Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: making the change from 223 to 6.5grendel (maybe even 6mm arc?)

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    I mean if you could get a factory .243 with a 1:8 twist and shoot decent bullets it'd be hard to go past too. 6mm Creedmoor
    heard similar said about he mighty .270 many times too ......

Ive always had crazy idea in my head (yeah yeah I know,if its in my head it WILL BE crazy) to get a bakail single 222-223 and convert it to a .224 hi power savage..BUT would need to be a fast twist barrel..... we are to some extant reinventing the wheel,after all that old cartridge was chucking a 70-80grn pill out at similar speeds to what you are doing now.....given the same choice of projectiles and powders it would really shine in todays world too.
    I actually got the bakail..but are enjoying the humble .222 REMINGTON chambering....at the spitting ranges I usually enguage animals it is just fine n dandy.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

I mean if you could get a factory .243 with a 1:8 twist and shoot decent bullets it'd be hard to go past too. 6mm Creedmoor
    New production Remington 700 .243 rifles have a 1 in 8 twist, as do their .223 and 7mm mags.
    GPM.
    Micky Duck likes this.

I sold my 243 just because it was 1:10 and did not like anything more than 95gn, but with 1:8 twist 243 could be fun. Wanted the 6 ARC howa mini, since they not avail I bought a 224 Valkyrie. It has 1:7 barrel twist. The 88gn Hornady ELDMs do around 2800fps at muzzle, at 800m they still fly 1500fps.

I also run a 224 Valk, I'd be very interested in the load you are running with the 88s - PM me if you like

when I see folks type/say rifle wont shoot X weight projectile...I DO have a wee chuckle to self...they are half right......rifle wont group long sleak projectiles in X weight...but they sure as God made little green apples more than capable of printing respectable groups with that weight of projectile if its shorter n blunter.
    EG .270 winchester loves 160 or 170 grn round nose pills, too rare to waste on paper but when ever I do the ygroup very nicely indeed.
    MOST of the hunting authors /ex NZFS guys who used the EBRG to such good effect used 100grn loads,as does one of our forum members who shoots quite a few deer in bush,more than most anyway.....
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter_Nick View Post
    Hornady are quoting 2750fps with the 108 ELD-M from a 24” tube. That is immense performance from a small cartridge.
    The factory 6ARC is loaded to meet the lower pressure requirements of the AR's , bolt gun pressures are way higher and the 6ARC is capable of equalling the 243 . Not an issue if you handload .
    Gas guns max pressure is 52,000 psi , boltguns 62,000psi .Name:  Screenshot_20230322-173348_Drive.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  407.6 KB
    Very different to the anaemic factory offerings . For me , handloading would really make the ARC shine and I suspect the quoted text could be bettered with the right powder .

A .243 will smoke the 6mmARC with handloads and a 1:8 twist - i.e. all 4 book max loads listed by ADI are ~3050fps with a 108gr ELDM. It's cool that the new Remingtons come with 1:8, makes .243 great again.
    Micky Duck and PipIstrelle like this.

6CM also performs more or less equivalent to .243 and has 1:8 as a factory twist by default, and there is good factory ammo available - it just doesn't seem to have widely caught on like 6.5CM
    Micky Duck and PipIstrelle like this.

6CM also performs more or less equivalent to .243 and has 1:8 as a factory twist by default, and there is good factory ammo available - it just doesn't seem to have widely caught on like 6.5CM
    In fairness you called it a good few posts back , but I thought the remit was for a mini action. Hence the Grendel and ARC .
    I've read no end of load data claiming velocities over 3000 fps for the 243 using 105 grain + bullets,, never found a load that didn't heat the barrel and moderator or loosen primer pockets when achieving those velocities which would probably equate to shortening barrel life .My final load using R19 , saw 2938 fps with great accuracy. I'm a big fan of the 243 but decided on a slightly different route and have rebarreled in 6XC . I had an itch to scratch .
    In the end , they're all just different ways to skin the same cat .
    The 243s biggest failing was always the slow uptake by the manufacturers to recognise that the market wanted a faster twist option , they were all over this for the 223 . Makes me wonder if it was a deliberate marketing ploy .
    If I were buying a 6mm now , I'd be looking seriously at component and ammo availability before deciding . Over here 243 Lapua brass is around the £95 / 100 , the 6XC is obviously a little niche and the last I saw advertised were Norma at £168 / 100 , about 340NZD and availability is on par with unicorn tears at the moment.
    On balance, though not a mini action , the ubiquitous 243 still has a lot to offer ��.
    In the end it's whatever floats ya' boat and fits the bill .
    Micky Duck likes this.

Can you top load into the howa mini mags? Reason I ask is after chopping my mag I can't seem to get the catch to click. I was thinking if you can top load them I would just epoxy it in place.
    I haven't got any ammo loaded to try it myself.

Nope they wont top load . .

Tikka have changed their. 243 to 8 twist
    PipIstrelle likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    Nope they wont top load . .
    Oh well, more fiddling then. Be good when those proper bottom metal is available.

Jeffersonoutdoors have the hinged floorplate for the howa mini back in stock. Does anyone know who has an import permit for these?

Sorted the mag fit with a YouTube vid. Now I like carrying it, yah.
    Custom rifles are looking to bring in some proper jefferson bottom metal.