Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

Like Tree831Likes

Thread: The model 7 in your life

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    Back in December 2019 a good ole hunting mate was very sadly taken from us quite a few years too soon. Wayno had and loved his original model 7 in 243 win. He'd used it to hunt rereationally and also do some commercial goat culling over the years. Many many goats and lots of venis had fallen to Wayno and his beloved Remmy Model 7.

He'd shot out the original factory barrel, not surprising with the mobs of goat that had been slayed with it. He had sourced a new barrel via Trueflite and then had God himself (Allan Carr) machine and fit the barrel. Wayno had great respect for Allan's Gunsmithing, hence he called him God ;-).

I'd enjoyed Wayno's company on several weekend long hunting trips, and heard reports of many more of his hunting stories, normally involving the little M7 243. I certainly knew his love for the little pea shooter.

Anyway a little while after Wayno left us, i was offered his prized Model 7 to purchase. I knew it was a great little rifle and thought it'd be pretty neat to have it and take it out now and then and shoot another deer for Wanyo with it. So i grabbed it!

Well i spent a couple of hours at the range this morning, once i finished sorting the other rifles, i thought id put a couple of rounds thru Waynes little 243. I used some of his handloads that came with the rifle. I normally wouldnt be too keen on shooting any old loads i hadnt made, but i had much faith in Wayne's handloading ability so thought id see how they went.

After a couple of shots at 100 to confirm zero, i went back to 300 and fired a couple at my steel plate, WOW! Through the scope i could see one impact that appear to be two shots very close together. There were now only two of those loads left in the box, so i left them for now and went up to the target to check.

Two impacts .560 inch centre to centre! Thats like .175moa LOL. I kinda wish id fired a third now just to see what happened. But i wanted to measure those two up and pull them apart to confirm bullet weight and powder charge weight, which ive now done and have the load details.

Im now keen to load some more up and get out and take a deer with it now.

Bloody neat little shooter me ole mate, i can see why you were so fond of it!
    Awesome stuff it's gone to a good home.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk
    Tahr, GWH and Micky Duck like this.

That's one fine shooter, Wayno would be happy with that.
    Tahr and GWH like this.

A post revive. Picked up Tahr's old model 7 that cartman had. Aiming for a light weight rig for Fiordland this season and other hunting. All up weighed in just over 3kg. The laminate stock is 1.1kg of that. Stripped and found it has an alloy shroud which was a nice surprise. Then went to town on the metal. Made a few holes in the bolt handle and magazine. Metal weighs 1941 grams now. Thought of slabbing the action but probably wont bother. Carbon stock to make next and sell a child for a March scope.
    Name:  20201114_085806.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  4.13 MB goimg to cerakote so was a little rough on the edge breaking on pockets.
    Name:  20201113_122744.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  3.43 MB
    One side done.
    Might flute the shroud and the firing pin too. Hoping for 2.4kg with no scope
    muzr257, Ranal and Ryan_Songhurst like this.

Shaved shroud. Still a J lock pin. Name:  16053296584735178980585509342943.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  3.48 MB
    Ryan_Songhurst likes this.

Im guessing you cut handle off toothbrush and cutlery??? open sights will be lighter than scope and mounts....

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    Im guessing you cut handle off toothbrush and cutlery??? open sights will be lighter than scope and mounts....
    Just eat with hands and dont brush teeth mate.
    Or i just have a cnc mill and time to play!

Quote Originally Posted by robhughes-games View Post
    Just eat with hands and dont brush teeth mate.
    Or i just have a cnc mill and time to play!
    One of the guys l hunted with in Alaska was a clever bugger with the CNC Mill & made a bolt handle for his M7 that was moddeled off a 1800's silver spoon & shaped like a shaved down airplane wing thicker at the front edge tapering off,sort of a ultra modern version of the old Man licker bolts.He rated it as it did not gather gunk in the scrub & gave good full purchase to work even with gloved hands .

Name:  20200903_150412.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  4.78 MBName:  20201020_175451.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  3.06 MB

This is my little model 7

Got it from remmodel7 off here.
    7mm08
    It had a 18" barrel.

However I've since: shortened the barrel to 16" and added a spacer for my lanky arms.

Burris SixX 2-12x40, my DPT can off my 308. Warne rings and mounts.

And for a bush rifle that can reach out on clearings.

I'd say that group is more than enough.

Love that little rifle its such a cute wee thing.

Basically bought it as a rough and tumble dont care if I scratch it in crap bush type of rifle.
    GWH, chainsaw and dannyb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by robhughes-games View Post
    Shaved shroud. Still a J lock pin. Attachment 153678
    Cripes. I wouldn't recognise it now. What weight do you think you will get it down to?

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Cripes. I wouldn't recognise it now. What weight do you think you will get it down to?
    Might be nearly as light as a kimber Montana

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    GWH likes this.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock river arms hunter View Post
    Attachment 153791Attachment 153792

This is my little model 7

Got it from remmodel7 off here.
    7mm08
    It had a 18" barrel.

However I've since: shortened the barrel to 16" and added a spacer for my lanky arms.

Burris SixX 2-12x40, my DPT can off my 308. Warne rings and mounts.

And for a bush rifle that can reach out on clearings.

I'd say that group is more than enough.

Love that little rifle its such a cute wee thing.

Basically bought it as a rough and tumble dont care if I scratch it in crap bush type of rifle.
    Nice! That will work just fine! What bullet are you running in it?

I have a similar mod 7 7mm08, it was a cheap trademe purchase. When it arrived i was a bit dissapointed in its condition, it was pretty scruffy to be fair. A rough as guts pig hunter had had it and it was quite knocked about.

The alloy trigger guard was squashed flat.
    A suppressor had been left on for an ectended period of time and there was some bad corrosion and pitting on the exterior of the barrel. A barrel chop to 15 inch removed nearly all of it.

The stock was very knocked about too. But i fitted another stock i had lying about.

And heres the result. Its now a bloody neat wee gun. Its balanced really nicely and easy to maneuver in the tight stuff.

Im running 140 NBTs at 2700 fps with CFE223 which is pretty good medicine for close to med range hunting.

I shot a fallow at 270 yards with it just over a month ago. And I'd be happy to push it to 400 yds if i had too.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    chainsaw and Ranal like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    Nice! That will work just fine! What bullet are you running in it?

I have a similar mod 7 7mm08, it was a cheap trademe purchase. When it arrived i was a bit dissapointed in its condition, it was pretty scruffy to be fair. A rough as guts pig hunter had had it and it was quite knocked about.

The alloy trigger guard was squashed flat.
    A suppressor had been left on for an ectended period of time and there was some bad corrosion and pitting on the exterior of the barrel. A barrel chop to 15 inch removed nearly all of it.

The stock was very knocked about too. But i fitted another stock i had lying about.

And heres the result. Its now a bloody neat wee gun. Its balanced really nicely and easy to maneuver in the tight stuff.

Im running 140 NBTs at 2700 fps with CFE223 which is pretty good medicine for close to med range hunting.

I shot a fallow at 270 yards with it just over a month ago. And I'd be happy to push it to 400 yds if i had too.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    I run the 160gr TMK at 2430fps

In going off the theory of a softer heavier weighted bullet with a higher BC. I want to blood something with it haha
    dannyb likes this.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock river arms hunter View Post
    I run the 160gr TMK at 2430fps

In going off the theory of a softer heavier weighted bullet with a higher BC. I want to blood something with it haha
    Its a good theory mate, same reason i run 162 Amax in my 17" 284.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    The metal work doesnt loose much weight. Have a cnc mill and like tinkeringmetal work it 1941g so plus stock and stock hoping for under 3kg

Could be interested in th 7mm08 if you are selling ?