Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: Leupold Vx5 Leaked in the rain - 1 year old

I killed 3-4 cheap scopes on my old 270. At least 3 Nikko Stirling's a tasco and a Redfield come to mind. Haven't had an issue with bottom tier Leupold yet so not sure how you guys are killing top tier models lol.
    buell984 likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by taking_the_gun_for_a_walk View Post
    I had a brand new vx6 leak after 1 trip last year, was told by the local chain store it would be a few months to get the replacement. Turns out they lost my phone number and didn't contact me, but they had a reply from NZ Asia within 2-3 weeks saying that it was toast and sent me a new unit. Good excuse to buy a Leica scope while the leupy was awaiting the warranty claim, thinking I would be scopeless for months, then when it was back I had an orphaned scope that needed a new rifle.... Silver linings I guess
    I cannot imagine what life would be like without an unequal number of optics and rifles that accept such modern accoutrements.
    Micky, dropping them is a good way I believe
    Micky Duck likes this.

Could just be a bad one, i wouldn't be put off by it & suspect you'll get a replacement.
    Mine has been awesome!

Seems Leupold and canted reticles from new is a thing then...

It would also seem that there is quite a few Leupold scopes having issues with seals at the moment, and needing to be sent back - not sure if this is a percentage game as this brand is probably one of the biggest sellers in NZ and likely there is a certain percentage of failures with every brand.
    199p, buell984 and Micky Duck like this.

I'm assuming it was a manufacturing defect like a dodgy seal, I'm not at all rough on my gear if I can help it. Didn't drop it, and it spent most of the time on it's only trip hidden away in a cactus scabbard.
    buell984 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Vandros View Post
    Bit frustrated as went out of my way to buy what i thought was a brand new high quality scope Leupold Vx5 from a well known Gun retailer in the City. Its just over a year old and i have used it 5-6 times mostly at the range with no issues, up to this point i would say it was fantastic. But last time i had it up at the range it was working perfectly but it was raining - Cleaned it put it away in the safe and 2 weeks later its got water droplets all through its internal lens.

I think i take good care of it always in a neoprene cover and in a soft rifle bag. Even the leave the neoprene cover on when i'm hunting whenever possible. Obviously its been bumped a few times in the bush but nothing that has concerned me or left any external marks on it. Talleys rings tighten to the correct torque.

So to find the below is frustrating and concerning as last time i had it out at the range in light rain shouldn't have lead to this.

Any one know if Leupold will repair or replace? And what there lead time presently is?
    Retailer has suggested about a month turn around to have it assessed.

Not sure i want it back or even a Brand New one as not sure what i can do differently

Attachment 235813
    Attachment 235814
    Attachment 235816
    @Vandros ,

Suspect the droplets that you see are actually coming from inside the scope (my theory).

They are meant to be gas purged (usually argon or nitrogen) in a clean room, but if this is mucked up, you'll get condensation even if the seals are perfect (temp difference).

OR they are droplets of oil/lubricant from the internal turret mechanism.

Not a good thing to have happen. Yes the warranty on Leupold, Vortex etc are good, but you hope to never need to use it.

I've either owned or used all the top scope brands bar the 'Alpha' tier (in price, March, Tangent Theta and Zero Compromise Optics), and all of them (even the mighty Lightforce aka Nightforce) can fail

Best to have a picatinny rail on the rifle so you can easily have another scope ready to bolt on just in case.

If I was going to the middle of nowehere and/or an expensive hunt, my backup would always be a red dot or LPVO.
    buell984 likes this.