Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: How do you build your own rifle?

why not 20 cal? easier to load and those 17 pills are just that bit smaller and harder to grab... Will have the legs and longer barrel life compared to the 17

or better yet use the 223 and learn a bit of drop, my kids one with its Tui man can is soo quite, less than a .22lr and it will be able to shoot thousands of rounds through it, big 17 cals bark pretty load so need a can more so than a 223 IMHO
    Fishing ... Hunting its all good

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar

Re: How do you build your own rifle?

Can't wait to get my 17 cal up & running. It's on the way back from tuiman now. Was up there for a can and flute job, but there was a surprise for Abe when he unscrewed the barrel... :rolleyes: its now a 17 fireball (thanks for the reamer Muzr257). Had my 1st go at brass forming for it. From 222 to 17fb...

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar

Eeekkk...

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

would you care to explain
    BURN BABY BURN
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Oh that's nasty!

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by geezejonesy View Post
    would you care to explain
    looks like some one has set the barrel back for a shorter case....by machining it back without cutting any new thread... only have of the action thread is used.... she don't get too much rougher than that.... I have seen a couple of shockers on old Mauser's as well
    Fishing ... Hunting its all good

If you want flat as a pancake shooting at moderate distances you could try loading some little 35 or 40gr projectiles for the 223, they get fairly close to 204 speeds and are pretty explosive on small game.

Realistically a different rifle isn't going to save you that much weight because yours (American Classic isn't it?) is average weight rather than heavy - Zastava is about 300g lighter IIRC and Savage Lightweight Hunter (lightest reasonably priced factory rifle I know of) 300g less than that.

Does it have a massive high-magnification scope on it? I made mine much nicer to carry/handle by swapping the 5-15x50 over to a spare 3-9x42 I had lying around.

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    If you want flat as a pancake shooting at moderate distances you could try loading some little 35 or 40gr projectiles for the 223, they get fairly close to 204 speeds and are pretty explosive on small game.

Realistically a different rifle isn't going to save you that much weight because yours (American Classic isn't it?) is average weight rather than heavy - Zastava is about 300g lighter IIRC and Savage Lightweight Hunter (lightest reasonably priced factory rifle I know of) 300g less than that.

Does it have a massive high-magnification scope on it? I made mine much nicer to carry/handle by swapping the 5-15x50 over to a spare 3-9x42 I had lying around.

I have a 1:9 twist rate so I haven't tried the lighted pills yet. People keep telling me they wont shoot well in it, but I'll give it a go some time. I just don't want to cough up for a whole box of pills. The lightest I've tried 55 and they didn't shoot as well as the heavier stuff. So far 77s at the best.

And yeah I have a huge scope on it. A Weaver Grand Slam 6-20.

Slow twist only affects heavier pills as it might not stabilise them, light pills will be sweet!
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Quote Originally Posted by Spudattack View Post
    Slow twist only affects heavier pills as it might not stabilise them, light pills will be sweet!
    1:9 is a fast twist rate. I guess as long as the bullets hold together theres no such thing as too fast

Quote Originally Posted by RimfireNZ View Post
    1:9 is a fast twist rate. I guess as long as the bullets hold together theres no such thing as too fast
    Sorry rimfire, quite correct, was half pissed when I wrote that! Should still stabilise light pills no sweat!
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Quote Originally Posted by RimfireNZ View Post
    if you have all the figures JBM check these calculators out might save you buying bullets for nothing and if your after a bullet you can push have a look here http://impalabullets.co.za/ happy hunting

223 should be good, what is it? a lee anerversary reloading kit is $200nz plus dies, say $80. You could then reload fairly cheaply.
    Last edited by steven; 21-01-2013 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    223 should be good, what is it? a lee anerversary reloading kit is $200nz plus dies, say $80. You could then reload fairly cheaply.
    Yeah I already reload for it, just tried 55, 69 and 77 grainers. The got more accurate as they got heavier. I might see about one of those sampler packs youcan get on trademe. Some of those lighter pills you can get up to 3700... Jeez that's moving.

Ejected
    PM me your address and I'll send some 50's up.