Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Tikka T3X vs Browning X-bolt Hells Canyon SS

Tikka T3X vs Browning X-bolt Hells Canyon SS

Afternoon team

Thought I would start a bit of a debate as I'm currently at a crossroads! As per previous posts, finally after 15mth have my FAL (right in time for spring). Have done a bit of hunting growing up, mainly pig though. Spent 5 years in the Army and now a copper and have been for the last 6 years, so not new to firearms.

Now I have a decision to make, I went in to see the lads at Hamils Rotorua, who have always been great. Felt about 10 different rifles, some multiple times, without knowing price tags and have narrowed it down to two in the 308 calibre. I really like the feel of the X-bolt and was recommended this by a couple of people, including one of the boys in the store. The other is the more reputable Tikka T3X, which again, I really like the feel of but the action is a tad louder which given the fact i'll be stalking in the Kaimanawa's and on occasion Kaweka's, is this gonna be a massive issue despite the half cock.

I want to know your guys experiences, particularly those who have owned/fired both as generally speaking, if you own a either one and not fired the other, of course you're going to swear by them.

Tikka obviously really reputable, lots of upgraded components and good re-sale, not much to complain about at all from what I hear.
    X-bolt not as popular, one of the reviews said it was not AS accurate out of the box and need to find the right load for sub MOA.

I know you guys on here are super knowledgeable and keen to pass on advice, so fire away.

Scottie
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
    Afternoon team

Thought I would start a bit of a debate as I'm currently at a crossroads! As per previous posts, finally after 15mth have my FAL (right in time for spring). Have done a bit of hunting growing up, mainly pig though. Spent 5 years in the Army and now a copper and have been for the last 6 years, so not new to firearms.

Now I have a decision to make, I went in to see the lads at Hamils Rotorua, who have always been great. Felt about 10 different rifles, some multiple times, without knowing price tags and have narrowed it down to two in the 308 calibre. I really like the feel of the X-bolt and was recommended this by a couple of people, including one of the boys in the store. The other is the more reputable Tikka T3X, which again, I really like the feel of but the action is a tad louder which given the fact i'll be stalking in the Kaimanawa's and on occasion Kaweka's, is this gonna be a massive issue despite the half cock.

I want to know your guys experiences, particularly those who have owned/fired both as generally speaking, if you own a either one and not fired the other, of course you're going to swear by them.

Tikka obviously really reputable, lots of upgraded components and good re-sale, not much to complain about at all from what I hear.
    X-bolt not as popular, one of the reviews said it was not AS accurate out of the box and need to find the right load for sub MOA.

I know you guys on here are super knowledgeable and keen to pass on advice, so fire away.

Scottie
    Hi Scottie I've had both Browning and Tikka and a few others in-between.
    I still have a Tikka.
    And handed the browning X bolt down to my son.
    The thing I didn't like about the browning is it's very thin in the pistol grip and having a tang safety I could never find it when in a hurry.
    I have big hands and my thumb always ended up on the back of the bolt.
    My son also has an X Bolt in .223 as well as his 7-08 and neither are as accurate as the Tikka's.
    Also the stock on his 7mm has gone very tacky although it's probably 6-8 years old.
    Tikka is a bit lighter I think.
    My son has just brought a Tikka to replace his browning.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

Hey scottie

I have never handled an Xbolt but my rifle is a tikka and you are right, it is pretty noisy when clambering a round.

You can shove your fingers in there and go slow but its tricky and not always possible.

It is possible to upgrade the half cock on the tikka tho and others on here will know far more about that than me.

If I was you i would go with what feels the best, if its the Xbolt then don't worry about reputation.

You will probably shoot better with a rifle that fits you well with a less reputation than one that has a great reputation but doesn't fit you as well !

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam, mikee and Steve123 like this.
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

Ive owned 3 of each.
    Mag is better in the browning as is the quality of the stainless.
    I have had tikkas that rust despite being stainless.
    Tikka trigger is easier to get down to 2lb.
    Browning needs a gunsmith or an aftermarket trigger.
    Boyh shoot ok but the tikka seems more accurate with more loads.
    Hope that helps.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Have owned both. No longer own the Browning but have multiple Tikkas. The Browning is a nice rifle with a nice positive action. My biggest dislike was the trigger. They are just not that nice once you know what a nice trigger is. Tikka have an awesome trigger and silky smooth bolt which can easily be modified to a very good half cock with safety applied for bush stalking. Having experienced multiple times over how good Tikka shoot I won’t go back but if your in the bush this won’t matter much as sub moa means nothing at those ranges. Pick the one you like the most, both good quality.

try a howa......nearly bought the 308 version myself...being a bush hobbit,gun fit is critical for me...and they just come up right....bought one in 270 and have zero complaints....just dont handle a sako.....NOTHING compares to the smoothness of them.

That’s a good option too, Howa 1500 make a well priced rifle.

I have a browning x bolt but the stainless stalker version. I think the cerakote on the hells canyon is a little bit of a gimick as underneath it is just carbon steel, not stainless so the bore would be more prone to rust/pitting which is the most important part.

As you have said. Tikka has really good aftermarket options too if you wanted to upgrade, but you probably wouldn’t need to. Only thing on the tikka is their action in 308 is a long action so adds a little bit more length overall (only about half an inch). Not a drama unless you were wanting to go as short as possible.

Have they got a bergara b14 extreme in stock? They’d be worth a look too, 18inch barrel in 308 and cerakote over stainless, but you won’t regret buying a tikka I don’t think.

Cheers guys I really appreciate all the input.

Went in again to have a feel. Don't think it helped my situation one bit haha!

I think I may end up with the Tikka purely due to price now. Anywhere from 3-500 cheaper depending on where you get it and what version.

On holiday for a couple weeks so still plenty of time to change my mind!!!

Set up at this stage for both have been priced up:

Browning Xbolt HC SS - $2100
    Suppressor - $350
    Rings/Bases - $160
    Leupold VX Freedom 3x9x40 - $650 (Guncity has for sale atm for $499) Wanted Leupold as have used in the past on other rifles and love them.

Tikka T3X Elite (Fluted/Threaded) - $1749
    Above accessories

Will see!

I have the Stainless Stalker XBolt. I suspect it might weigh a fraction lighter than the Tikka? Great rifle but lightening the trigger is a wee bit of fluffing around, could be simpler on the Tikka perhaps.
    Scottie likes this.

Go for a howa. Broncos sells an aftermarket composite stock or you could run thr hogue they come with. Accurate rifles and cheap but if you set on those 2 my vote is +1 tikka
    Steve123 and Scottie like this.

Quote Originally Posted by superdiver View Post
    Go for a howa. Broncos sells an aftermarket composite stock or you could run thr hogue they come with. Accurate rifles and cheap but if you set on those 2 my vote is +1 tikka
    Yeah had had a nosy at the Howa but preferred the feel of the above two. The action seemed a bit clunkier, although I know it still needs to be lubricated/worn in, off the shelf I preferred the others.

Howa action is clunky, but best value for money.
    Unsure if NZ are getting them, or how far away they are, but looks like Howa / Legacy now do a 308 in;
    Carbon Stalker - 22" Standard blued barrel in a CF Stock - Startin at 4lb 10oz.
    Carbon Elevate - 24" CF wrapped heavy barrel in CF Stock - Starting at 4lb 13oz.
    HS Precision - 24" CF wrapped barrel in a Kevlar, Fibreglass, Carbon Fibre Stock - at 7.8lb.

All said and done, if you go Tikka, I have just pulled the pin on a Hells Canyon. We could meet up and range test them side by side!

Can't help with which rifle.... Nothing wrong with a vx3 I've still got one on the 22 but I'd be spending a bit more on your scope.

Buy once cry once
    Rich007 likes this.

Go for what ever fits you best, Look at something, close your eyes and bring the rifle up. If it points well and feels comfortable go for that one.
    If your going to be bush hunting with it quick targeting is important.