Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Looking to buy a new 300 win mag for my new scope any suggestions please

I'm selling a rem mag 700 for 950 with fluted bolt if your interested. I don't think you are gaining anything going to win mag to be honest.
    dannyb likes this.

Have you tried the forum load in your 7mm rem mag. Most modern tikka RM's love it

-its above max so of course work up to this checking pressure signed (legal stuff completed)-

Hornady/ Norma Brass
    72gr 2217
    Federal 215 match magnum primers
    Coal to fit just in side your mag
    162 Eld-x /m or amax.

Give a ladder of that a try first if its ammo that is you prob... more likely the stock is sitting touching the barrel from being torqued by the bipod - also easy fix and a decent suppressor on the front to minimise hop....oh and swap those hard butt pad for a new $75 aerolite one - you'll be shocked how much it shrinks the group size.
    gadgetman and 7mm Rem Mag like this.

Your t3 should shoot better than that. As was said it needs looking at by someone who knows what they're doing. A 300 isn't really needed under 800yds, probably even 1000. A 7mag will do that. For what you're doing you have probably a good choice now. I use my 300 mostly for gongs 600+ and the only reason I take it hunting over my 7mag is it's a lot lighter. When I sort the weight of my 7mm out I will hardly ever use my 300 as it's more than needed 95% of the time for game. Also at 650yds the 7mm using 180's barely dents my gong where the 300 almost goes right through. my gong life will be longer(engineer gave me scrap bis80 not 400!) Maybe sort your t3 and get a smaller rifle/lighter caliber for your son instead?
    Carpe Diem and 7mm Rem Mag like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
    Have you tried the forum load in your 7mm rem mag. Most modern tikka RM's love it

-its above max so of course work up to this checking pressure signed (legal stuff completed)-

Hornady/ Norma Brass
    72gr 2217
    Federal 215 match magnum primers
    Coal to fit just in side your mag
    162 Eld-x /m or amax.

Give a ladder of that a try first if its ammo that is you prob... more likely the stock is sitting touching the barrel from being torqued by the bipod - also easy fix and a decent suppressor on the front to minimise hop....oh and swap those hard butt pad for a new $75 aerolite one - you'll be shocked how much it shrinks the group size.
    Thanks I'll give that a try. Great info all round, cheers for that
    When hunting think safety first

Check out Christensen arms messa or a browning xbolt hell’s canyon.
    I can maybe hook you up with a new Christensen at a good price if you are interested.
    Don’t go super light most are about or just under 7 lb

Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    I'm selling a rem mag 700 for 950 with fluted bolt if your interested. I don't think you are gaining anything going to win mag to be honest.
    Thanks for the offer, I will try a few things first before getting too hasty.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy06 View Post
    Check out Christensen arms messa or a browning xbolt hell’s canyon.
    I can maybe hook you up with a new Christensen at a good price if you are interested.
    Don’t go super light most are about or just under 7 lb
    Thanks for the thought, I'll let you know if I decide to go down that track. I might try another load or 2 in the 7 mm rem mag first after some of the good advice I have received

On of the guides who came here was using a 7mm rem mag using a 162 Berger vld. They are killing trophy animals constantly with it and say it is pretty devastating in kill power. I’ve seen the resultsName:  ADF93838-B9D0-4D5B-B7F7-CBC6B99E3F07.jpeg
Views: 432
Size:  3.34 MB
    In the 300win mag I’ve only ever used 208 eldm and work pretty good. The americans all seem to rave about the 215 Berger vld
    7mm Rem Mag and dannyb like this.

I have a Tikka T3 in 300 WM and works fine the only limiting factor is mag length. Rem 700 have a better mag length so big bullets can be seated further out . I use 178 gr ELD X in my 300 at mag length in the Tikka and that is good enough for me. I have just resighted my Rem 7mm Mag for 162gr ELD X bullets with a load of 71 grs of AR 2217 and velocity averages are 3020 fps out of the 24 inch barrel, still need to test for accuracy but looks good at moment. If mag length is not a problem I would look at the Tikka.
    7mm Rem Mag likes this.

My mine gripe with the A7 is a stupidly short magazine.
    Factory 300 WinMag ammo is touching the front of the mag.
    7mm Rem Mag and dannyb like this.
    Welcome to Sako club.

You could also try the new scope in the old rifle, what was the old optic that you have upgraded from?

Make sure the recoil lug is installed correctly on your tikka, I have heard this can be an issue and easy to put in wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Yep I had a guy bring me one once and said it wouldn’t shoot well. Had a look and it wasn’t sitting in the recoil lug properly.
    Tikka and sako don’t have the best twist rate for the heavier bullets in 300 win mag as they are 1 in 11, but ok up to 180gr. Don’t know how they work over 200gr+ which is where the 300 works really well at longer ranges with energy. Sako, tikka lovers on here might have tried them and have some results o the 1 in 11

Quote Originally Posted by Moutere View Post
    You could also try the new scope in the old rifle, what was the old optic that you have upgraded from?
    It was a Burris scope 3 to 9 by 40 , came as a package from hunting and fishing. Yeah thought a new scope may help but then thought no it should still be able to group with old scope even at 100 meters

Quote Originally Posted by Spudattack View Post
    Make sure the recoil lug is installed correctly on your tikka, I have heard this can be an issue and easy to put in wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ok will look into that, thanks