Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: no serial numbers

no serial numbers

(I DIDN'T START THIS THREAD AS A BITCH SESSION ABOUT REGISTATION OR THE FIRARMS SAFTY AUTHORATY ETC PLSESE KEEP YOUR BITCHING TO YOURSELF ONLY GENUINE AND HELPFUL DISCUSSION PLEASE )

I have a small collection of antique firearms all old single shots so just A cat.
    a few of which do not have any serials or marks of any kind.

now I'm resigned to the fact that eventually they will need to be registered sooner rather than later for me as I'm guessing I will drop my cut off to 30 days pretty quick. as it seems you can't do anything much without triggering that rule

question: what if my firearm doesn't have a serial number.
    i rang FSA last week and they said i would have to call back after the 24th and speak to a registry officer.

what do you think the requirement will be?
    1. best case just add a photo of the firearm
    2 stamp the firearm with identifying marks. anywhere on the firearm like under the wood to retain as much originality as possible.
    3 worst case stamp firearms in a visible location which id be a bit unhappy about TBH.

one would think #2 would be fine....after all the only time a serial number is supposed to be of any use "to keep people safer" is after its been stolen and then recovered by police...to find out where it came from..thus hidden under wood is as good as anywhere else....IF you got it stolen you report it,the serial number XXXXX is under forwood its a .32/20 single shot break open........... if a single shot break open .32/20 is recovered with no serial number visible...oh yeah that right..look under the wood..... TUI ANYONE.
    zimmer likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

The trigger to register within 30 days is reasonably high. I'd hold tight till a new bunch of clowns are at the trough in 4 and a half months, and may very well remove the need to register your FA's.
    Slug, Beetroot, Allizdog and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    The trigger to register within 30 days is reasonably high. I'd hold tight till a new bunch of clowns are at the trough in 4 and a half months, and may very well remove the need to register your FA's.
    wish i thought the chances of that were more than 0% but anyways i hope you are right.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

I had 2 shot guns without serial numbers. This was long b4 the impending poo. I put numbers on them for my insurance list.

I just invented 2 numbers (combination of my road address and some other random numbers and I think one prefix letter IIRC) and engraved under the breach area using a pneumatic engraver.
    I don't know if on a rifle for example that they are required to be visable. With the shotguns of course it is very easy to get at the numbers. I would have thought with rifle under wood is OK as long as you can demonstrate (by stripping) that it has a unique number. And the more valuable or rare I would be reluctant to have a visible number.
    Micky Duck and RUMPY like this.

Quote Originally Posted by rambo-6mmrem View Post
    wish i thought the chances of that were more than 0% but anyways i hope you are right.
    Hello, my like button has just disappeared.

Quote Originally Posted by rambo-6mmrem View Post
    (I DIDN'T START THIS THREAD AS A BITCH SESSION ABOUT REGISTATION OR THE FIRARMS SAFTY AUTHORATY ETC PLSESE KEEP YOUR BITCHING TO YOURSELF ONLY GENUINE AND HELPFUL DISCUSSION PLEASE )

I have a small collection of antique firearms all old single shots so just A cat.
    a few of which do not have any serials or marks of any kind.

now I'm resigned to the fact that eventually they will need to be registered sooner rather than later for me as I'm guessing I will drop my cut off to 30 days pretty quick. as it seems you can't do anything much without triggering that rule

question: what if my firearm doesn't have a serial number.
    i rang FSA last week and they said i would have to call back after the 24th and speak to a registry officer.

what do you think the requirement will be?
    1. best case just add a photo of the firearm
    2 stamp the firearm with identifying marks. anywhere on the firearm like under the wood to retain as much originality as possible.
    3 worst case stamp firearms in a visible location which id be a bit unhappy about TBH.
    yeah I have my dads old 16 gauge hammer shotgun probably early 1890 no makers name and some years ago my brother locked it shut cant be opened - so no numbers what now

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    yeah I have my dads old 16 gauge hammer shotgun probably early 1890 no makers name and some years ago my brother locked it shut cant be opened - so no numbers what now
    its already fucked and cant me fired in that case i would take it to a gunsmith and get it signed off as deactivated and put it on the wall as "not a firearm"

You can't read the serial no on my takedown rifle without taking it apart, that's the barrel on the action has a different serial no
    Happy Jack.

I will follow that up- as it is only a display piece really

Apart from the stupid idea to implement a register here, who ever would know a number on an old firearm was original or not? Most of my firearms you would find it impossible to readily research the number on them. So adding a number where there is none, wherever best suits you, sounds likely to do the job. Or am I missing something?

And is there any penalty in current legislation for adding or changing a serial number? I'm suspecting there is for grinding one off...
    zimmer likes this.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

Banned
    I would have a Gunsmith mark it correctly when the time comes. Just email them now and advise them of the situation and ask them to let you know when they have clear instruction from the Police

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Go with your number two option. I would be extremely reluctant to incur any cost to satisfy the requirement. Do it yourself.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    I had 2 shot guns without serial numbers. This was long b4 the impending poo. I put numbers on them for my insurance list.

I just invented 2 numbers (combination of my road address and some other random numbers and I think one prefix letter IIRC) and engraved under the breach area using a pneumatic engraver.
    I don't know if on a rifle for example that they are required to be visable. With the shotguns of course it is very easy to get at the numbers. I would have thought with rifle under wood is OK as long as you can demonstrate (by stripping) that it has a unique number. And the more valuable or rare I would be reluctant to have a visible number.

I used to engrave handgun frames on a cnc mill after they were imported into OZ as the importer needed to engrave deep and wanted neat as it was going to be visible. The NZ Police may want something heavier than hand engraving which would leave you with stamping or machine engraving.

No idea what you're going to do Barry unless you want to plug the muzzles.

Quote Originally Posted by No good names left View Post
    No idea what you're going to do Barry unless you want to plug the muzzles.
    Plug them with wooden dowels with red flags hanging off them stating 'bang!'
    ROKTOY and No good names left like this.