Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: New shooter advice.

Ejected

New shooter advice.

Hey people,

This might have been done to death, if so I apoligise, but I am new to shooting and need some advice as to my first rifle. I am looking at chasing pigs around on a bit of bushland my mate owns and also deer stalking in the Kaimais. I should probably get a .308, but my old man's getting one, so I had my heart set on a .270 for something different. A few mates that shoot scared me off it due to the recoil not being kind to a newby so I am thinking of either a 6.5x55 or a 7mm08. Wadda reckon?
    Hunt4life likes this.

To start with you want to shoot a lot, assuming your stuck to Factory ammo go in a see what they have at the best price anf best range
    sfa difference between most except 6.5x55 and 260 have very expensive factory ammo.

Don't get the .270 because it's 'different', get it because it will out-shoot the ol'man;s .308 any day.. @Toby will be along soon to tell you different...and welcome to the forum as another Kaimai browser.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

Nah nah, get a .270. Best cartridge ever.
    Spook and BRADS like this.

In a Tikka T3 too
    BRADS likes this.

try before you buy .if your mates have these calibres ask em (politely) if they'll let you fire a couple of shots out of each.ask em about their rifles what types of hunting ,expense involvedetc etc.
    once you have all this info then sit down and think it through.when you have one or two picked out go back and repeat the process.
    myself -irun a no4mk1 .303(1943 canadian vintage) a norinco 7.62x39(lighter round125gn but similar in performance to .303 180gn rounds),for my 60th a nice wee norinco .223 and in .22 a 40yr old toz mod 17 ,which was joined last week by a wee norinco jw15(S) a sweet wee 16"suppressed carbine.incidentally all but the .223 are suppressed-.303&7.62 share a suppresor.
    no doubt there are many on here that may scoff at my armoury -It worries me not one iota. Any are capable of dropping an animal within a range im comfortable/ competent to shoot at -i deem that inside 200yds. i also run 3shotties -again none top of the line ,but all if Im on my game still capable of dropping any duck goose swan pigeon or other vermin.
    a man in a Rolls Royce and a man in a morris minor will both drive happily from point A -B -the big difference is the insurance premiums and spare parts price!
    of consumate importance squire -welcome to the mad mad brotherhood and get out there and bloody enjoy it
    gadgetman, 308, Scouser and 2 others like this.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    If your new at it and don't reload or know someone who will teach you, I'd advise against the 6.5x55 or 260
    260 factory ammo is getting scarce and 6.5x55 [great calibre though it is, I have two] though cheap unless you buy Norma or similar is very slow and you may get a little discouraged
    I'd suggest the 7mm 08 for what you want, lighter recoil than a 270, ammo everywhere, everybody makes rifles for it .
    DAF, Bryan, 199p and 2 others like this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Gday ricochet
    I started at 270 and went up from there but now i have a 308 and it is soo nice to shoot even without a can. There is a reason everyone has a 308 its boring but super effective. You could go 7-08 if you want to be different to your mates or s 338fed would be cool too not sure on range tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    steven and Gibo like this.

243 be alright

Calibre debates will ruin your life so don't even think about it for now.

Find a rifle that fits you first and foremost and a very close second that 'you' like.

Then suss out what cals it comes in and pick one that will do what you need it to do.

Then, and this is actually the hard part, find a scope to put on it. Sounds easy? It isn't!

Oh, and welcome.

Also, cool handle. Surprised no one thought of it before ��
    gadgetman and Hunt4life like this.

.......but don't buy a T3........

.........kidding...........sort of ��
    BRADS likes this.

Welcome to the forum mate......no real advice as per your question........but I roll with a 7-08..........just saying. ...
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

A mate of mine has a tikka 6.5mm and he's having difficulty getting projectiles, so I'd suggest the 7mm as the better and more common round.

But if your dad is getting a 308w so should you IMHO.

regards
    Gibo likes this.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    A mate of mine has a tikka 6.5mm and he's having difficulty getting projectiles, so I'd suggest the 7mm as the better and more common round.

But if your dad is getting a 308w so should you IMHO.

regards
    It's quite a good idea to have interchangeable ammo with your hunting mates (unless he's a borrower "first up best dressed" type).

For Kaimais and pigs you won't need a lot of range, so a 150 - 180gr bullet in the .308 would be good. The forte of the .270 is longer ranges 150 - 300m and the action, ammo and usually barrel are longer than .308. Try and get a shorter barrel, no more than 20" (18 would be better as you will sometimes end up in supplejack). 7.62x39 would also be quite OK for what you're planning but less ideal for slips and open tops hunting. It has less recoil than the .308 of course which is a plus point. . .308 has the best range and often cheaper options for factory ammo.

This is practical logical advice but "heart set" is very important so if you feel you are a .270 sort of guy then you will do best with that.
    Tommy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    I am new to shooting and need some advice as to my first rifle.
    Buy a .22 and shoot the shit out of it 1st. You'll learn how to shoot, it's cheap and it gives you the chance to learn good, safe shooting habits.