Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Looking to buy a new 300 win mag for my new scope any suggestions please

I have a new theory on hunting rifle accuracy. You want the first shot to go exactly where you aimed every time. But a one hole group rifle is no good. If it doesn’t go down and you fire a second shot at exactly the same spot it lands an inch from the previous hole so it makes the wound channel bigger.
    Boom mic drop.

Plenty more good advice for you. My 7mm is fussy and the eld and sst line can be a bit finicky to get to shoot in some rifles(like mine) If you reload and have sorted any bedding or scope/mount issues then I'd try the 168 berger classic, 150 bt and 160tmk probably in that order as they are well know to shoot well in most 7mags. I was told if you use bergers for hunting that once loaded put a pin in the nose cavity. If it doesn't go in then put that round aside for target/gong shooting as without a small hollow cavity they may not expand on game and pin hole through
    7mm Rem Mag likes this.

Since package deal I take it that you are using the factory scope rings? They did have problems with them and the shitty screws supplied with them, gunworks were selling stainless screws for them as un upgrade. I have seen the rings fail 1st hand where the rifle wouldn't group.
    The scope could well and truely be faulty to.
    If you've got plenty of money then upgrade to something else but in all honesty there is probably something minor wrong.
    I was pretty sure the tikka came with a 3 shot Moa guarantee with quality factory ammo and the Sakos have a 5 shot Moa guarantee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    7mm Rem Mag likes this.
    Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

Regarding the hell canyon, browning came with three different factory threading, and not one of them is a common suppressor thread!
    The muzzle brake that comes with it is more for decoration( almost)
    They tend to shoot very well, just be prepare to budget for a rethread if you want to use a suppressor and or a descent brake.

Tikka works but have a bit of a small mag for the long rounds. Mind you you could do a dual load with single loading for the very long range stuff.

A basic Remington with an upgraded stock and bedding would do the trick at well.

Thanks Guys, all good advice. Plenty for me to go and work on. Cheers everyone
    When hunting think safety first

Firstly, do you shoot off a bipod and how many people have shot groups with your rifle? The T3 magnums can be pretty lively and hard to control, especially off a bipod.
    I have one that I rebarrelled from 300WM to 7mmRM and both barrels shot as expected (<1moa) but the 300 especially needed good technique and concentration to shoot to it's potential.
    I still have the 300WM barrel if you are interested in it. Fired <50 rounds and the bore is in perfect condition. Costs about $60 to swap them.
    PS. The stock on the A7 is crap.
    chainsaw, Smartie and stevodog like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Hi Shearer,
    No have not used a bipod. When I go to the range I use those sand bag type things your gun fits into, it fits snug and I don't find the recoil too bad. Two of us have shot the rifle and both get the same result. We have both done plenty of shooting with all calibers and are competent shooters.
    I will let you know if I decide to buy another barrel although after reading a lot of the above I am going to try some of the advice offered by the other forum members first.
    I just need to find the time to do that now.
    Shearer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mm Rem Mag View Post
    Hi Shearer,
    No have not used a bipod. When I go to the range I use those sand bag type things your gun fits into, it fits snug and I don't find the recoil too bad. Two of us have shot the rifle and both get the same result. We have both done plenty of shooting with all calibers and are competent shooters.
    I will let you know if I decide to buy another barrel although after reading a lot of the above I am going to try some of the advice offered by the other forum members first.
    I just need to find the time to do that now.
    Excellent. Sounds like a good plan.
    I wasn't trying to be critical with my comments. I have just seen the same thing happen before and with far lesser calibres than the magnums. You are obviously doing the right things and I am sure with a bit of perseverance you will get the Tikka shooting to it's potential.
    chainsaw and 7mm Rem Mag like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
    Have you tried the forum load in your 7mm rem mag. Most modern tikka RM's love it

-its above max so of course work up to this checking pressure signed (legal stuff completed)-

Hornady/ Norma Brass
    72gr 2217
    Federal 215 match magnum primers
    Coal to fit just in side your mag
    162 Eld-x /m or amax.

Give a ladder of that a try first if its ammo that is you prob... more likely the stock is sitting touching the barrel from being torqued by the bipod - also easy fix and a decent suppressor on the front to minimise hop....oh and swap those hard butt pad for a new $75 aerolite one - you'll be shocked how much it shrinks the group size.
    I was just wondering what velocity you are getting with this load? I should be set to give it a try in around 3 weeks. I have decided to wait until my new scope arrives before I give it a go. I have lightened the trigger pull to 2.6 lbs as it was basically set to heaviest setting. I have checked the barrel and it appears to be floated correctly with space between the barrel and stock. The action appears to be nice and tight so hopefully not a bedding problem. Thanks again

OK just a quick update on my current riffle, I have put the new Swarovski Z5 scope on it, I lightened the trigger pull and floated the barrel.

I then went to the range about a week ago, I tried the forum load suggested by @Carpe Diem and worked up quietly to it, 171gr of powder and 171.5gr went down the same hole during my ladder test.

I then tried 3 shots with the 172gr but it shot poor, I went home and reloaded some more pills and went back today with 171.5gr of powder and it shot 1 inch outside to outside or 3 quarter inch middle to middle which I am happy with and am now waiting for some more ELDX 162gr projectiles to arrive before I can confirm my load.

Every other round so far has been poor with the best being 1 and 3 quarter inch at 100 meters. Thanks @Carpe Diem for your advice on the load

Hornady/ Norma Brass
    72gr 2217
    Federal 215 match magnum primers
    Coal to fit just in side your mag
    162 Eld-x /m or amax.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy06 View Post
    I have a new theory on hunting rifle accuracy. You want the first shot to go exactly where you aimed every time. But a one hole group rifle is no good. If it doesn’t go down and you fire a second shot at exactly the same spot it lands an inch from the previous hole so it makes the wound channel bigger.
    Boom mic drop.
    Yea, because the animal stands perfectly still between your first and second shot.....
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.