Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Which lever / semi / pump rifle, and why?

Another thought a baikal double rifle in 45/70 big game style, follow up shot as fast as a semi
    csmiffy likes this.

444 Marlin the other option less recoil than 45-70 and less bullet drop.

Name:  20180308_172657.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  1.09 MB

45-70 444 30-06 308
    Velocity is thrilling,but diameter does the real killing.

Thanks for all your comments so far. There’s been some very helpful suggestions. I’ll try and comment on all of what you’ve come up with since last night, here goes.

The pump I’ve pretty much discounted due to noise and the problem of shooting prone and reloading.

The semi auto is still in the mix. The one BAR I have used was well cared for and silky smooth and chambering a round slowly seemed pretty quiet to me, no noisier than a bolt gun. I’ll have to get my hands on one and check this out again. A .300 WSM in an auto is attractive, problem is with any of the BARs other than the .308 carbine is barrel length. I just think it’ll annoy me getting hung up the whole time.

The Rossi in 458 Casull is a definite contender. Just need to get my hands on one to get a feel for it. That’s going to be easier said than done.

I do reload for everything, so the .358 BLR is still in the mix. I read a lot about the BLR – seems very popular – except the trigger. I need to better understand how the trigger mechanism works and how it can be improved.

Range isn’t an issue. This gun won’t get used outside the woods. I’d be surprised if it ever shot past 100m.

A straight pull is just gonna be way too dear for me for this project. Don’t fancy myself as a German anyway, too much of hill billy.

Mikee – I can’t imagine I’d have any hearing left after 3 or 4 shots with that wicked looking 375WSM!

A chopped bolt gun is the easiest option and I’ve done a bit of a study on barrel lengths vs cartridge. Problem with high power cartridges in short barrels is they’re so bloody loud. But a chop is probably too easy and not as much fun as something completely different, know what I mean? That said the Ruger .450 Bushmaster has caught my eye though ordinarily I wouldn’t use a muzzle brake if you paid me. Already got tinnitus. I hated the one Ruger American I’ve used though, awful stock and the magazine fell apart and wouldn’t chamber a round properly. Apparently the Predators are better. The news that they are potential sub-sonics as well makes them even more interesting, thanks Viper and Nibblet.

The Baikal double rifle is something I hadn’t thought of so will look at those too, thanks Marty.

I reckon though the current leaders are the .45/70 in a quality modern high pressure lever action, with the .444 a close second if I could ever find one (thanks John M I’ve used one of those years ago in the US but never seen one here?). Third would be the BLR in .358 but struggling cos of poor availability. I do need to handle a Rossi though.

Thanks for all your help so far fellas.

My short range(100m) drop anything rifle is a no4 enfield in classic plastic stock fitted with 14" .458 barrel chambered in 450 marlin. affectionatly known a 'lurch'. Things you can do with a barrel off cut. Used the battle sight and mounted front sight on the brake. Works really well, just don't go prone!

Thanks 7mmwsm, much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Don't expect anything with a short barrel to be quiet enough to use without hearing protection.
    One advantage with straight wall cases like the Casull (and I presume the 444 is the same), you can run shorter pistol rounds like 45 colt, (and 44 magnum in the 444) when you don't need a "big bang". Making them quite versatile guns.
    Talk to Dave and Gene at Shooter Ready in Cambrige regarding a Rossi 454. They sold one recently and may be able to hook you up with the owner for a play.
    You use Shooter Ready too do you...they're starting to become my go to guys...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ejected

blr in .308 is pretty darn hard to beat....and as much as I love partitions,you could be just as well if not better off with plain jane winchester 180 grn power points...they are quite soft and dump energy well. I shot big velvety in bush last year with one and it went all of 15 yards leaving a huge blood trail.....looked like someone has used 4" paintbrush and red paint on the ferns.
    beauty of the blr is being able to use hammer in safe position when walking/stalking then quickly/quietly cock rifle...downside is the triggers often suck and blow and same time,that said Ive shot sub moa groups with mine.
    one day when I win lotto I will buy a bakail .45/70 SxS they also do one in .30/06 two shots super fast in very quick handling platform....my theory on .45/70 was to have most accurate barrel with potent load say a flexitip and other barrel a BIG soft cast load going slower so heaps of grunt but not as much boot.

I'm going down the 358win route as well.

If you are looking at off the shelf marlin do the 35 Remington in their mod 336. Have no experience with them myself.
    I don't like relying on the safety either, while working the lever is fast it's still noisy.

Should think the BAR in 308 would pack a lot of firepower.
    Or the BLR in 358 just to be different.
    Lots of 45/70 & 444 etc out and about or what about a short barrelled 12ga slug semi.

Zane
    wanted a 358 sav 99 action. Can't find one in NZ so started with a 1975 308. New barrel, boyds laminated stock (old one cracked) Nikon 1-4x20 with#4 recital.
    Last edited by ZQLewis; 08-03-2018 at 11:37 PM.

Wilsons sports in Wanganui, have a very nice Franchi double rifle U/O, in 9.3x74, not very common in NZ, but no other action is a quick for a second shot, no action length, so shorter than any pump, semi, lever or bolt, for same barrel length, n
    Handle surperbly, still quite common in dangerous game hunting, I've fired off a fair few rounds in 470 nitro in a fine euro, sxs and in a bakail, 45-70, one day I will own one.
    9.3 x74, has plenty of power and shoot out to 300 m or so,
    Down side is cost,

I should add. Was in gun city ChCh today and they have a very nice marlin .444, that would be hard to beat for a bush rifle, sights missing but they were prepared to install sum for me, no ammo on hand, so nope for me for today. Hope fully it's gone before I next walk in the door.

Piopio, Christchurch, Pilbara/GreatSandy Desert WA
    300wsm, 338fed, 325wsm or 30/06 bush pig. Loaded with a 150 or 180 barnes/stiff pill.

Marlin 1895 hands down, strong action, proven design side loading and ejection. They are usually very accurate and mounts are readily availible. 45-70 would be ideal for your stated purpose. Even out of the short barrel you can still get up to around 2200fps with 300gr projectiles, which absolutely flatten the deer.

NZAR15 sell AR10 style semiautos with 16" or 18" barrels

308 may be a smaller pill than what you are after but it is short, silenceable and fairly cheap for that fast followup shot

Banned
    There are a couple of m77's in 375 and 416Ruger on TM if you want to take it beyond all doubt
    Steve123 likes this.