Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: NZ Police import permit 'Hand in' MSSA policy

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Yea but you see there is a problem. If you have people manufacturing MSSA's then our govt is failing to meet United nations goals and expectations, so I'm told.
    Not sure if you're a) taking the piss, b) wearing a tin-foil hat, or c) there's some official UN treaty I'm not aware of?

Option C. You know as much as I do. But everytime I've questioned such BS the answer has always been mildly incoherent rambling about meeting UN obligations, people above or outside of police influencing policy etc.

I believe this is what you are after... UNODA - Small Arms and Light Weapons
    stretch likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ubique View Post
    I believe this is what you are after... UNODA - Small Arms and Light Weapons
    Wow. Some light reading to be done there!

Quote Originally Posted by AzumitH View Post
    Every time. AR mag permit was funny, was asked to hand over some MSSA mags, "but not Steyr ones from the Army".
    I wonder if cardboard approximations made at a kindy would suffice? Wouldn't they have to quote/refer you to the appropriate part of the law where it states you have to do this in order to get your permit?

Meanwhile, licenses for patched members of the Head Hunters fly for a few years: Gang member slips through gun safety net - National - NZ Herald News
    MSL likes this.

Ejected
    AO rules are fairly random. Maybe this bloke was not aware that the hand in requirements was dropped. Keep politely arguing.

Quote Originally Posted by MassiveAttack View Post
    AO rules are fairly random. Maybe this bloke was not aware that the hand in requirements was dropped. Keep politely arguing.
    Mine was a MSSA permit approved in Wellington.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Can you use "because local prices are artificially inflated" as the good reason you need to provide as to why you want an import permit?
    Tommy likes this.

I use 'make and model not available locally'.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Quote Originally Posted by MassiveAttack View Post
    That law changed quite a while ago, didn't it? Like 5 + years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    Can you use "because local prices are artificially inflated" as the good reason you need to provide as to why you want an import permit?
    Nope, price is not of any concern to them, or so I have been told.

Quote Originally Posted by AzumitH View Post
    Nope, price is not of any concern to them, or so I have been told.
    Neither is prosecuting people who break firearms laws. They pick on legitimate people instead of going after the problem - people who don't obey the law. The only thing that stops people converting an A into an E is not wanting to be done and have license taken away. If they don't prosecute people who DO break the law, then what is achieved? It's precisely why the whole A/E thing is a pile of horseshit frankly, they are pushing the wrong wagon here.
    dogmatix likes this.

How do gang members get guns? They apply for a firearms licence and the Police approve them…really

"So cops can’t be bothered investigating burglaries – particularly the ones where firearms are stolen – and they can’t undertake quality due diligence on firearms applicants.

But they reserve their right to complain (through Police Association president Greg O’Connor) about crooks pointing guns at them.

Ok.

I hope I don’t have to connect the dots here. Seriously?

We have a national enquiry into how criminals obtain guns. Do we need to follow through?

The issue is the Police and their sloppiness. If they did their job there wouldn’t be an issue.

It is becoming apparent that the Police, at least the Arms Officers aren’t doing their jobs. Is it time to outsource them? If it was me I’d start with Gerry Booth at Manukau, he has to be the worst, most self opinionated, arrogant, clip-board wielding officious cock doing the job of Arms Officer."

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Neither is prosecuting people who break firearms laws. They pick on legitimate people instead of going after the problem - people who don't obey the law. The only thing that stops people converting an A into an E is not wanting to be done and have license taken away. If they don't prosecute people who DO break the law, then what is achieved? It's precisely why the whole A/E thing is a pile of horseshit frankly, they are pushing the wrong wagon here.
    There are a number of A cat holders who are turning their AR's into MSSA by choosing to buy large capacity magazines and collapsible stocks. And when private sales of said components are willingly entered in to by the buyer and seller, we're all a bit fucked.

I agree, not prosecuting those who choose to break the law is a joke.
    mikee, Feral and Tommy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kscott View Post
    There are a number of A cat holders who are turning their AR's into MSSA by choosing to buy large capacity magazines and collapsible stocks. And when private sales of said components are willingly entered in to by the buyer and seller, we're all a bit fucked.

I agree, not prosecuting those who choose to break the law is a joke.
    A cat holders who are already assessed as being 'of good character'. I was more pointing toward the fact an A cat AR15 can live in a bs tinfoil safe, but an E cat AR has to live in an E cat safe - an it takes next to no time to turn an A into an E (2 seconds if we're talking big mags, which is really the only functional difference apart from a collapsing stock) so Mr Burglar doesn't give a toss about the distinction between the two once he's got ahold of an A because he doesn't obey the law. Hence why I think the whole E thing is poorly thought out. They should be more interested in the whole good character thing than stupid stuff like turning in/swapping triggers at customs, and only selling complete ARs, it's unnecessary bullshit that stops nothing and impedes the law-abiding. Actually applying the weight of the law to transgressors (burglars, people selling to unlicensed, etc)

This guy being a good example: Gun collector's actions 'abhorrent' - National - NZ Herald News , sentenced to 21 months for selling 121 restricted firearms, inc at least 30 pistols and 4 "machine guns". Reckon he actually served 21 months? Even if he did serve the whole lot, that's just over 5 days per restricted firearm ffs
    Kscott and Steve123 like this.