Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree126Likes

Thread: Lever action rifles- thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGunn View Post
    I think suppressing defeats the purpose of a short rifle for bush work.
    I agree the extra length can defeat the purpose of a bush gun but I think that is offset by the sound reduction in the tight stuff , especially as I usually have the kids trailing along. My hearing is already buggered but don't want to harm theirs. That said I use the big boy now with no option of a can and make the others cover their ears but would suppress if I could... that gun is LOUD in the bush.
    born to hunt - forced to work

I think I have had near half the lever actions made back in the day & still have a few, not the main hunting rifle any more as not up to that IMO, had a few scoped Win 88 & Sako VL63/Finnwolf's, BLR older model, even a nice old TD Savage 99 in 250/3000 .

A nice Marlin in .357 would be great rifle to play with I reckon, I have two Win 92 in 32/20, which are cool, just a little harder to get plinking ammo for compared to the 38/357 .
    Ftx325 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Have 2 red little dots unused in the safe. They still ruin the "look" and I find appature sights just as fast and no need to ift head to see them. I don't think the straight stock levers work well with scopes or "dot's" never tried the modern pistol gripped versions maybe the comb is higher.
    Mine are all pistol gripped and you may be right re comb height but also had one on my Rossi 44mag with straight stock and had no problems. Used a Bushnell trs-25 on there and didn't find it was exceedingly high. Soon got used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ftx325 View Post
    I agree the extra length can defeat the purpose of a bush gun but I think that is offset by the sound reduction in the tight stuff , especially as I usually have the kids trailing along. My hearing is already buggered but don't want to harm theirs. That said I use the big boy now with no option of a can and make the others cover their ears but would suppress if I could... that gun is LOUD in the bush.
    i have never taken kids hunting until they are old enough to carry and shoot the gun so have never had the problem of trailing kids...I also feel that not enough shots are fired (unless on goats) to need ear protection when bush hunting

I had a new Marlin 44-mag; jammed like crazy! Got rid of it to a mate who reckoned he could fix it. Also had a Winny 94 30/30; loved it! Was a pleasure to handle and should never have sold it. But I was a teenager who bought and sold rifles like water...... Still have a hankering for a lever 30/30 or especially a 45/70! Why a 45/70? Buggered if I know! Probably the same reason I'd like a 450 Bushmaster....

Since we can’t post photos here wet ya whistle here... https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....-thread-44138/
    Vasious likes this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

MSL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    scottrods, mikee, dannyb and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGunn View Post
    i have never taken kids hunting until they are old enough to carry and shoot the gun so have never had the problem of trailing kids...I also feel that not enough shots are fired (unless on goats) to need ear protection when bush hunting
    By kids I mean teenagers... sorry should be more specific.
    And one's usually carrying the 357 , the other the 30/30 which usually leads to the inevitable argument over who gets to shoot...' you shot last time.. it's my turn!' and so on...and away runs the intended prey. At least they're keen.
    Last edited by Ftx325; 22-08-2020 at 11:30 AM.

Greetings All,
    Always had a soft spot for the Marlin lever action, preferably in .35 Remington and with a 2.5 lightweight Leupold scope or receiver sight. Have never seen one let alone bought one. Had a Winchester 88 in .308 for a while. It was accurate but heavier, more complicated and booted more due to stock pitch. The trigger was pretty average too. It made way for another bolt action. Perhaps I might settle for a .30-30 one day.
    Regards Grandpamac.

The traditionalists may not want to read this bit... you have been warned
    I too like the traditional wood finish on my levers but ordered the alloy handguard for the 45 to keep the wood in good nick as previously mentioned but wasn't sure if I'd like it ...
    Well I have just finished fitting it and damn...it looks great!
    Enough weight lost can actually feel the front end is lighter. Very pleased
    As the tattoo says...no regerts
    Jewcati likes this.

Nothing wrong with a lever action rifle, especially in 45-70. Love my guide gun.
    Ftx325 likes this.

Gone but not forgotten
    My first centrefire was a Winchester M94 Trapper in 30-30, bought new in 1986 for pig hunting in the bush on horseback. I still have it, and it is the rifle most often taken out of the safe to go hunting (I do mostly bushstalking).
    The rifle is pretty much a loved member of our family, my father said he wants it if I ever decide to sell it, and he doesn't even hunt anymore!
    Ftx325 likes this.

MB
    I don't like lever actions. You did ask for thoughts! The cowboy look doesn't do it for me. If you want a bush rifle, then the shortest option is a single shot.

I'm a lefty, and one of my all time favourites was an early BLR (straight pistol grip) in .308. You could safely carry it cocked with the hammer down. It looked great with a Leupold 2-7x (sorry Rushy, you are SO wrong on the scope thing!). They have a short lever throw, so second shots can be quick.
    dannyb and Ftx325 like this.

I agree with the safety aspect. Mine all have the hammer block safety and half cock... can't get much safer than that (with a round in the chamber. Another reason I like mine.