Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: New Suppressor

Quote Originally Posted by SlimySquirrel View Post
    You savage fan boys tried out the American Eagle 50 gr tipped ammo? Man... Mine loved it. LOVED it! Cheeeeep too.
    No I haven't.. Where's the cheapest place to get that stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Waitaki offer to do all the fitting free of charge if you buy one of their suppressors, if they're good it's a great deal
    At this stage I think its pretty good.. Never had any other centrefire suppressor so can't compare it to anything, but what used to be a very loud boom with the crack of the projectile is now just the crack..
    The weight of it certainly shifted POI on my gun, down 4" or so but thats with a light barrel.. Can't comment on accuracy change with suppressor on/off but I shot 3 hares with it on today with no issues. Recoil is probably less than half what it is without it.
    So I think its "a great deal"
    Maca49 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage .223 View Post
    No I haven't.. Where's the cheapest place to get that stuff?
    Dunno who is cheapest but my local had it at $20/box or $90/100 last time I was there, pretty good.

Don't think my Savages will like that ammo, the smallest are 243's.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage .223 View Post
    At this stage I think its pretty good.. Never had any other centrefire suppressor so can't compare it to anything, but what used to be a very loud boom with the crack of the projectile is now just the crack..
    The weight of it certainly shifted POI on my gun, down 4" or so but thats with a light barrel.. Can't comment on accuracy change with suppressor on/off but I shot 3 hares with it on today with no issues. Recoil is probably less than half what it is without it.
    So I think its "a great deal"
    Mine shifted the poi with 6.5x55 3" down directly in line.That's with a Finnlight.
    Well made and your right, you certainly won't break it any time soon.

He also makes rails etc and builds rifles.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    Mine shifted the poi with 6.5x55 3" down directly in line.That's with a Finnlight.
    Well made and your right, you certainly won't break it any time soon.

He also makes rails etc and builds rifles.
    Did you notice any accuracy difference? And yeah looks like he does everything!

Savage
    as you can see this is with the supressor on, nope no Accuracy differece except my own lousy shooting, all targets at 100yrds.
    Name:  Sako Finn with and  with supressor & MK's.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  256.2 KB

OK

Now I ask you guys to forgive me , I live in Australia .
    Apart from the quieter muzzle blast , what are the other benefits of a suppressor ?
    They appear to add weight and length to the rifle , seem to be quite expensive and need gunsmithing to fit .
    Years ago I had silencers ( thats what they were called then ) on my .22 rimfires and they were the Bee's knees because they were silent , with subsonic ammo .
    I'm not trying to be a smart arse , and I'm not trying to start an argument , but apart from a fractional noise reduction , what are they good for ?
    I understand the appeal off silent usages with sub sonic ammo , but do the benefits out way the negatives in regards to centerfire full speed ammo .
    I'm not trying to start a fight , just asking a question .

Ken
    Last edited by Ground Control; 05-10-2013 at 11:39 PM.
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

I happen to agree, fuck them
    However you will , or should get a number of more constructive replys than mine.

Ejected
    Depending on the make they can make quite a substantial difference to noise. Also when hunting, especially shooting mobs of whatever they often can't narrow down where the noise is coming from so run around aimlessly and sometimes straight towards you for a follow up shot., sort of like throwing your voice. At the range or shooting with mates its much more pleasant as well.

Reduced recoil can be quite big as well. Plus if your lying next to the shooter it's nicer than a face full of muzzle blast from a muzzle brake too.

Ejected
    To each their own though.

Nibblet summed it up quite well.

I suppressed a 243 i bought for the wife, not that it kicked before but it cut the recoil a bit and the noise a heck of a lot.
    For new shooters(and the experienced ones too!) a flinch is often caused by the bloody great boom more than the recoil.
    I have a few suppressed rifles in my safe but my main hunting rifle will never wear one, another thing to carry,come loose, go wrong. It gets carried a lot and usually only fires one or two shots so don't see the point.
    Ground Control likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Ground control.
    They reduce the noise at the muzzle significantly even with supersonic ammo (subs are just awesome), this helps in a number of ways as other posters have stated eg flinch reduction for new shooters, game struggle to identify shooter location plus neighbors on smaller blocks don't get as upset with a loud bang (just the crack), recoil can be reduced 30-40% and can increase accuracy on some rifles.
    So there are still alot of pros even when shooting supersonic ammo. Oh did I mention with subs they are awesome!!!
    I see the biggest benefit where I shoot as the one of keeping the neighbors happy.
    I wish your Govt would see sense and let you guys have them again.

Slimy Squirrel that AA Eagle black box 50gr is great, my CZ loves it too. Sub MOA out of the box. Awesome commercial load.

Cheers.
    Lead delivery technician, Bulk orders welcome!!

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    but my main hunting rifle will never wear one
    This is what I should have said.

Dogs love 'em.