Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: New Scope.

New Scope.

Can anyone recommend a good all round scope, theirs, Leupold- Rudoph and a host of other. Im prepard to spend a k.

Just as a matter of interest my name is Chris, just joined today.
    Cordite likes this.

Welcome Chris. Lots of helpful people on this forum.

For an answer to be possible may I suggest that you first mention what sort of gun and calibre you will put the scope on. A springer air gun will destroy many good centrefire rifle scopes, for example.

Secondly, what sort of shooting would you like to use your scope for?
    Trout, Micky Duck and Phil_H like this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    Welcome Chris. Lots of helpful people on this forum.

For an answer to be possible may I suggest that you first mention what sort of gun and calibre you will put the scope on. A springer air gun will destroy many good centrefire rifle scopes, for example.

Secondly, what sort of shooting would you like to use your scope for?
    Yup Cordite is right without knowing what you will do any recommendations are a guess. Budget is also important.

Welcome Chris.

welcome aboard...yes indeed,untill you tell us what you intend to use it for...we shooting in the dark.
    bush hobbits like myself will say...small light no more than 9x at top end...1-4 at bottom end eye relief is criticle
    long range gong guys will say need at least 15x and 20 is better......weight and size dont matter
    leupold haters will say stay well away...other folks will say buy one and love it for life..
    if you intend to twiddle n fiddle,you need rangefinder.....and good reliable dialing.....if you sight in and point n shoot...doesnt matter a shit..as long as it holds zero.
    Trout and Botchup like this.

Have a look at the new Burris 2-10x 42 signature HD .At 900 bucks its good value .

Quote Originally Posted by wayno View Post
    Have a look at the new Burris 2-10x 42 signature HD .At 900 bucks its good value .
    $900 ???
    Is it the HD 2-10x40 Signature your meaning ??

Sorry guys I didnt explain very well. I have a 270 so plan to hunt deer.

northdude
    sorry to hear that

Quote Originally Posted by Botchup View Post
    Sorry guys I didnt explain very well. I have a 270 so plan to hunt deer.
    Good to here maybe easier if we ask you a few questions to help.

What we meant was the circumstances of the hunting?

Do you plan on mostly bush hunting or hunting on the tops?

What sort of range are you looking to hunt to?

Do you have a rangefinder? (no point trying to shoot beyond probably 250 to 300 without one as its getting pretty dodgy even at those ranges if your guessing distance)

I'd your budget the limit if you also had to buy a rangefinder and binos?

Do you have a set of binoculars?

All of those play into it.
    But taking a guess based on seeing you are in Christchurch.
    I would say if you don't have a big budget I would buy a set of binoculars first as they are essential for hunting the tops. A set of Vortex Diamondback HDs in 8x30 8x42 or 10x42 would last you forever and are pretty good value glass. The 8x32s are my favourites as they are lighter have more field of veiw than the 8x42s and a larger exit pupil than the 10x42s so should be brighter. Also the difference between 10x and 8x is hard to notice and for glassing basins iv efound I prefer my 8x leicas at times to my 10x. But any I mentioned are good enough. I used them until I saved enough for some high end alpha glass.

If you don't have a range finder and intend to shoot beyond 250 yards regularly I would buy one with angle compensated range (most new ones) as out past 300 50-100 yards off in guessing range is easy and makes a huge difference.
    If you have a bit to spend a combination unit is very handy of binos with a rangefinder in them is handy not having to take the binos off a spotted animal then try find it in the rangefinder(can be difficult when animals are hiding in scrub etc) however it's a bit expensive. I would recommend the Vortex Fury HD and the Sig kilo 3000 if you go that way on a budget both great units.

No assuming you want something thats a nice balance of lightweight and features a Leupold VX3i 3.5-10x40 With CDS is my pick for a sub 1000 dollar scope. They are lightweight, will dial if you need them, have enough zoom for hunting at any reasonable range a 270 will ever reach, have a lifetime warranty if you ever manage to break them. I would prefer the windplex reticle personally as it helps to make consistent wind calls but realistically a duplex is fine. They can be had new for your budget if you shop around. Or second hand is fine as the warranty covers the scope not the owner and I brought my last one for 500. I don't recommend the 4.5-14 model as they eyebox is hard to use and it's too zoomed in for any close shots in my opinion.

Don't worry about the ribbing you will get for shooting a 270 it's just a running forum joke. It's a perfectly fine catridge (why am I admitting that hahaha)

Out of interest are you a new hunter or just new to the forum?

leupold, good value and the backup warranty is fantastic.
    i also have a couple of minox scopes i like. one is on my 7mm and never shifts point of impact at a kilometre
    apart from that burris is good, weaver (no longer made), even an older tasco titan is good (the japanese made one), nikon (also no longer made)

VX3i 3.5-10x40 ZL

Purchase from taihape sports

Great allround scope, can't go wrong
    buzzman and Stocky like this.

Moa Hunter likes this.

thanks for the tip Wayno but I wont buy from gun city on principal.