Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: The mans gun - 7mm08

The rifle looks good different colour scheme definitely would stand out like a sore thumb and atleast everyone would know it ain't thier rifle when at camp. Bloody nice scope and well done getting one like that out of the USA.
    Last edited by Grim; 02-04-2012 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pop Shot View Post
    Interested to hear how the 150gr TTSX go at 7/08 speeds - I was always under the impression you need to drop down in weight and drive them fast in order to get any decent expansion?

I've been contemplating shooting the 120gr version in my 7/08 - but can't fault the current 140gr BT load at all.
    Its not so much the expansion pop shot as the penetration and lack of fragmentation.
    When a bullet fragments it dumps a lot of its energy hopefully in the lungs. If you watch someone else shoot an animal with the binos often you can see it ripple out from the hit like throwing a pebble in a pond. This is hydraulic shock and what causes the blood between mussel groups around the hit.
    My experience is with the ttsx however I have watched a couple of kills with the tsx.
    The tipped ones definitely expand(130gr 30 cal anyway) in less than 2"s of penetration down to 2200fps WITHOUT HITTING BONE.
    Havent tested further out than this as thats what the amax is for.
    Have witnessed a 30 cal tsx(non tipped) take out 2 red hinds(with one shot) at around 180y both had similar damage. pill was just under skin on offside of second hind.
    Clearly this example shows it didnt expend alot of energy on the first animal.
    His were loaded rather "soft"
    Its the old E=MCsquared deal. lighter pill going faster will dump more energy in the animal(open to same diameter less sd = less penetration)

So yes IMHO you want to run barnes a step lighter than usual for cal but not because of lack of expansion. Its for transfer of shock(energy) to the animal instead of whatever is behind said animal.

Im sure Crankins 150s will do the job, but the 120 might get more bang flops.

People get all caught up in BC, its a close range pill forget bc push em hard and transfer shock.
    Last edited by veitnamcam; 02-04-2012 at 08:24 PM. Reason: BC
    jakewire likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Its not so much the expansion pop shot as the penetration and lack of fragmentation.
    When a bullet fragments it dumps a lot of its energy hopefully in the lungs. If you watch someone else shoot an animal with the binos often you can see it ripple out from the hit like throwing a pebble in a pond. This is hydraulic shock and what causes the blood between mussel groups around the hit.
    My experience is with the ttsx however I have watched a couple of kills with the tsx.
    The tipped ones definitely expand(130gr 30 cal anyway) in less than 2"s of penetration down to 2200fps WITHOUT HITTING BONE.
    Havent tested further out than this as thats what the amax is for.
    Have witnessed a 30 cal tsx(non tipped) take out 2 red hinds(with one shot) at around 180y both had similar damage. pill was just under skin on offside of second hind.
    Clearly this example shows it didnt expend alot of energy on the first animal.
    His were loaded rather "soft"
    Its the old E=MCsquared deal. lighter pill going faster will dump more energy in the animal(open to same diameter less sd = less penetration)

So yes IMHO you want to run barnes a step lighter than usual for cal but not because of lack of expansion. Its for transfer of shock(energy) to the animal instead of whatever is behind said animal.

Im sure Crankins 150s will do the job, but the 120 might get more bang flops.
    so out of curiosity as I am looking into going the 7mm-08 route if I can get my 308 to sell what advantages will I see over the 308 with the 7mm-08. What I have read in your post I have quoted is interesting especially when you say shooting the lighter pill may give more bang flops I am only asking this as I am very curious and have had no experience with the 7mm calibers.

It was a reply to the barnes not cal. If you want bang flops high lung shot with a pill that will shock the spine. Bang flops are caused(90% of the time) by shocking the spine. neck shot or high lung shot, done right by the time the animal recovers from the paralising effect of hydraulic shock to the spine they have blead out from the lungs or jugular(if you missed bone on a neck shot)
    the other 10% drop like a stone ,recover, and walk 10- 50y before keeling over. Something to watch out for.

Vietnamcam - cheers for the information. Think I'll stick to the 140gr BT's for now.... cheaper to run!

AB Precision
    We will have to test the 150gr out, i never recovered any of the 140 tipped ones that my 7mm launched all easy through one even went in the chest an out the rump

Hope you have shot the 6.5 by now? or ill pull the barrel an put a 338 on it for you at farken last!!!

I've also had the impression that you need to be shooting large animals to be able to use the TTSX to its full capabillitities? I've got some 115gr 25 cal sampler packs so that I would make myself go and buy the reloading gear as an incentive..... also how do Berger VLD hunting rounds perform on game?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock river arms hunter View Post
    I've also had the impression that you need to be shooting large animals to be able to use the TTSX to its full capabillitities? I've got some 115gr 25 cal sampler packs so that I would make myself go and buy the reloading gear as an incentive..... also how do Berger VLD hunting rounds perform on game?
    No expererience with the berger sorry, The ttsx open rapidly even without hitting bone tsx not so much. So still work well on smaller game like goats.

Quote Originally Posted by Pop Shot View Post
    Interested to hear how the 150gr TTSX go at 7/08 speeds - I was always under the impression you need to drop down in weight and drive them fast in order to get any decent expansion?

I've been contemplating shooting the 120gr version in my 7/08 - but can't fault the current 140gr BT load at all.
    I used those exact ones in my 7/08. But have since changed. i am trying the 130gn Speer's. They have been going great and dropped my big stag this year at a good range and the projectile was recovered and is perfectly formed. half the price of the barnes and double the amount!