Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Mossberg MVP

Quote Originally Posted by GregGregGreg View Post
    You're talking about the awesome 308 model tho and OP is talking about the 223 model which is a really boring gun to have in 223. No one wants to bolt 223
    The LR model comes in both .223 & .308 as does the MVP patrol. Both models take AR pattern mags

Got my patrol 223 on Friday and fired about 30 rounds through it. First impressions are that I like it. Very light and the fibre optic open sights are very quick and easy to pick up. Nice to fire, no issues working the bolt and cycling through. The mag doesn’t have the nice “click”when it seats so I give it a tap on the bottom (the rifle that is) to make sure. Anything up to 80-100m the open sights seem to work well, over that and the size of the sights start to blur out the whole target. I’ll hunt with it as is for goats and think it will work great, if I find I need longer range I’ll look at putting a scope on. Overall for what I bought it for it is perfect, the only thing I might look for is a barrel forward suppressor that can be used with the open sights, but not for a while.
    short swede, Fawls and FatLabrador like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Addo007 View Post
    Got my patrol 223 on Friday and fired about 30 rounds through it. First impressions are that I like it. Very light and the fibre optic open sights are very quick and easy to pick up. Nice to fire, no issues working the bolt and cycling through. The mag doesn’t have the nice “click”when it seats so I give it a tap on the bottom (the rifle that is) to make sure. Anything up to 80-100m the open sights seem to work well, over that and the size of the sights start to blur out the whole target. I’ll hunt with it as is for goats and think it will work great, if I find I need longer range I’ll look at putting a scope on. Overall for what I bought it for it is perfect, the only thing I might look for is a barrel forward suppressor that can be used with the open sights, but not for a while.
    What's the trigger pull like, and what size and type of magazine are you using ?

Quote Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
    What's the trigger pull like, and what size and type of magazine are you using ?
    Trigger pull feels nice and light. They have a fully adjustable trigger which can be done at home but I don’t think I will be changing it in a hurry. Using the standard 10 shot mag but might try to get a 20 at some stage and use the ten as a spare.

Awesome information thank you
    Addo007 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tiroatedson View Post
    Mine happened to be a 595 all master weather..stainless synthetic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I havent seen one of those, sounds nice. I bet the stainless would look good on my wood stock.
    Use enough gun

Quote Originally Posted by 40mm View Post
    I havent seen one of those, sounds nice. I bet the stainless would look good on my wood stock.
    If you like that sort of thing...yeah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hows the MVP working out for you, Addo?

Quote Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
    Hows the MVP working out for you, Addo?
    Still no issues, probably 60 rounds through it, cycles the rounds with no problems. Still tossing up whether a low power scope would be beneficial but I really like the open sites, they are great for closer shots, it’s anything over that 100m distance that the sites start to blur out the target. But I got it for mobs of goats up close and the fibre optic front site stands out awesome. I’m reluctant to put one on it just because I can and have a tendency to start spending money even when it doesn’t need it. So no complaints, I’ll keep using it as it is. I think it would be a great pig gun too
    short swede likes this.