Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: M1 Garand

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
    I don't think 5 round clips would make it legal as it can still hold 8 internally. That's like only loading 5 rounds in a 10 round mag, or only loading 5 rounds into a 10 round shotgun tube.
    You would need to restrict the actual internal capacity of what it can hold, not just use 5 round stripper clips.
    But it's sort of the same as being able to put a 30 shot mag in an A cat semi vs a 5... it can't function without a clip, and the clip determines the capacity.

As in the rifle doesn't directly feed rounds from the internal mag, it NEEDS an en bloc clip or else it is a single shot. So if you only use 5 shot enbloc clips, in my expert opinion you are good.
    Savage1, Deetleaves, 40mm and 1 others like this.

I may be wrong but I believe that when the mssa definition was being "developed" by pnhq, they deliberatly worded it so the M1 was included.
    The std 8 round clip can be modified to 5 by cutting and bending partway down so the follower can pass but the bent bits prevent the clip being completely filled. Shortening the whole thing evidently wont let it eject when empty
    Last edited by Marty Henry; 05-02-2018 at 10:14 PM.
    ChrisW likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    But it's sort of the same as being able to put a 30 shot mag in an A cat semi vs a 5... it can't function without a clip, and the clip determines the capacity
    Well damn, the plot thickens lol

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    I may be wrong but I believe that when the mssa definition was being "developed" by pnhq, they deliberatly worded it so the M1 was included.
    IIRC it was based on the mag capacity of a semi auto shotgun available at the time. Imagine how easy life would be if they just did something sensible and used 10.
    Marty Henry and ChrisW like this.

I thought I was pretty clear cut ...8 round en bloc clip..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

only 7 rounds fit into the internal mag, the 8th round goes into the chamber. cut the lug off and its A-cat
    its just like my semi 12 gauge. mag holds 7, but i can manually load an 8th into the chamber. magazine is still only capable of 7

FRST said "Just to be clear- you can run around with the bolt behind the 8th round. It's just not advisable/safe as the slightest jolt will send the bolt forward."

Which means that it can hold 8 rounds. If you were unable to keep the action open with 8 rounds in it you may be onto something, but since you can then it can hold 8 rounds in the magazine.

The law in itself is stupid. Nothing magical happens after 7 anyway. Is there a way of modifying a clip to only hold 7? If there is, then the rifle is A cat until you shove an 8 rounder in it (like every other semi auto)
    Deetleaves likes this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by 40mm View Post
    DO NOT CUT THAT OFF. please.
    I agree, I have one with the bayonet boss removed and will happily swap for one to save it been cut off.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
    FRST said "Just to be clear- you can run around with the bolt behind the 8th round. It's just not advisable/safe as the slightest jolt will send the bolt forward."

Which means that it can hold 8 rounds. If you were unable to keep the action open with 8 rounds in it you may be onto something, but since you can then it can hold 8 rounds in the magazine.
    Like I said earlier though, the bolt is designed to shut automatically once the clip is fully inserted, in practice it doesn't always happen

get your E, then look for a bayonet to go with it. then sit back and be happier with your complete rifle.
    Tikka7mm08, res, ChrisW and 1 others like this.
    Use enough gun

I had an A category one. It is possible to find them, quite rare though.
    -They have a 7 Round magazine. and as the law states the magazine determines the size, the 8th is in the chamber
    -as also mentioned this one missed the bayonet lug.

it's no different to a shotgun with a 7 round magazine +1.
    The law is magazine capacity, not firearm carriage.
    Those who say otherwise are speaking opinion rather than law.
    res likes this.

guys in our service rifle club have a cat ones, 5rd clips and no lug.