Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Nikon Prostaff 4-12x40 Matte BDC Reticle

Depends on the ranges you are after.

What sort of price range also... The best value I have seen is the jahi jakt or something like that... They range upwards of 1000yds for $400 and they do it reliably too.

If you are just banging out up to 500 then most will/should work....above that the reflective qualities are what you pay for...

500 yard rangefinder would suit me fine.
    I see Optic Planet have the Nikon Prostaff on special starting at $149US for the cheaper model.
    I'm a Nikon fanboy now
    I read a few reviews about the Prostaff and some were saying how they have trouble picking smaller things up like rabbits, birds, cats at 200 yards with the 550yards rangefinder, so not sure if that's correct or not.

To be honest mate you can just get a reading off something close to what you are shooting at. You just need to be withing 10yds unless you start going long range style with your rimmy.

Nikon are hard to beat for the money mate. No harm in being a fan boy... I run their scopes because they suit my needs at the right price and they are very clear. The bigger objectives are really clear to the edges. I have a 44 mm objective for a .222 project that pops light nicely and is very good match for the calibre. When going up in power get the bigger objective with them as you do lose eye relief on Max power with the 40mm above 12*

Yeah, I know you can do that if you have too.
    It does seem the a good for the price, I've read a few reviews about Prostaff vs. Monarch and i just got a bunch of mixed reports.
    You used any of the Monarch range?

If I had access to a big sheep station I would consider getting a centerfire varmint rifle for sure, but as of now the .17 is all I need.

If it were me I would find a Jahi Jakt and buy once. I've not seen a rangey for under $800 that reliably ranges over 1000yds like the jahi jakt.

Cheap rangeys are great for knock about stuff... But with your .17 I would go the extra mile and save the hassle....

The monarch and pro staff scopes are great. Can't say the range finders are though... I had a Nikon one and it said 1000 yds but would struggle to range 700yds at any given time and was not worth the money... I also can't say that a Swaro or Zeiss are worth my while either as my wife would kill me if I bought one!

A mate does long range shooting and he swears by jahi jakt ... His shots are mostly over 700 yds and his rangey was $4-500 range... Pretty good for a reliable rangey.

Be interested to hear how the Prostaff goes too, plotting an upgrade from the Nighteater on my 223 at some stage when I have the cash spare. So many options!

Gravel... What sorta power you looking at?

The Nikon's reticle gets thicker with the more powerful scopes... I found the 6-24 too thick but very clear.

The buckmaster I had is about as thick as I would like and that's 18* and suffers a bit from the black edges at full power.

I see the prostaff models now come in 50mm objective and are a bit more expensive than I would like but they sure look nice!

I have just got my self a sightron for a long range build.. They're nice but at the top end of my price range...

Its an all-round rifle not a dedicated varminter so I won't get too carried away with magnification - most likely a 4-12 or 14 but even a really sharp 3-9 or 10 will be an option. I want to keep a wide enough low end and not too big/heavy, had a Bushnell Elite 5-15x50 on it for a while which I sold as it was huge and just felt unbalanced. BDC and/or dialable turrets will be a factor too.

Alright, thanks for helping.
    Ben.. Are there any any stores near you that stock the Nikon scopes? You should go have a look through one if you can.
    I'll report back if I get out for a shoot this weekend

Another thing to consider is will you be hunting in all weather conditions..
    As you may want to go with the Bushnell Elite for the Rainguard feature?

Just my thoughts anyway :-D

Reckon the 4-12*40 could be a good option for You Ben... But if you were after a bit more power and better glass the 4-16*42 monarch could also be nicely matched to your needs.

As Kimber said, if you can peep through one do so. They are at Hamills I think.

Yep will have a nosey in the shops at some stage. No rush though until I can afford it!

Darn weather is no good for rabbit shooting today and looking at the Metservice website it looks like it'll be raining all next weekend too.
    Hamils has the 4-12x40 BDC on special at the moment Ben

Nikon Prostaff Riflescope 4-12x40