Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Mid range scope

+1 for vx5. Would also suggest vx3 but because you want mechanical reliability for dialling etc I'd take the step up. Vx3s have been known to be a little hit and miss in the past, that being said I've never had a problem with any of mine. I too felt the z5 a little flimsy and went back to a vx5 firedot. Also if you can still find one take a lookat the the zeiss conquest dl, I've not long bought one and glass quality is really up there, a much nicer scope than the hd5 in my opinion. Even at 12 power I dont miss the parallax adjustment.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    @Jit has a V6 Zeiss for sale that should tick all your boxes.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Hi all - reviving this old thread in case there are a few people around knowledgeable to help me. I have been using a VX Freedom 3-9. It's been perfect as I've got used to deer and I've taken deer at 250 yards wit it. In saying that, I know soon I'll have a shot come up that is 300 or 350 and so I'm wondering what the next move would be, scope wise. There's a few VX3i scopes around, but they are all duplex. This doesn't seem like it would help - it would make my target look bigger but I'm no better off in terms of factoring bullet drop.

What caliber and game size are you talking.
    My son took his first 12 pointer at approx 250yd using a 1-4x20 on my lever action.
    So don't get too hung up scopes.
    Are you Bush hunting or only tops. For Bush you want something with a min of 2 or3 power.
    Also quality of glass can help resolve small holes in paper better than High magnification.

Are you happy to dial up or are you after something with a BDC retical. Either way you need a range finder.
    Z

I'd stick with nightforce nxs or s and b. I have a 2.5-10 by 32 which has great glass and a smaller front ocular allowing it to mount lower,it's fitted with a velocity reticle which works with my 375hh using 270 grains.they don't make it any more but do small runs now and again.Name:  20230205_105440.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  3.82 MBName:  20230205_105440.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  3.82 MBv

Sorry - .308. I have a range finder, and hunt wherever there are deer. I've shot deer mostly on tops so far, and that is where my duplex worries me; not a good instrument to factor in bullet drop. I am zeroed at 200 yards, so I'm OK out to 250. Beyond that I don't feel as confident.

Get a VX5 2.5-10 or 3-15x Duplex and dial for longer distances. Great all round scope. Even better get the Firedot reticule.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

I have a Burris Veracity 2-10x42 with the FFP and ballistic compensating (Graduated Lines). Run your load though the app and you can get the aim points for each hash line.
    Also like the course outer edge on the reticule make it easy to see on low power and low light.
    If you are shooting to 500 mtr you may want to step up to a 3-15, signature or veracity depending upon budget.
    Illuminated is nice but not essential, better quality glass is better.
    Z