Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By gimp
  • 1 Post By gimp
  • 2 Post By caberslash

Thread: Model 7 mag length question

Model 7 mag length question

At some point I am looking to change the barrel on my .223 Model 7 to a 1-8 twist one, not decided on barrel manufacturer yet.

Question is about the internal mag box. Is it possible to have the metal spacer removed or modified to allow longer rounds?
    Also if so, what replacement follower would be suitable?

Looking at it I think it would be relatively easy to modify but I can't really seem to find much info on it. Wouldn't be interested in changing to detachable mag, not my cuppa tea.

So far just an idea and not committed to it but trying to figure if it's viable?

@gimp he has done a mag change to his model 7

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

Yeah but I think he replaced it with AICS mags? I'm not really keen on detachable mag.

This has been discussed recently here: https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....ger-mag-93729/

Someone told me "there was an article by Greg Duley way back that said you couldn’t lengthen a model 7 mag, there is not enough meat in the action at the mag of the mag to lengthen in any way."

I might have to talk to @gimp, I would personally be fine with detachable if it was possible / the only solution.

I have a CDI mag kit for AICS mags, CDI no longer exists but there are other option (e.g. Badger)

you could remove the block from the rear of the factory mag and either replace it, just a bit further back, and use the factory follower and hope that it would feed - or extend the factory follower a fracco somehow - or remove the block and try make a replacement longer follower - 3D printing could be a good option?
    Preacher likes this.

I did this on win mod70 short action 284. Removed the spacer, and shortened the ejector. I did plan to make a 3d printed follower or stick something to the back but it's never caused any issues.

I'd leave it as is and load it as long as I could before I go detachable magazine.

I hate them with a passion, for no particular reason other than I like to carry at magazine point without anything in the way.

Thanks for the replies.

I have no difficulties with carrying rifles with a detachable magazine
    No.3 likes this.

It's not about difficulty it's just not pleasant for me, the rifles I have or have had that had even slightly protruding mags always made me think "it would be better if it was flush floorplate."

Each to their own, But I was asking if it was possible to avoid the detachable mag setup. It is fine if not I will maximize it as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    At some point I am looking to change the barrel on my .223 Model 7 to a 1-8 twist one, not decided on barrel manufacturer yet.

Question is about the internal mag box. Is it possible to have the metal spacer removed or modified to allow longer rounds?
    Also if so, what replacement follower would be suitable?

Looking at it I think it would be relatively easy to modify but I can't really seem to find much info on it. Wouldn't be interested in changing to detachable mag, not my cuppa tea.

So far just an idea and not committed to it but trying to figure if it's viable?
    Few points:

M7's are designed around a 2.8" COAL, and use standard Remington 700 S/A magazine boxes and springs (the only part which is compatible between models).

Your .223 can be lengthened to use all of this spare room, whilst still keeping the original floorplate, but the difficultly will be getting it to feed/cycle reliably.

The great benefit of AICS (Accuracy International Chassis System) magazines is that they converted the Remington 700 from a double stack, double feed internal mag to a single stack, single feed detachable magazine. This is a great improvement for reliable feeding, as it eliminates the possibility of getting the bullet nose stuck on the recessed portion of the breech face which is endemic to the Remington 700 and M7 (see the 'Three Rings of Steel' concept).

This problem can happen more readily on the M7 when loading with long/VLD type bullets with a pointy nose/tip. You can force the bolt forward and clear the jam but it often results in the bullet nose/tip being damaged. More often than not, it happens on the first round of a fully loaded magazine where pressure from the compressed spring is at its highest.

Hawkins, Waters Rifleman, MDT etc etc have all jumped on this train. MDT make a nice flush-fit polymer 3 round AICS magazine but sadly only for the 308/6.5CM family and not 223 or short action magnums.

Converting to an AICS mag will erase most of the above concerns, but since you have rejected the idea out of hand already...

Look at this thread: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...le#Post2740655

If you can wield a rotary grinder and find a Rem 700 S/A 308/6.5CM length follower and magazine spring, you can grind them to fit a modified .223 box.

You'll probably have to adjust the feed lips as well.

Good luck!
    Preacher and Roarless20 like this.