Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: New rifle for goat control/sons first rifle

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    I agree

Ditch the scope, teach him to shoot properly with irons.
    I have all of a sudden got a thing for irons. I even took the scope off my .22 to use the iron sights. I need a center fire with irons now. Besides my .303 thinking a 30-06 or a 7x57 possibly a 8mm depends
    john m likes this.
    VIVA LA HOWA

I agree

I'd keep the scope and buy a jw15 for open sight practice. Would rather have the scope for both myself and the young fella when after goat's/deer.

Hard to go past this as a first set up for a youngster. It will take the knocks and you can upgrade the stock when/if needed... You could always spend a touch more on glass too..
    Name:  301454506.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  7.7 KB

res
    I agree

I like your point of difference, dad my want the scope for his goat blasting tho -it is a multi purpose purchase
    Using Tapatalk

Why stainless well it's more personal preference, and as for iron sights that would've interesting I've never shot using them before but thinking that might be something to do one day, seamed to work well back I the day

Queston: how old is your son?
    ebf likes this.

Myself I would go for a .243. I think it will be able to be used on a lot more game and he would more likely own it for longer and not feel the need to upgrade in cal later on. Still a nice cal to shoot for the young ones with very little recoil.
    BRADS, deer243 and Danny like this.

If it's any help I started with a tikka t3 .270 as my first gun. Then have recently got an ar and I love the .223 calibre to shoot with. Great for small to medium game. I do a lot of wallaby shooting and it's perfect for that. Not saying get an ar as such but the .223 is just nice to shoot, practically no recoil and cheap enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by possum_shooter View Post
    Myself I would go for a .243. I think it will be able to be used on a lot more game and he would more likely own it for longer and not feel the need to upgrade in cal later on. Still a nice cal to shoot for the young ones with very little recoil.
    Agree. A great calibre as far as I'm concerned. I had one from between age 11-19 and loved it. Deer, Hares, goats, magpies, pigs, cats...Wished I still owned that Good ol Parker Hale!
    deer243 likes this.
    Dan M

no one's mentioned a 6.5 yet.
    Hunt4life likes this.

Keep safe in the hills! Gunzrrr's Avatar
    Ah ... AR-15 ... NO ... read the requirements again. (BTW - I love AR-15's, especially on goats).
    I would seriously suss out a second hand .223 "hunting" rifle as you have described. There are always deals (sometimes great deals) to be had in gun shops and on TradeMe. Stick to the usual recognised brands. Maybe your local gun shop can keep an eye out for your son. Always nice to shoot a few different rifles and get him involved in the decision. My mate sold his 8yo Ruger M77 in .223 for $1300 with a good Leupold scope and 100 rounds & this would be a great first rifle.
    Keep safe ... cheers Gunzrrr

Howa 1500 in .223, you can get one stainless with a ok (usable) 3-9 scope, and a suppressor if thats your flavor, for well under your 2k budget and chuck a new stock and extended mag on later if thats what your after. was my first rifle after upgrading from a $80 .303 and has served me well claimed nearly every goat and pig ive pointed it at, good accurate rifles and have and ajustable trigger. Only downside is they are not light but as your young fulla is learning youll most likely be carrying around the rifle anyhow. got mine for 900 well over a year ago and i think they have come down in price a bit.
    EK9132 likes this.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    The Stainless question
    Just thinking, if it is your sons first gun and stainless is not 100% necessasary , a blued version will probably shoot equally as well but you could also use it as an educational experience to encourage and advise on proper care of his equipment after use, as if he doesn't the consequences would become obvious fairly soon.
    The benefits would stand him in good stead for the rest of his hunting days.
    veitnamcam likes this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by Gunzrrr View Post
    Ah ... AR-15 ... NO ... read the requirements again.
    which part of the vague requirements in the first post disqualifies a semi-auto?

I am not anti semi auto as such and have not had a lot to do with AR's but I haven't seen anyone manage to load or unload one quietly yet,which means walking around loaded unless in very open country.
    BRADS likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.