Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: My custom lone peak and my experience. 260rem

Quote Originally Posted by dale View Post
    Hay mate so far the cost to me for the rifle less scope is around $4830. Cheaper and more refined then a sako carbon lite and more of a personal thing. sakos and tikka are like bellybuttons everyone has one
    Aye, I too would be investing that sort of coin into a custom build any day over an expensive factory option. Nothing against Sako's or other high end offerings, but you get something built exactly to your needs by going custom.
    Glad to see you highlighted the trade off's or risks in weight and barrel profile vs accuracy. Lots of people overlook or fail to recognise this fact. And it gets harder as you step up to bigger calibres & magnum's.
    dale likes this.

Very nice mate. Fantastic turnaround time and sharp price too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "O what a day, what a lovely day"

Not extreme at all quite normal for all the 260s I’ve had with the powder I used.
    I've had the same with both Sako and kimbers with fantastic brass life.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    199p, Gibo and dale like this.

nice man

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Nice build but aren't carbon lites 300 grams lighter? So not really comparable?

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk
    buzzman and LOC like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
    Nice build but aren't carbon lites 300 grams lighter? So not really comparable?

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk
    Price wise and less bellybutton ish. I like the finnlight sand carbonlits etc but the barrels are to thin for my liking and only 20.5 inch’s

Price wise and less bellybutton ish. I like the finnlight sand carbonlits etc but the barrels are to thin for my liking and only 20.5 inch’s
    Tikka's are 22 inch barrels and same weight
    dale likes this.

is that an echo?
    dale likes this.

Not extreme at all quite normal for all the 260s I’ve had with the powder I used.
    Nice build, what powder are you using?
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

GWH
    For a mountain rifle soley used for hunting where 1 or 2 shots is normally all you'd ever get is a heavier profile barrel going to give you any benefit?

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    For a mountain rifle soley used for hunting where 1 or 2 shots is normally all you'd ever get is a heavier profile barrel going to give you any benefit?
    Yes and it makes me sleep at night hahaha. But really no the animal won’t know the difference and a tikka will do everything this rifle will do but it comes down to my personal choice and what I wanted and how I wanted it. I shoot mobs of goats most weekends then hunt the hills when I can so this suits me well. And sits nicely next to the 300norma
    buzzman, mikee and camo wsm like this.

GWH
    Yes and it makes me sleep at night hahaha. But really no the animal won’t know the difference and a tikka will do everything this rifle will do but it comes down to my personal choice and what I wanted and how I wanted it. I shoot mobs of goats most weekends then hunt the hills when I can so this suits me well. And sits nicely next to the 300norma
    Dont get me wrong i fully understand the desire to build it the way you want it, i fully get that. Its nice having something that is a little different to what everyone else has. And now you have mentioned the goat bomb ups i also get the desire for more weight in the barrel.

I havnt built a fully custom rifle thus far, but no doubt will at some point. I have simply had modifications done to a factory Rem Model 7 in 7mm SAUM, to 1 reduce weight and 2 make it unique and mine. Carbon stock, fine fluting of the factory 22" heavy barrel, fluted bolt, skelotinised bolt handle etc. It has made a huge difference to the weight, shaving 2 lbs off it. It's gone from being my heaviest rifle to being my 2nd lightest weighing just a fraction more than my small 223. I run a 4-16x50 exposed target turret scope on it, and it still weighs in at 3.1kg all up scoped. I now don't mind carrying it up mountains.
    dale likes this.

Rifle looks mean man. Like a bit of meat in the barrel too. Even if super light rifles are inherently accurate they can be a ballbag to shoot and hence accuracy suffers.

Seems to me you've struck a great balance there. Rifle looks sick and should serve you well. Those actions look fecking awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    Rifle looks mean man. Like a bit of meat in the barrel too. Even if super light rifles are inherently accurate they can be a ballbag to shoot and hence accuracy suffers.

Seems to me you've struck a great balance there. Rifle looks sick and should serve you well. Those actions look fecking awesome.
    Yeah I think so. We can’t all have ribbed pin dicks aye hahah (fluted thin barrels)

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    You need to get out and nail something with it Dale...get some blood on it
    dale likes this.