Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Loose Ammo=Maxtoch Battery =Possible Death

Loose Ammo=Maxtoch Battery =Possible Death

Think it as Tahr who recounted an incident of ammunition being discharged by battery. My mate this afternoon had his hunting pack on the back of his truck with some loose ammo and unbeknownst to him also a Maxtoch 18650 battery. Got out and grabbed his pack and BOOM a round goes off just missing him. Badly shaken is probably an understatement as he rang and told me immediately afterwards. Very lucky.
    Moa Hunter, Micky Duck, MB and 1 others like this.

Huk
    YIIIIKES scary stuff never heard of that. Thanks will be more aware now

No guarantees but unlikely to seriously injure anything but your underpants.

And seriously doubt it could ever be fatal.
    Brian, 300CALMAN and Moa Hunter like this.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

That's the sort of thing that will give you nightmares. Lithium batteries need to be treated with a lot of respect.
    Loose ammo isn't ideal either.
    dannyb likes this.

Aside from the fact that I never carry loose ammo, always in my belt pouch or in the factory box, nor lith bats, spare ones always in a purpose designed bat holder, how exactly did this happen?
    Lithium batteries I treat with huge respect at all times.

F that!

Quote Originally Posted by Finnwolf View Post
    No guarantees but unlikely to seriously injure anything but your underpants.

And seriously doubt it could ever be fatal.
    YEAH NAH...round exploding close to your vital bits could do you some serious harm.... it is after all a small explosion
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Thanks Te Rei - that's a timely reminder. Important one..
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    YEAH NAH...round exploding close to your vital bits could do you some serious harm.... it is after all a small explosion
    I hear you but I was considering the event happened in a hunting pack.

I recall in Guns & Ammo where a 30-06 round was ‘cooked-off’ on an electric element.

The round was covered by a cardboard box and none of the bits of the cartridge penetrated the cardboard.

My 2-cents worth!
    300CALMAN and Micky Duck like this.

I had a 308 round explode in the breech of a finnwolf one day due to the firing pin being proud and when I went to eject the full round it went off and a piece of brass went in below my right tit and exited out the back muscle that goes down the side of your ribs. Didn't hurt but my ears were certainly ringing! Once I noticed blood dripping down my leg I thought I better investigate and ended up at ED. I told the male nurse that it was a workshop accident as I didn't know what they would do if they thought a firearm was involved. The nurse turned out to be a target shooter and reloader so I came clean and he put workshop accident down as the cause. I had an xray and no metal was located in me so a couple of stitches and off home. It did hurt the next few days while healing. If that brass had hit an artery it could well have been very serious, but lucky for me just a few veins were hit, so I think keep your batteries packed away, and your ammo as well.
    Moa Hunter, Micky Duck and BSA270 like this.

of the exploding round and the burning battery, the battery is of far more danger to your long term health. Current lithium ion battery technology uses cobalt to improve longevity and ironically add stability to the charge/discharge cycle. It is a heavy metal and is readily absorbed into the body's organs if you breath in the fumes from a burning battery. Already there are fire fighters in Aussie that are now permanently disabled from fighting EV fires without sufficient PPE.
    timattalon, Moa Hunter and No.3 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger7mm View Post
    I had a 308 round explode in the breech of a finnwolf one day due to the firing pin being proud and when I went to eject the full round it went off and a piece of brass went in below my right tit and exited out the back muscle that goes down the side of your ribs. Didn't hurt but my ears were certainly ringing! Once I noticed blood dripping down my leg I thought I better investigate and ended up at ED. I told the male nurse that it was a workshop accident as I didn't know what they would do if they thought a firearm was involved. The nurse turned out to be a target shooter and reloader so I came clean and he put workshop accident down as the cause. I had an xray and no metal was located in me so a couple of stitches and off home. It did hurt the next few days while healing. If that brass had hit an artery it could well have been very serious, but lucky for me just a few veins were hit, so I think keep your batteries packed away, and your ammo as well.
    Wow! As a Finnwolf owner I’ll bear that in mind!

Quote Originally Posted by Finnwolf View Post
    Wow! As a Finnwolf owner I’ll bear that in mind!
    Best get rid of the old antique.....
    Maca49 likes this.

Here's how it could be fatal... If this happens in the wild and your pack catches fire thanks to the combination of lithium and ammunition, and you lose your food, gear and PLB, you have no second chances on your trek home.

The solution?
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/4103909457
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Best get rid of the old antique.....