Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: New Scope-Options?

I really like Burris for their value for money. They are never going to be as good as a high end scope but do a bloody good job.
    I also had a good play around with a few Vortex optics in the weekend. Mainly the Viper and another (cant remember) glass was amazingly clear. Only issue for me was how fine the reticle is. Could be an issue in the bush unless you have the illuminated version. Their warranty also beats anything else out there. My next scope will be a vortex.

If the new HS T came in FFP I would be getting one I think.

At the moment Im leaning towards the PST 4-16*50 FFP, with the EBR 1 MRAD reticle.

If I was to buy in NZ who stocks them? And at decent prices
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone

Quote Originally Posted by puku View Post
    If the new HS T came in FFP I would be getting one I think.

At the moment Im leaning towards the PST 4-16*50 FFP, with the EBR 1 MRAD reticle.

If I was to buy in NZ who stocks them? And at decent prices
    I've looked at this option, Hunting and Thieving can get these I think, about $1800(or US$1000). Warranty is pretty bloody good!

I got quoted $1500 for the FFP PST through hunting a fisting. Got mine from Optics zone for just under $1300 after GST etc. My advice would be to get the second focal version for a general hunting scope. At 4x on the FFP version the reticle is basically useless. FFP rocks if you're using the reticle to make corrections, at a desired power, but over the weekend I was using my scope at 16x so it was basically a moot point. Maybe I should have just got SFP and saved some coin.

I picked up the Viper HS LR 4-16x44 from Fishpond.co.nz for $800, which was cheaper even than if I'd imported it myself. They seem to be 95% out of stock now though, and don't have a lot of the PST models, but they had what I wanted.

Took a couple of months to turn up, as it ships from the U.S. retailer to their U.S. warehouse, and then into NZ from there. But advantages being that you deal with a marginally more local firm and don't have to deal with customs etc.

Rifle hasn't arrived to mount it on yet, but the glass seems pretty nice and crisp, and the whole scope has a good feel to it. (at least to my inexperienced eyes and hands)

I'm curious as to why people seem to like the HS. Do you just use the reticle to compensate for wind? A scope with an exposed elevation turret and standard windage adjustment has always seemed a bit gumby to me.

Yes, that's my intention at least. Dial elevation, hold for wind with the dots every 2 MOA on the reticle. The windage turret is resettable and numbered anyway, so it's no hassle to dial that too if you wish.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    I'm curious as to why people seem to like the HS. Do you just use the reticle to compensate for wind? A scope with an exposed elevation turret and standard windage adjustment has always seemed a bit gumby to me.
    Agree: Just like the Leo CDS

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Yup.! It put me right off

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

HS-T has target turret on windage.

Shit I'ma buy me one (HS-T). Didn't know about that model.

"Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Are the HS-T here yet? And pretty sure they only come in SFP, but from what you are saying Beavis perhaps that's what I should be getting

Yeah I would definitely get SFP if you plan on actually using the scope at 4x, the ffp reticle would be really hard to pic up in the bush when you need to place a shot NOW

Fulla
    sightron s3, moa. my focus is fine, its a great scope. that price is cheap too.