Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nikon or Weaver

Nikon or Weaver

Hi all
    I am in the market for a new scope after breaking my last.
    I like the look of the Nikon Monarch 3-12 and it fits in my price bracket which is very slim at the moment but i hear good things about the weaver.
    Is the Weaver SS 3-15 worth the extra $200ish over the nikon.
    It is for a sako 7mm08 that frequents the tops now and has a few trips south planned for chamios etc...
    Not sure about dialing at this stage (but would like to try) but have been shooting out to 350mtr so far.

Thanks
    Cmore

inclosed turrets would push me toward the Nikon, but thats just cause im allways climing thru bush on my way to the tops.
    Nikons have nice glass, as I imagine superslams do to,
    both fine scopes, you wont go wrong with eather

I use the Nikon Monarch UCC 3-9x40 on my 7mm Rem Mag, would absolutely recommend it, after around 300 rounds it has never shifted zero and the optica are excellent. The spot-on ballistics programme is also awesome and you can customise your scope to any load, even order custom turrets for your load.

Having said that Ihave also heard good things about the weavers but have never used one.

When I get my .375 it will definately be topped with another Monarch.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

I have nikon. Would buy a weaver too. Buy either.

I think the glass might be ever so slightly better in the weaver, you get a larger fov if that matters.

I really rate nikon, super impressed with mine.

Chris

I like my Weaver v9, haven't used a Nikon scope but quite fond of their other gear so I imagine they're nice too.

I have both,Nikon 4-16x50,superslam 3-15x42.Both are good value although I paid far to much for the SS from H&F.I have also just aquired a Minox 4-20x50 the glass is better than both but the build is not as flash as either
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out

Cheers guys.
    That is what i was hoping to hear.

Another question, does the lifetime warrenty on the nikon apply if i import one here?

Impure Lead Flinger
    I cant comment on the NIKONS But the warranty, optics and internal workings on the weavers are awesome for the $$$... I even tested out the warranty on an imported one that I kinda rough handed then ABE compleatly wrecked and got a brand new one for $35 postage back to the states

Quote Originally Posted by cmore View Post
    Cheers guys.
    That is what i was hoping to hear.

Another question, does the lifetime warrenty on the nikon apply if i import one here?

If you import you will only get warrenty from the origanal seller. Which mean returning it overseas, Waiting for them to sort something and waiting for the return. Thats if they don't lose it.....
    Buying in NZ costs you more but most retailers will help you out even if they didn't sell it to you.

Re: Nikon or Weaver

Quote Originally Posted by cmore View Post
    Leathel off the other site uses them and rates them highly . He woukdnt vouch for them if they werent legit

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by irgnz View Post
    If you import you will only get warrenty from the origanal seller. Which mean returning it overseas, Waiting for them to sort something and waiting for the return. Thats if they don't lose it.....
    Buying in NZ costs you more but most retailers will help you out even if they didn't sell it to you.
    Thats very true but sadly the only price i can find in nz is about $50 off twice the price!

Re: Nikon or Weaver

I absolutely refuse to pay NZ retail for any optics. I cannot abide the 100% plus markup some times twice that. Its the same for rifles aswell . I know for a fact the h+F get the winchester extreme weathers for a grand to there shelves once apon the shelves their value magicly doubles. Just zhithouse if it were easier id be importing rifles.myself

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

[QUOTE=CreepingDeath;39843]I absolutely refuse to pay NZ retail for any optics. I cannot abide the 100% plus markup some times twice that. Its the same for rifles aswell . I know for a fact the h+F get the winchester extreme weathers for a grand to there shelves once apon the shelves their value magicly doubles. Just zhithouse if it were easier id be importing rifles.myself

Here here! Greed is destroying this country! Its amazing how shops can have 50 to 60% off sales EVERY WEEK?

Impure Lead Flinger
    Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    The retailers will send it to the importer, who will send it overseas. For this, you pay $300 more? How much tracked, insured postage will that buy you? Many warranty returns with the dealers take FOREVER.
    Thats why its better to import and have to part with $40 odd to return to the retailer in the states...
    Usually you have a brand new product back in a few short weeks and severe apoligies...
    I know a guy sent his leica binos in for warranty with the NZ distributors... ITS BEEN A YEAR and he still no has them lol