Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Most comfortable/steady rifle

Most comfortable/steady rifle

Morning everyone,

I was having a conversation with another hunter the other day about some of the nicer rifles that we have used over the years. Something interesting that came up, is that there are some rifles that when you hold it up to your shoulder, it just seems to sit steadily and very comfortably, where as other rifles tend to be much harder to keep still. I'm sure many of you have experienced the same thing. An example is recently i was gifted two .22s. They are the exact same make and model and look identical, but the wooden stocks have been made slightly differently to each other, and so the weight distribution is different. One is ok when you pick it up to shoot, but the other just sits in your hand beautifully with hardly any movement.

When shooting off-hand I reckon that the biggest accuracy factor is how comfortable you are with the rifle because it impacts how steady you are when you pull the trigger. Of course you can make any rifle work if you're shooting at close range, but if you have to pull off a quick, tricky shot, then it helps a huge amount to have a stable rifle.

The thing we couldn't figure out though, is what makes a rifle so steady. Lighter, shorter rifles tend to be more steady in my experience but maybe it's more to do with where the weight is balanced. This being said, I have used a friends 7-08 with a 23" barrel, also suppressed, and that was one of the most steady rifles i've picked up.

So, what are the most steady rifles you guys have used, and what makes them that way?

Caretaker
    Any Sako 75

And any short action Sako Carbonlite
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

early Remingtons seem to have the balance factor right- or just really suit me - my Rem 1975 700 BDL in .222 I rate highly for handling but does not have a can- likewise my old 788 in 308 with can and 18 1/2 barrel is also very nice to handle quickly - two that really stood out was my beloved 742 Woodsmaster and a Benelli semi auto I used - both handled really well but now bits of useless steel somewhere ( short pause for a sob or two ) I put the Remington's down to stock design - the earlier A2 sakos with the nice walnut and deep palm swell stock were good-- the worst well Zastava mini mauser horrible just all wrong pleased I only used it one day when I was unexpectedly invited out to shoot some pesky reds on a crop - what was wrong with it well pistol grip to short and barrel way to light
    Last edited by Barry the hunter; 17-09-2023 at 10:04 AM.

My model 7 bushpig. Albeit mine has a longer LOP for my gangly arms. 16" barrel suppressed, have taken off hand shots and made hits at 165 and 209y when no rest was possible. I have found the bergara extreme hunters very similar for point of balance too and they handle extremely well.
    Micky Duck, dannyb and alexr like this.

Sako A2 full stock, everytime I picked that thing up the irons just lined up by themselves
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    early Remingtons seem to have the balance factor right- or just really suit me - my Rem 1975 700 BDL in .222 I rate highly for handling but does not have a can- likewise my old 788 in 308 with can and 18 1/2 barrel is also very nice to handle quickly - two that really stood out was my beloved 742 Woodsmaster and a Benelli semi auto I used - both handled really well but now bits of useless steel somewhere ( short pause for a sob or two ) I put the Remington's down to stock design - the earlier A2 sakos with the nice walnut and deep palm swell stock were good-- the worst well Zastava mini mauser horrible just all wrong pleased I only used it one day when I was unexpectedly invited out to shoot some pesky reds on a crop - what was wrong with it well pistol grip to short and barrel way to light
    Can't agree about the zastava mini but agree stock design is everything. Throw a rifle onto your shoulder eyes closed open them and see how the sights align.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Yeah, I know someone who has a re-bedded remington stock on his howa mini and comparing it to my howa with a crappy synthetic stock it makes a big difference. Anything with a carbon fibre stock has been very nice in my experience haha

my Lupo with all the shims set up just comes up perfectly, i reality any rifle that fits you should if set up properly
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by alexr View Post
    Morning everyone,

I was having a conversation with another hunter the other day about some of the nicer rifles that we have used over the years. Something interesting that came up, is that there are some rifles that when you hold it up to your shoulder, it just seems to sit steadily and very comfortably, where as other rifles tend to be much harder to keep still. I'm sure many of you have experienced the same thing. An example is recently i was gifted two .22s. They are the exact same make and model and look identical, but the wooden stocks have been made slightly differently to each other, and so the weight distribution is different. One is ok when you pick it up to shoot, but the other just sits in your hand beautifully with hardly any movement.

When shooting off-hand I reckon that the biggest accuracy factor is how comfortable you are with the rifle because it impacts how steady you are when you pull the trigger. Of course you can make any rifle work if you're shooting at close range, but if you have to pull off a quick, tricky shot, then it helps a huge amount to have a stable rifle.

The thing we couldn't figure out though, is what makes a rifle so steady. Lighter, shorter rifles tend to be more steady in my experience but maybe it's more to do with where the weight is balanced. This being said, I have used a friends 7-08 with a 23" barrel, also suppressed, and that was one of the most steady rifles i've picked up.

So, what are the most steady rifles you guys have used, and what makes them that way?

You almost answered your own question toward the end of your post. What you are talking about is balance, quality rifles tend to lean toward better balance but sometimes the cheaper ones fit nicely too.
    Something I think helps to make sure of is having good scope height and eye relief, and a scope weight that complements the weight of the rifle.

One rifle that stands out to me is a Remington788 that wears an early (much longer than contemporary) DPT Suppressor. It is heavy to carry on the hill but I forgive that when it almost feels like it aims itself.
    The JW15 that I started out with stands out for me too, but I suspect that a few years of it being the only rifle I used and used a lot, I think maybe I grew into it, like how one can grow into a pair of boots if you wear them lots.

A few months back a mate who is just getting into hunting bought a CZ457. I helped him to sight it in and I was impressed with the balance of that one.
    Last edited by longshot; 17-09-2023 at 10:42 AM.

A Friend recently told me to lift my elbow up higher than where it naturally sits when shooting offhand.seems to hold a lot more steady,don’t know why but it does.
    alexr likes this.

My Zastava 308 comes up fantastically. It was okay-ish until I changed the rings from a set of mediums to a set of low steel ones, and now, as they say, the planets just align when I bring it up.
    Marty Henry and Micky Duck like this.

what some of you are suggesting is something I agree with. It is all about balance and usually a bit of weight in the front hand helps. It needs something there for the muscles to work against (sort of). not too bloody heavy obviously but that also would come down to personal preference. Having longer heavier suppressors out the front does that to a big degree
    alexr likes this.

the question is asked by a rifleman...a shotgunner already KNOWS the answer,they have done for a century if not longer,three things all tied loosely together.
    gun balance...how well gun sits between the hands (possibly why I have such distain for the hug yourself method prone?)
    gun fit.....how well a gun thrown to shoulder lines up with your eyes..the feel of the deal..the lower rings on Zastava above is classic case in point,the way my longer bodied M8 4x with large eye box did the same to same rifle.
    pointability...tied closely to the above...the rifle/shotgun/bow/bent stick you can chuck to shoulder with eyes closed,open eyes and sights are aligned with target you looked at before starting movement. absolutely criticle for good snap shooting....and that IS NOT flinging lead at movement..its poking a hole in a IDENTIFIED target you WANT to hit....
    75/15/10 black powder matters

This closed eye to the shoulder method above is in a lot of cases not performed when setting up a scope's eye relief.
    Bol Tackshin likes this.

Remington Mohawk .308 and I never should have sold it.
    Artillery...landscape adjustment since 1300AD.