Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Modular rifle build

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    Buy a chassis to fit what you like and replace the plastic furniture with Walnut?
    Interesting thought. I like wood for hunting as metal is not nice against skin, particularly in below zero conditions. If you've hunted at altitude in icy conditions with a Ruger PR its illuminating . . .
    Marty Henry likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by norsk View Post
    Strasser system rifle?
    Its like a Blaser but for straight Blokes.
    Straight pull gun Lego... Looks awesome!
    mikee likes this.

I believe @The Claw has done the same kind of thing with that bighorn action??
    "O what a day, what a lovely day"

R93
    Meh.Just an over engineered blaser imo.
    Having the milled rail loses the modular tag for me and means you cannot swap scopes quickly or guarantee zero like the blaser. To me that's what makes the blaser besides its practicality, is that using the same ammo I can go from a low power scope for close country and swap it to a scope for LR in seconds and guarantee zero.

It looks as long, chunky and ugly as an A5 shotgun.
    Huge bolt thro compared to blaser.
    Parts essential to field stripping housed in the rifle is a potential disaster for kiwi hunters. Especially a klutz like me.
    Blaser only requires one Allen key.
    I doubt the trigger or accuracy would be any better either. However I do like the trigger system.
    Suits a euro or yank hunter sitting in a stand or on a range shooting targets.

I'll stay gay with my 25yr old blaser.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

I've handled the basic Strasser version and I'd agree that the Blaser is a much better option (if you like Blaser's, which I don't). Proprietary systems where you're pretty much "locked in" just don't thrill me.

For me "modular" means the ability to mix and match from a range of barrels, triggers, stocks, mags etc.
    R93 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    I've handled the basic Strasser version and I'd agree that the Blaser is a much better option (if you like Blaser's, which I don't). Proprietary systems where you're pretty much "locked in" just don't thrill me.

For me "modular" means the ability to mix and match from a range of barrels, triggers, stocks, mags etc.
    so something based on the M700 action with savage style barrel attachment maybe
    rossi.45 likes this.

Thats the "Remage" system for switch barrels and it seems to work pretty good. The "switch lug" https://westtexordnance.com/switchlug/ is an alternative, that is very interesting as its a whole lot less intrusive and possibly easier to do - and it should work with carbon wrapped barrels. I just conducted a wee test using a reloading die in the press. I could set the die to a desired depth (in a barrel threaded to an action = headspace) and hand tighten. If I put 20 inch lbs of torque on the die locking ring set screw (using split locking ring) I had to use a lot of weight on a open ended spanner to shift the die out (I couldn't adapt my big torque wrench to fit on a die to measure it). I could control the depth readily to plus or minus .001". I'd be interested in a machinists view of this.

I have a west Texas lug but I hanot mounted yet.
    If you look at the new terminus action, the barrel is hand tighten and two grub screw finish to lock it in place either side

Also, tikka t3 have a very constant manufacturing process and so far on all the barrels I have swapped, the headspace has been always bang on.you just need a good barrel vise and wrench set up to do and undo your barrels.
    There are also so many boltless barrelled actions around that with one bolt you could use multi calibres with out the worry of doing and undoing barrels

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    Is that because of the famed 'modular self-releasing bolt'?
    Haha - with a WTO recoil lug (or the Terminus system @Friwi refers to) we could have them (Tikka's) loosing barrels as well . . . . .

Straight pull bolt action of any interest.
    See the browning that gun city are promoting.
    did I miss caliber selection. from your list of requirements I'm guessing the 223 and similar power levels are out. short action so that takes out the cannons.
    So, 220swift, 22-250, 6mm and 6.5mm.
    Assuming as you are talking about pest to goats out to 500 mtr anything 7mm and bigger is out?.
    Z

Interesting thought. I like wood for hunting as metal is not nice against skin, particularly in below zero conditions. If you've hunted at altitude in icy conditions with a Ruger PR its illuminating . . .
    Closed cell eva foam stuck to the foreend and cheek pad should work and also give a sort of arctic camo pattern look.

drilling with a couple of barrel sets???? sure ticks the wood n blue boxes...sure to hold value over time...sure to be handed down to next generation....sure to be diferent.

Get where you’re coming from but I would’ve thought a blaser would tick most of the boxes. Yes, you’re confined to blaser-branded components, but I don’t see a problem with that as their quality/functionality is as good as anything on the market. You pay for it though...

Also interested in what cartridge you go with. 223 with heavy pills could be a goer, but maybe not on goats at 500yd!