Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Looking for an action for a build

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Model 7 comes in LH now?
    BRADS likes this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    Just buy this 7 SAUM Remington Model Seven | Trade Me

I have several Model 7's and love them, one in 7mm SAUM which is awesome!
    lovely rifle there, only problem is id have to shoot it backwards to have the action on the correct side haha.
    GWH likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Model 7 comes in LH now?
    im searching and searching and cant find one that is, i think weve forgotten im after a lefty action

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by silentscope View Post
    i had a read of your makeover thread during my lunch break today you did a nice job of it. was your wsm a short action to start? i thought of the wsm because you can squeeze that little bit extra out of it with those bigger pills, iv got no issues milling out bits and pieces to make it better i just need a good base to start with.
    I run the 162 Amax seated right out long to touch the lands, way to long for mag, but its no drama single feeding them as a long range rifle. I do have some 150 SGK loads at a shorter OAL that fit the mag for when i want to have a couple sitting in the mag for 'spook and shoot' when walking in/out etc.

GWH
    lovely rifle there, only problem is id have to shoot it backwards to have the action on the correct side haha.
    Oh yeah bugger!

i just come across your model 7 in another thread, thats a bloody beaut looking rifle pretty much what i was hoping to end up with, what kind of work and $$$ was that one if you dont mind me asking?
    Stock is $595, fluting barrel is about $350, fluting bolt is $150, can't remember the cost of the muzzle brake and threading muzzle. Light weight firing pin and $130?

I think Savage do an action/trigger group only, no problem with lefty actions....might have to wait 6 months or so to be delivered if not in stock.

would it be worth doing one on a tikka? theyre ugly as hell but are easy to get hold of from anything else iv looked and asked for. would a long action tikka be needed for the long seating of the heavier bullets in short mag? or can you chop a short actions magazine etc enough for them to work?

would it be worth doing one on a tikka? theyre ugly as hell but are easy to get hold of from anything else iv looked and asked for. would a long action tikka be needed for the long seating of the heavier bullets in short mag? or can you chop a short actions magazine etc enough for them to work?
    Unfortunately for a wsm case or similar width cases there are only one size from tikka. I have a 7-300wsm that I have lengthened the mag to fit 180 bergers in. IIRC my oal is 81.6mm. I just had to grind the bolt stop back and it feeds easy as.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone

Yep, I would go with a tikka as well if I were you. They make rifle with wsm cases, so that is not an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by puku View Post
    Unfortunately for a wsm case or similar width cases there are only one size from tikka. I have a 7-300wsm that I have lengthened the mag to fit 180 bergers in. IIRC my oal is 81.6mm. I just had to grind the bolt stop back and it feeds easy as.

oh well that makes life easier then did you start with a 7mm wsm and ream it out bigger? or did you have to re barrel it

oh well that makes life easier then did you start with a 7mm wsm and ream it out bigger? or did you have to re barrel it
    Nah it started life as a 270wsm. But I shot the barrel out. I went for the 300 parent case rather than 7mm wsm for the longer neck. I'm getting a modest 856m/s or 2810fps with it. Sticky bolt above that when the weather is warm

Rule 5: Check your firing zone

I have two model 7's the trouble with them is that there is no way of lengthening the mag box, you cannot take meat out of the front of the magazine slot and the trigger group is too close at the back to allow any machining there so you cannot fit a wyatts box. The upshot is that even with .308 sized cases , 7mm-08 and .260 it is difficult to get bullets to seat out close to the lands and feed out of the mag unless they are blunt bullets. Tuning of loads via OAL is not as easy as for longer actions. I found with my 7-08 best accuracy was closer to the lands than I could feed out of the mag box so I shave a couple of mm off the plastic tips of 140G nosler BT's with a meplat trimmer. I wildcatted my 7mm saum so I run a 200 thou short case, this works well as I can seat the 162 amax well out to avoid any donut issues and touch the lands and still feed from the mag. When I eventually rebarrel my 7-08 I will go 6.5 creedmore or 7m creedmore AI to take advantage of the short case, to get a load that can be seated to the lands and feed out of the mag.

Plenty of 7mm saums run good as in model 7s, if it's that much of a worry get the chamber set back so you can find the lands, that would be an easier option than wildcatting the case

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    199p and nevereadyfreddy like this.
    Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

I just single feed my Model 7 7SAUM with 162 amax seated out. I have a mag length load of 140gr accubond for spook and shoot hunting. I haven't had an issue with single feeding yet, all one shot kills.