Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: New to shooting remington 700 rifles

I also have a rem 700 sps and got it because it fits. One thing though they do not have a half cock! I also thought that was a half cock however I think you will find that in the 'half cock position' you pull that trigger and the hammer will fall.
    I had a chat with gunsmith and he said remington void their warranties if you decide to put a half cock in.
    Just a FYI
    Sarcasm: lowest from of wit, highest form of intelligence.

my new "Reminton 700" just picked it up
    Name:  20150502_145734.jpg
Views: 683
Size:  79.8 KB
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    I also have a rem 700 sps and got it because it fits. One thing though they do not have a half cock! I also thought that was a half cock however I think you will find that in the 'half cock position' you pull that trigger and the hammer will fall.
    I had a chat with gunsmith and he said remington void their warranties if you decide to put a half cock in.
    Just a FYI
    My Rem 700 sps has a half cock and its works a treat. It wont go off, had trigger lighten by gumsmith and hes tested it all out and said there no way its going to go of by accident so why is your one going off with the trigger pull is beyord me

It's good to have a nice solid half cock. But I must admit it's always a bit worrying to be relying on half cock alone. X-bolt you can have safety activated and half cocked, but still worrying. I guess it's just that pill up the spout that makes me paranoid. More for bush hunting anyway I guess, and I haven't given that much of a go yet!

Quote Originally Posted by MattyP View Post
    It's good to have a nice solid half cock. But I must admit it's always a bit worrying to be relying on half cock alone. X-bolt you can have safety activated and half cocked, but still worrying. I guess it's just that pill up the spout that makes me paranoid. More for bush hunting anyway I guess, and I haven't given that much of a go yet!
    You can have the safety on as well with the REM with the half cock if it makes you feel better.

Nope! Like I said, I just get paranoid walking around with 1 up the spout, haha. I guess I would have to overcome that to bush hunt.

Half cock is for full cocks
    DAF, HUNTY, ebf and 2 others like this.

The 5R is an excellent rifle and you won't go wrong there especially as a mainly range rifle and will pump out all sorts of ammo accurately and Federal Target 178gr cloverleaf.
    There're a little heavy for the bush hunting mind.
    Wind the screw right out on the trigger and remove..... then after a while get sick of crap factory trigger that doesn't do this rifle justice and replace with an after market

The 5r is not a SPS, and is approximately 2 x the price. Not many people know about these rifles and few would sell them once they have had one

thanks for the reply guys, just a quick question tho I see that some website have aftermarket stock for sale, are we able to order them direct or do we need to go through a shop in NZ to order one in ? thanks

Depends on the exported but typically if it is more than $100 us it is a nightmare to export with all the paper work and extra cost required at the us end. The exception to this seems to be redhawk rifles they ship without all the extra palava.
    However, being the corolla of rifles there are parts galore here, and you can get a carbon fibre stock made through STUG or Senator stocks, can get an MDT chassis system of NZAR15, or purchase one of the many S/H aftermarket stocks that pop up on trademe from time to time.

thanks mate was looking at Shop Shooting Supplies | Reloading | Gunsmithing | Hunting gear — MidwayUSA and saw a lot of stock you could order but not sure what the requirement would be when they land here with custom not looking at a full rifle but just the stock in itself

Quote Originally Posted by sylpharion View Post
    thanks for the reply guys, just a quick question tho I see that some website have aftermarket stock for sale, are we able to order them direct or do we need to go through a shop in NZ to order one in ? thanks
    The most used after market stock is the one you have as standard, why would you want to change the perfectly good stock you have for some thing else, the only change I would make would be to replace the trigger to a Timney
    and have a bedding job done even with the alloy bedding block the fit is not that great they are still mass produced rifles,
    Then get a about a 1000 rounds of match grade ammo and go shoot the thing on a range, there must be a suitable Rifle club some were handy were you can learn how to shoot at distance,

Quote Originally Posted by deer243 View Post
    My Rem 700 sps has a half cock and its works a treat. It wont go off, had trigger lighten by gumsmith and hes tested it all out and said there no way its going to go of by accident so why is your one going off with the trigger pull is beyord me
    Hmmm I wonder if there was a difference depending on the year? I know mine i put it to the 'half cock' stage and pull the trigger and down she comes. Might post a vid and see what others think. What year was yours @deer243 also mine is 7mm08 and just wondering if calibre plays a roll?
    Sarcasm: lowest from of wit, highest form of intelligence.

Hi Willie, mines new(may of been in box for awhile). Half cock certainly works well.Had the trigger adjusted to 2 lb by local gunsmith. He tested out safety, half cock etc and said they very good, couldnt get them to accidently discharge no matter how hard he tried.(308)