Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: NX8 vs VX6 vs Z5

Post NX8 vs VX6 vs Z5

Probably been discussed before but I couldn't find jack after looking. Soo...

In serious need of some help and advice. Building a new 7mmSAUM and stuck for what scope to put on it. Deciding between a NX8 2.5-20x50 sfp, VX6HD 3-18x44 or putting my Swaro Z5 3-18x44 from the rem mag on it.
    What advice can anyone offer? I love my swaro but worry about their robustness, repeatability and not dialing true to moa.

Note this is going to be a hunting rifle, not target shooting. Build is rem 700 action, proof ss barrel @20", Manners stock.

Cant say ive personally checked out the 2.5 nx8, ive got the 4-32 and optically **in hunting scenarios ** its not a vx6hd or the z5. Id pick the vx6hd personally. Z5 is lighter, but for me, i dont like the turrets/dialing on the z5. The leupold is so simple but so effective. 0.02c

Sounds like a wicked build though mate!
    Dicko and Moa Hunter like this.

If weight is a factor...Nightforce are typically a bit heavy. Looking at the weights the difference is significant.
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    "That is ever the way of the Highlander. He alters like a clear pool to every mood of the sky, so that the shallow observer knows not how deep the waters are."

I love my Swaro Z5 but would not recommend it on that setup.
    Personally I’d be looking to the Zeiss V4 #93 reticle. It’s a robust scope with a clean reticle that allows multiple styles of shooting.
    The Leupold have a great rep but I don’t get it lol they seem over priced with rubbish reticle options.
    I don’t have any experience with the NF as a hunting scope. Only on steel where it’s fantastic. Different model though.

Z5 with a 4w is about perfect if weights the name of the game other wise vx5 and z6 are tonother winners aswell as v4 and v6 I like the low profile turrets of the leupold
    hotsoup likes this.

Tall target test the Z5 Brad, otherwise NX8 all day.
    ishoot10s likes this.
    Warm Barrels!

Looked through a forum members nx8 on Saturday and would be one of them all day long. Doubt you could break it, amazing glass and we all know NF don't muck around with their dials
    ishoot10s, tikka, Danny and 2 others like this.

Gkp
    I have had all of those scopes and they are all very different.

Z5, nice fine rectile, light weight, avg turrets, strength? Great to keep the weight down on an alpine rifle

Vx6 probably a good compromise over all 3, good weight, medium weight rectile, nice zero stop turret

Nx8 is a serious piece of kit, better money spent than a vx6 IMO, insane rectile, nice glass, wicked turrets, a bit heavier but good to control recoil. I wouldnt imagine the 2.5x mag would be useful unless sfp
    Philipo, Moa Hunter and superdiver like this.

Apparently the 2 biggest cunts on here lol Philipo's Avatar
    Yup Gkp pretty much summed it up

I have all three set up at the mo ( all spf )

Name:  Scopes x3.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  356.6 KB

Z5 - pros - light & 4w is a great hunting reticle Cons - limited to 13.25 moa, very long & not made for dropping down a 800y scree slip in the southern alps

VX6 - pros , good alrounder - weight n toughness, Alumina caps awesome, well made with great warranty - importer ( something I found lacking with JD at Swaro ) luminated tmoa is a great "tops" reticle

Con's - terrible throw lever ( good bye knee cap ) a bit over priced at the mo

NX8 - pros . Beautify built, MOAR reticle & illumination is great in sfp, strong az, great scope. Con's - a little heavy, need to run with a rail ( as they're very short ) & the plastic flip lids are ok, the rear rotates well but they don't fold all the wat flush ( like the leupies do )

As for glass, in my eyes & testing they are all pretty much on par during day time & dusk I'd go Swaro, Leupy -NF, the NF will give you a few min's right on dark being the larger objective

Come's down to how strong n clumsy you are
    7mmsaum, tikka, Moa Hunter and 4 others like this.
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!

DBD
    What about Zeiss v6, another strong contender in the 18x power range of scopes.
    hotsoup likes this.

Nightforce all day mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    superdiver likes this.
    Dan M

Gkp
    Quote Originally Posted by DBD View Post
    What about Zeiss v6, another strong contender in the 18x power range of scopes.
    Had one of them too. Great scope, kind of a cross between the nx8 and the vx6. The only thing that put me off is I found the rectile a bit thick for accurate long range shots
    superdiver likes this.

March SFP or FFP according to your preference

DBD
    Quote Originally Posted by Gkp View Post
    Had one of them too. Great scope, kind of a cross between the nx8 and the vx6. The only thing that put me off is I found the rectile a bit thick for accurate long range shots
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Really, I can't agree with that. I find it one of the finest reticles, nowhere near the stumps of a vx6
    It takes 20 barrels of water to make 1 barrel of beer...

Gkp
    Quote Originally Posted by DBD View Post
    Really, I can't agree with that. I find it one of the finest reticles, nowhere near the stumps of a vx6[/QUOTE]

That's interesting. What rectile do you have? I had the moa2