Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Like Tree163Likes

Thread: Light weight rifle options

57JL
    I am lefthanded and struggled to find an Ultralite factory rifle without customizing something to fit and be not too heavy
    Tikka rifles are good but just don,t fit me
    I found a Forbes 308 L/H action rifle and it fits like a glove straight out of the box but probably will not last a lifetime but love it so I don,t care where a Tikka might if I spend the money so I got one and am slowly customizing it, work in progress as I can afford to
    fitted a Stug stock fluted bolt and it had an 18-inch barrel when I got it but have re-barreled it to 6.5 Creedmore from 308 as I don't need 2 308s but will be putting the 308 barrel back on if the Forbes becomes unfixable

Quote Originally Posted by Synthetic View Post
    It's a shame that Howa doesn't make the Alpine model anymore.
    I always wanted to get a light rifle with a hinged floor plate magazine, it seemed ideal.
    Did a bit of research before getting mine, Howa/Legacy Sports International (US Importer) and Randy Newberg did a deal with Mark Bansner of High Tech Stocks to supply them with stocks, and bolted in a Cerakoted lightweight action (slabbed from the factory) and barrel. Quality items, they are a fiberglass stock with pillars installed from the factory.

The pattern is still available as their 'Sheep Hunter' stock: https://www.bansnerandcompany.com/ba...-rifle-stocks/ but they don't inlet for Howa's anymore. Supposedly supply of the stocks were a problem yet the premium paid for the Alpine version made it a bit of a slow seller according to US sites. Obviously the Gunbroker price spiked once they stopped making them, especially for the 6.5 NeedMore ones.

Paid £500 for mine with an Aimsport Moderator, so I think I got a good deal.

My 7mm-08 Rem Model 7 Stainless (older, 3 hole receiver from the late 90's) is arguably even more of an ultralight rifle, especially since the former owner had it chopped to 16"

In fact, the McMillan KS it sits in is worth quite a bit if you believe the US forums. It's quite a nice stock, very light, stiff, bedded in some way but no pillars. Had to bin the factory trigger for a TriggerTech and put a 20MOA EGW rail on, but that's it. Could not believe the shop sold it to me for £400... seems that mountain rifles are not valued in the UK, says it all really!
    dannyb likes this.