Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: How do you build your own rifle?

How do you build your own rifle?

Hey guys,
    I have a perfectly good, almost brand new 223 in my gun safe (that doesn't get used). What I was thinking of doing was flicking it off for a 17 Hornet when they come out. I love my little 17HMR, but want a little more range, and not to have to buy overpriced, inconsistent factory ammo.

Instead, I could use what I've got (or sell it) and build my own rifle. I like the sound of having a wildcat rifle, and a 17-223 sounds like a good idea to me (sure it's not all that efficient for powder usage... and it's nearly the same as a 17 remington, but hell who cares).

So, if one of you guys that likes to build your own rifles was going to go through a process like this... what would you do and where would you go to get stuff?

I'm wondering if I can just get a 223 action from Howa, get a custom barrel from somewhere (no idea where or what cost), and put it all together in a Boyds stock.

Is this something someone with reloading knowledge good enough to reload factory rounds (and no fancy shit) should be attempting? I obviously don't want to blow myself up loading for a caliber that doesn't exist.

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    If its pretty close to 17 Rem, then just send it off to someone and get them to rebarrel it in 17 Rem and flick the factory barrel on TM or something
    Can buy dies, brass etc - all easy

There is a good Sub 224 cal forum around in the US - cant remeber the name of it off hand - Sauiber? - lots of info etc there

Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post
    If its pretty close to 17 Rem, then just send it off to someone and get them to rebarrel it in 17 Rem and flick the factory barrel on TM or something
    Can buy dies, brass etc - all easy

There is a good Sub 224 cal forum around in the US - cant remeber the name of it off hand - Sauiber? - lots of info etc there
    Cheers Spanners. That's always another option too (providing it's not the cost of a new rifle!). Is 17 REM still able to use the 223 bolt?

It's kind of a big clunker of a rifle for a 223. It's long action (or looks it compared to my 7mm model 700), and weighs a tonne. Hence I was possibly thinking of building something smaller. Those little Zatsavas are sized nice for a 223... maybe something like that would make an ok base.

Quote Originally Posted by RimfireNZ View Post
    Cheers Spanners. That's always another option too (providing it's not the cost of a new rifle!). Is 17 REM still able to use the 223 bolt?

It's kind of a big clunker of a rifle for a 223. It's long action (or looks it compared to my 7mm model 700), and weighs a tonne. Hence I was possibly thinking of building something smaller. Those little Zatsavas are sized nice for a 223... maybe something like that would make an ok base.
    A Zastava would be an awesome base, but some guys are trying to sell them for more than the brand new price on Trademe. A few years ago you wouldn't have paid more than $300 for a secondhand one.

kj

For the 17 Hornet the obvious choice is a BRNO 22 Hornet with a knachered barrel. Soddy?

Hey guys,
    I have a perfectly good, almost brand new 223 in my gun safe (that doesn't get used). What I was thinking of doing was flicking it off for a 17 Hornet when they come out. I love my little 17HMR, but want a little more range, and not to have to buy overpriced, inconsistent factory ammo.

Instead, I could use what I've got (or sell it) and build my own rifle. I like the sound of having a wildcat rifle, and a 17-223 sounds like a good idea to me (sure it's not all that efficient for powder usage... and it's nearly the same as a 17 remington, but hell who cares).

So, if one of you guys that likes to build your own rifles was going to go through a process like this... what would you do and where would you go to get stuff?

I'm wondering if I can just get a 223 action from Howa, get a custom barrel from somewhere (no idea where or what cost), and put it all together in a Boyds stock.

Is this something someone with reloading knowledge good enough to reload factory rounds (and no fancy shit) should be attempting? I obviously don't want to blow myself up loading for a caliber that doesn't exist.
    i see adi has load data for 17-223 so there must be all the gear out there to camber it.

when i started out looking at a wildcat i wanted to neck down the 308 norma magnum after doing some homework i found the 264 win mag was only 1mm shorter so i chose to compromise. so if theres something close to what you want you could save a lot of coin. on the other hand what if you necked down like a 7mm fatso a used a short action, just a insane thought.

Why not re-chamber your Savage to .223 AI? Chuck it in a fibreglass stock etc

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Why not re-chamber your Savage to .223 AI? Chuck it in a fibreglass stock etc
    Do the ackley improved versions of these calibers actually make enough of a difference to bother?

I want a small, light little carry rifle that is quiet. Plus... I want a 17 cal... for no other reason than I want one. I love my 17HMR and just want another 100 meters out of it.

Maybe I just need to get a 17 hornady hornet. Unless I can get my hands on a burnt out little brno or zatsava or something I can get rebarreled. I'm in no rush anyway.

Do the ackley improved versions of these calibers actually make enough of a difference to bother?

I want a small, light little carry rifle that is quiet. Plus... I want a 17 cal... for no other reason than I want one. I love my 17HMR and just want another 100 meters out of it.

Maybe I just need to get a 17 hornady hornet. Unless I can get my hands on a burnt out little brno or zatsava or something I can get rebarreled. I'm in no rush anyway.
    .17 Javaliener? I read about them,I think on that Suabier sight
    Last edited by madjon_; 01-01-2013 at 09:05 AM. Reason: speeling
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out

Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out

300 black out use exzisting brass and re barrel the rifle

If you are wanting to sell your .223 and it's a Savage, PM me, I may be interested but I'm really wanting an AR or R15

.17 Predator Centerfire Wildcat Rifle Cartridge

there was a really good 17cal rifle builder i was reading about a few years back

the short fall is the rifle becomes overbore and dosnt have the 10,000+ life span of the 223

brass prep is a pain in the ass, if you can go standard cal and avoid it id reccomend that, or else get into it knowing that you will live to hate that job

might as well go 17-204 if the action is capable, but like you say a zastava mini action would be a much better start point, and they are cheep to buy.

the trick is stay with the same bolt face and bullet taper if possible then feeding problems dont rear their ugly head, and gunsmith costs are limited

possible options that would be easy would be the 17-223 17-222 17-204 or an akley version of any one of those
    with the 17-204 at least you are only necking down from 20 cal to 17 instead of 22 cal.
    but as allways 223 would be the cheapest source of cases

the best way to go about it is work backwards from the end product you want, that way atleast when you finish you end up with something you want to use.

ebf
    Sabot accuracy sucks like Electrolux. If it worked, every competitive bench rest shooter would be using it
    Kiwi-Hunter likes this.