Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Loose Ammo=Maxtoch Battery =Possible Death

sneakywaza I got
    How about your ammo in a holder and a bit of lecki tape across terminals on the spare battery? Not really that hard. I seem to manage.
    zimmer, Moa Hunter and Finnwolf like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Finnwolf View Post
    I hear you but I was considering the event happened in a hunting pack.

I recall in Guns & Ammo where a 30-06 round was ‘cooked-off’ on an electric element.

The round was covered by a cardboard box and none of the bits of the cartridge penetrated the cardboard.

My 2-cents worth!
    We used to set .22s off with a hammer on an anvil. Place side down and flattening the primmer end. Projectile would bounce around the trusses,
    Like a fast bumble bee
    Lentil and zimmer like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    We used to set .22s off with a hammer on an anvil. Place side down and flattening the primmer end. Projectile would bounce around the trusses,
    Like a fast bumble bee
    How the hell did you live to be your young age!!!
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Everyone is entitled to their own stupid opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Lentil View Post
    Same way no helmet on a bike seat belt in a car the list goes on and it’s a bloody long one
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lentil View Post
    It was the lack of Karen's distracting them

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Like a fast bumble bee
    Do that on an anvil with a slice of gelly - magic!
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

Remember making fishing line launchers out of plastic waste. Pipe. Then filling it up with stones at the beach and blasting possums out of the trees. Most in the camp ground didn’t even blink…. Some German tourist on the other hand did you ever hear the saying “Don’t mention the war”!

They came around fast though when we gave em a go…some budding young Rommels right there
    257weatherby likes this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Hi Finnwolf
    The cause of the explosion was the hardened metal cap that is on the firing pin that the hammer strikes. It is held in place by a pin which had come out and the cap was loose and became wedged sideways, and when I cycled the action to extract a live round the cap was jammed and forced the firing pin forward which hit the detonator of the round being held by the bolt in the breech and it went off. I had just loaded some rounds for the Finnwolf and was cycling them through to ensure they could be ejected as the Finnwolf has a small ejection port and if you seat you projectiles out a little bit they cannot be ejected. The explosion blew the mag out the bottom, and I found the projectile on the concrete as well, the danger is not the projectile but the pieces of brass shrapnel.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

How do you get them out if too long? Short of stripping the action? Or firing.
    I have the same issue with my Barnard P actions. With a 284 cartridge, and even a long seated 308, if for some reason the shot is not taken, because you get into a no mans land situation with the loading port, the only way to extract the loaded round is to pull the bolt completely out with the round hooked on the extractor claw. Easy peezy but not a simple option on your rifle.

@Ruger7mm - I found out about the short ejection port the hard way when using a 7.62 drill round when trying to fix an issue of poor feeding out of the magazine.

Had to use a cleaning rod and a block of wood to push the tip of the projectile down enough to get the round out (about 2mm)

PS your explosion was probably exacerbated by being relatively confined.
    zimmer likes this.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’