Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: New Rimfire

I have a marlin xt 17 HMR. It’s accurate (for my needs). The stock is not the best. I figure it was easier to buy a better rifle than try to chase a stock for it. Covid 19 got in the way and chopped the Marlin (was going to do that to new rifle if I bought it) and stocked up on food for breakdown. Pretty happy with it.

Got these with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    bigbear, dannyb and G.I_Joel like this.

I had a CZ452 American in 17hmr. It was a joy to carry around all day and was a laser with any ammo it was fed with.
    Regret selling it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Can you still get those, or is it just the XT-17? Also, have you any experience with those at all?
    Nah man the 917, 920, etc etc have been superceded by the remlin xt-22, xt-17 etc lines.

I had a 920s, was an absolute laser. Heavy trigger though, even with all the tricks it still sat about 5 lb.
    Put some bloody expensive rifles to shame that wee gun.

They do pop up on tm reasonably regularly

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
    dannyb likes this.

Marlin. Nuff said.
    dannyb likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by tiroahunta View Post
    I have a marlin xt 17 HMR. It’s accurate (for my needs). The stock is not the best. I figure it was easier to buy a better rifle than try to chase a stock for it. Covid 19 got in the way and chopped the Marlin (was going to do that to new rifle if I bought it) and stocked up on food for breakdown. Pretty happy with it.

Got these with it

Hi mate, how did you find the 17hmr to perform on goats? What would be a reasonable distance to hit them at?

I love my cz 511.

Although if I were to buy a new rimfire it'd be a dmk or something fun.

Earlier models of Marlin from Connecticut factories were better built than the later XTs as suggested. When Remington bought Marlin, quality for the next few years was sometimes questionable. Having said that most XT17s will do the job. I did read a comparison between the Ruger, Savage and Marlin 17HMRs, and Marlin most accurate. The others were also pretty good so wouldn't matter too much which you bought, though Marlin is the value proposition and very sharp for the dollar. CZ will also be fine in 17HMR - as with 22LR.

You can spend extra dollars and buy new, but often rifles are actually better after a couple of years use. Actions are smoother, worn in, triggers often done, suppressed etc, so while they may carry a mark or two they often perform better than new, and for alot less. Then you can spend on a reasonable scope
    dannyb likes this.

I went down this rabbit hole where I bought a CZ 452 varmint .17 HMR figuring I’d need a more solid barrel shooting bunnies out to 200 mtrs.

I was very wrong, sold that as it was just a bit too heavy & bought a CZ 452 American .17 HMR which has the synthetic stock & blued barrel.

That thing is a beast, super accurate, a pleasure to carry & use, bought the bigger 10 shot magazine as I tend as we need it down here & never looked back.

I bought it from shooters world in Gore as they had the sharpest prices than anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthetic View Post
    Hi mate, how did you find the 17hmr to perform on goats? What would be a reasonable distance to hit them at?
    Those goats were shot at about 40 metres. Head/neck (high neck). Distance 60-80 metres (max) so long you can place the shots as mentioned before.

Shearer, MB, dannyb and 1 others like this.

@Seventenths Shooterworld have always been very competitive on price for firearms, also very helpful and knowledgeable, albeit a little grumpy I haven't been in for a year or two, so don't know how its going under the new owners. @tiroahunta what length is the barrel now?
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

Quote Originally Posted by Dama dama View Post
    @Seventenths Shooterworld have always been very competitive on price for firearms, also very helpful and knowledgeable, albeit a little grumpy I haven't been in for a year or two, so don't know how its going under the new owners. @tiroahunta what length is the barrel now?
    15”...?? I said to Friwi...’bout this long...’ he measured it to make sure..

I bought a cz455 in 17hmr. Was pretty disappointed with the accuracy, maybe I was expecting too much? I put some rounds through it today at 50 yards but was quite windy. I'll try post some pics of the targets. It's been a bit and miss. When I first got it I had it sighted at 25 and I never missed anything for ages including a 250 yard shot on a bunny. And then I started cleaning it....... and that's when it turned to shit. Have just stopped running a bore snake through it after each hunt and left it dirty but removed suppressor when stored. Got a yodave trigger in the way. Anyone else had issues with this model? Barrell is free floating. I'll try post pics.

Bugger dont know how to upload pics off my phone. The grouting are from under half an inch to just under an inch.

Groupings. Damn spell check

Name:  20200415_153937.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  4.11 MB