Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Maybe my most anticipated purchases

Quote Originally Posted by Uplandstalker View Post
    The 3417yds was a standing, unsupported measurement. The divirgance of the laser is pretty tight and a cone. There is spec on it, will check it out. The rest out is really fast!

.....canon picture

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Calibre is??

338 Edge from East Coast Arms with 30 inch Proof Research barrel.

ebf likes this.

338 Edge from East Coast Arms with 30 inch Proof Research barrel.

Nice

Thanks for the info ...keen to hear your thoughts on the glass.
    I'm interested in pairing a set of the binos with a Sig BDX scope. Can purchase the binos in OZ for around A$1800 or NZ$1950
    tikka likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowhawk View Post
    Thanks for the info ...keen to hear your thoughts on the glass.
    I'm interested in pairing a set of the binos with a Sig BDX scope. Can purchase the binos in OZ for around A$1800 or NZ$1950
    After having these for about a week so far and getting in the hills only for a short time, I can say that the glass is better than I expected. Very bright, crisp and very clear. I still need to compare to the Vortex version and a few mates with high-end European binos.

In bright sunlight and ranging tussock I can reach to a little over 2,990yds and on dark surfaces when overcast over 3,400yds.

There are only two little things that I find odd:
    1. The focus wheel is set back maybe a little far and from my natural hand position, I feel like I'm having to reach back with my finger to turn the wheel
    2. The reticle and displayed information is configurable from 30 to 180 seconds before it automatically "sleeps". I wouldn't mind if this was configurable to say 15 seconds (but given this I'm spending lots of time just measuring stuff at the moment, it doesn't actually matter). But if using the correction data from the reticle, 30 seconds or more might be good too.

Struggling to find to much wrong at this stage, and will get a few more glassing days in to try and pick some holes in them. As expected, they are heavier than a normal pair of binos but compared to other rangefinding binos, they are in the same ballpark at just over 920gm. The Bushnell ARC are 880gm and Geovids are 975gm. This is the same weight as my previous Binos and separate range finder. Will be interesting if I noticed this during expected glassing periods. They do have a removable cover to allow for a tripod mount if you are "that way inclined".

These are sold in two different laser models, R3(US Market) and 1M(EU and other). the 1M is getting shipped into the US too, as this is what mine are. I believe the R3 is a higher powered laser and therefore should result in longer distances. But finding the 1M pretty bloody good! I'm aware that these are on order and maybe in transit to NZ for retailers at the moment, I'm not sure what variant is going to NZ, but either is very suitable I would say.
    Last edited by Uplandstalker; 13-05-2019 at 04:04 PM.
    Matt2308 likes this.

Interesting review Thanks Uplandstalker.
    There's no doubt the ranging capability of the binos is better than my Loopy rangefinder by a mile (literally)
    My binos are Swarovski so I hope I won't regret leaving them at home for these Sigs if I go ahead and purchase them.
    Because I want to pair with the BDX scope , the other option for me is flag the binos and swap out my rangefinder with the SIG BDX rangefinder.
    I will check back with any further updates you have on these in the meantime.
    Cheers
    Uplandstalker likes this.

I spent the past couple of days at the Sparrowhawk Individual Long Range Challenge and had the opportunity to compare the Sig's to plenty of others. Compared them to the Geovid HD-B and Zeiss Victory 10x42 RF.

Optically, there is no noticeable difference!

As for ranging ability, the Sig can stretch out further at over 3200m during the day and just over 4000m in the fading light. We compared a number of higher end range finders to some surverying equipment and they all measured with +/- 1m at 1664m.

We paired them up to a Kestrel Elite and got both elevation and windage corrections from Applied Ballistics to as far as we could measure (a really, really long way). The data is displayed in the Kestrel and in the Bino reticle.

Overall, everyone was pretty impressed and there were plenty of discussions on the retail price and availability in NZ.

The Sig 3000BDX is likely to be the most cost-effective solution for Long Range and Extreme Long Range shooting. A pair of these plus a Kestrel Elite is still cheaper than a set of Geovids and you gain the added value of full AB in the Kestel. The alternate option is the Sig 2400ABS (about the same money as the 3000BDX) and a good pair of binos, but still, some limitations distance measured and missing the measured wind, unless you carry a third bit of hardware that will push the total price up.
    outdoorlad and Mathias like this.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Thanks for the very informative report. Always good to get the real deal on this sort of gear with fair comparisons and points of view.

I spent the past couple of days at the Sparrowhawk Individual Long Range Challenge and had the opportunity to compare the Sig's to plenty of others. Compared them to the Geovid HD-B and Zeiss Victory 10x42 RF.

Optically, there is no noticeable difference!

As for ranging ability, the Sig can stretch out further at over 3200m during the day and just over 4000m in the fading light. We compared a number of higher end range finders to some surverying equipment and they all measured with +/- 1m at 1664m.

We paired them up to a Kestrel Elite and got both elevation and windage corrections from Applied Ballistics to as far as we could measure (a really, really long way). The data is displayed in the Kestrel and in the Bino reticle.

Overall, everyone was pretty impressed and there were plenty of discussions on the retail price and availability in NZ.

The Sig 3000BDX is likely to be the most cost-effective solution for Long Range and Extreme Long Range shooting. A pair of these plus a Kestrel Elite is still cheaper than a set of Geovids and you gain the added value of full AB in the Kestel. The alternate option is the Sig 2400ABS (about the same money as the 3000BDX) and a good pair of binos, but still, some limitations distance measured and missing the measured wind, unless you carry a third bit of hardware that will push the total price up.
    Very interesting!
    I have the kestrel needed and love applied ballistics and I have killed my zeiss rf binos so these are worth looking at for sure!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Sounds like a serious option to consider! Good report thanks!

Good meeting you over the weekend Steve.
    Warm Barrels!

they were pretty impressive. Ranged very quick even at 4k so you knew pretty much straight away if you didn't get a reading. Could hit 3500-3800 free hand. I needed a rest to get over 3800.