, Kahles do offer alpha glass and low light ability that is recognized as a 'step above' the USA and Japanese made scopes.

The below is my opinion of most of the top of the line scopes, and you will notice Leupold is in there (5 star and 4 star rating):

Five-Star Scopes

Kahles line (all)
    Leica line (all)
    Meopta MeoStar series
    Nightforce line
    Sightron SV series
    Vortex Razor HD series
    Zeiss Victory series

Four-Star Scopes

Athlon
    Meopta MeoPro series
    Steiner GS3 series
    TRACT (Toric + Tekoa)
    Vixen VIII series
    Have you used all of these 'scopes?
    Nathan F, zimmer and Nickoli like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Have you used all of these 'scopes?
    No way...I'm a BOP English teacher not an Auckland property developer.

This is just my opinion based on use of a few, and the other ratings based on shooters opinions and reading.

Wow, have you owned all those scopes?
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Five-Star Scopes

Kahles line (all)
    Leica line (all)
    Meopta MeoStar series
    Nightforce line
    Sightron SV series
    Vortex Razor HD series
    Zeiss Victory series

Four-Star Scopes

Athlon
    Meopta MeoPro series
    Steiner GS3 series
    TRACT (Toric + Tekoa)
    Vixen VIII series
    Just going off topic for a bit, why does Bushnell seem to discontinue scopes so quickly? It really puts me off buying them.

Five-Star Scopes

Kahles line (all)
    Leica line (all)
    Meopta MeoStar series
    Nightforce line
    Sightron SV series
    Vortex Razor HD series
    Zeiss Victory series

Four-Star Scopes

Athlon
    Meopta MeoPro series
    Steiner GS3 series
    TRACT (Toric + Tekoa)
    Vixen VIII series
    Quick, add March scopes to the five star list before anyone gets upset!

Five-Star Scopes

Kahles line (all)
    Leica line (all)
    Meopta MeoStar series
    Nightforce line
    Sightron SV series
    Vortex Razor HD series
    Zeiss Victory series

Four-Star Scopes

Athlon
    Meopta MeoPro series
    Steiner GS3 series
    TRACT (Toric + Tekoa)
    Vixen VIII series
    Kind of agree except VX-5HD is same glass as the VX6HD so find it hard to be thrown down a teir. Arguably it's a better scope than the Z5s. I currently own a VX6HD, a Z5, 2 VX3i's, a Sig Whiskey5 (which I would rate up there pretty highly especially for a longer range hunter if your not stressed about weight like I tend to be.)

I did see Guncity's prices on Leupolds today and have really seen the prices ramped up the last 3 or 4 years (I'd guess due to the NZ distributor) I brought my first VX3i for 699 now they are 1099. Also the only new VX5HD I brought was $1599. Now they are $1874. So maybe that does make me think NZ importer has made them a little harder to stomach. Still think they have a fit a niche at a good price just have to shop around a bit more. Sale at shooters supplies this weekend I think

You way underestimate the Tract Toric. They are top tier.
    I have Swarvo Z5 (2), Tract Toric (2, 3-15) Leupold 2-12 VX6, Zeiss, Delta.

I would rate the Toric slightly below the Z5 3-18 - mainly because I prefer the Swarvo wind flex reticle. My Tracts have done some real hard work and never failed.

My Leupol VX6 has been good but I have had a shocking run with VX3's in the past. I don't trust Leupolds to track. They have done nothing to improve their erector system as far as I know, and it has always been a failing.

Delta can hold their own in any company and blitz similar scopes for price. The 4-24 I have is a great 'scope.

Sightron SV is middle of the road. Had one and it performed well. No zero stop.

Tract, Delta, most Nightforce and the Bushnel 6500 (RIP) are all out of the same LOW factory in Japan.
    nor-west likes this.

The leupold beat most scopes on weight.

Sent from my SM-J530Y using Tapatalk
    Nick-D likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by erniec View Post
    The leupold beat most scopes on weight.

Sent from my SM-J530Y using Tapatalk
    So does a toilet paper roll with clingfilm.

3 or 4 ounces of weight between the rings central to the action dont make a wiff of difference to me. Not to say I'm going to buy a truckload of 34mm rifle scopes.