Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By The bomb
  • 2 Post By ebf
  • 3 Post By MSL

Thread: Open sights and suppressors

Open sights and suppressors

Hey team,
    Currently in the process of setting up a bergara ba13 single shot and will be suppressing it. My question is how would one go about setting it up with open sights as well? I already have a dpt mini magnum suppressor for it which is over barrel by a little bit which makes it go over the mounting holes for the front sight.
    I've explored the idea of a red dot and a low power scope but my first preference would be open sights.
    Is it as simple as getting the front sight drilled and tapped to be just behind the suppressor?
    Cheers
    George

Chances are the suppressor will be higher than the open sights and you won’t be able to see through them. It sounds like you have your sights though? You could blue tack your front sight in place to see how it looks, if still usable then yes it is as simple as you say to just have new holes drilled and tapped.

Your other option is to get flip up open sights that fit on the picatinny rail, this will leave you with a very short sighting radius however, which as a rule will decrease your accuracy.

There's an option for a ring type front sight that clamps around suppressors. Made by some Euro suppressor manufacturers. I can't remember who makes it, I've linked it here before though. Would be easy to get one made I reckon.

I'm just about to do this for the Baikal 30-30 I have made
    I will use a swivel mount stud through the Back bushing of the suppressor as a timing screw into a location blind hole in the barrel
    Then I can mount a front sight blade on the top front of the suppressor

Look at the height and fabricate a rear flip up sight for the weaver scope rail
    Would need to run QD mounts

Guess if it was straightforward there would be more people doing it. Maybe need to go back to the drawing board for a think

the magic lazer beam is the other way to do it..... it could stay on permanently and be used with or without scope.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

there are also short radius ones that will go into scope bases....so think pistol sights 4-6" apart
    75/15/10 black powder matters

I just bought a muzzle forward main bit for mine when I shoot with the opens,then swap baffles from the overbarrel onto it.,will post pictures after dinner.
    Micky Duck likes this.

ebf
    @cheeseclip, I've played with several options in this space.

Red dot will be by far the easiest option.

With open sights, sight radius is your friend, so I moved the rear sight from the barrel mounting position to the "chamber" to increase it.

I initially tried a DIY, smaller diameter suppressor, but was never really happy with the accuracy I got from that. Even with the smaller diameter can, I ended up having to make a riser block for the factory front sight blade, so that it was visible over the suppressor. Obviously if you want max sight radius you should be looking at a forward can (assuming you want a front blade).

The other major hurdle was the design of the BA13 stock. The Monte Carlo type cheek riser is meant to get your head in the correct position for a scope, but sucks when you are using open sights.

I have a functional setup at this stage, with a Skinner sight kinda grafted onto the rear end of the picatinny rail, and the front blade on a small riser block, but to be honest I would prefer both the rear and front sight to be around 5mm higher for better natural alignment. That is on the to-do list for machining, not sure when I will get to it...

Using a red-dot will bypass all of those headaches. Something like a Holosun 507c v2 reflex sight would be just about perfect IMHO.
    Last edited by ebf; 30-07-2022 at 08:11 PM.
    Micky Duck and Cordite like this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

MSL

Open sights and suppressors

This worked well for me.
    Measure your existing sights as they may clear the suppressor, height wise at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Micky Duck, Cordite and cheeseclip like this.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  1.15 MB
    Spook and shoot setup.

Longer range and low light setupName:  image.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  1.19 MBName:  image.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  1.19 MB

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  1.13 MBopen sights for the wet weather bush stalking