Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: To optic or not?

I’m trying to get hi viz open sights fitted to my bergara so I’m not constantly trying to keep a scope clear in wet scrub or shitty weather. I enjoy using them and the simplicity.

I recently upgraded my lever from a 1-4x20 to a 1.5-6x42 both #4's. Must say that the newer scope really lets me look into the shadows under trees and bush edges in low light. Decided to upgrade as I found myself taking a lot more shots in the 200-250mtr range than expected.

My last deer at end of November was at about 5:30am in a deep shaded river valley against a dark rock background. No problem at 100 mtr except I left the scope on 1.5 power which turned out to be just as well as she ran straight at me so coped a second round at 30mtr.

I say go low power scope to help the eyes out. (with heavy duplex or German #4 retical as crisp black as you can find)
    I can't shoot open sights on my little 22rf without flicking up the rear peep sight.(it has a peep, rear notch and front blade).
    Z

I tried a 3x9x42 on my blr and it just seemed physically too big. Much prefer the smaller 20 to 32 objective size. I accept that these do not gather as much light but the generally lower magnification tends to balance this out. I like the #4 as well.
    Problem is there is a lot less choice in the smaller more compact scopes than there used to be. Everyone seems to want to bolt a telescope to their long range rig. I still like to fit a scope to the rifle, not a rifle to the scope.
    Micky Duck likes this.

I have an older BLR which is going to run a Leupy m8 fixed 3 ( Phillips Holdens go to) keeping it low profile and light weight.
    On my 336 I have a pig plex 1-5 and rate them. ZQlewis suggestion is a good one - best of both worlds, number 4 reticle is one of my favs.
    I do have a 94 with aperture and rate them highly over the buck horns for my older eyes. the viz glow foresight will be the next add I reckon.
    James Passmore makes some good points in his book on the effectiveness of aperture sights on levers in shit conditions, whilst keeping the natural balance of the lever rig.
    I think the Bomb here runs that set up from memory with a change over scope, especially for bush hunting in different light and weather conditions.
    ZQLewis likes this.

i have the ghost ring sights on the 45/70 but I find they can cover to much of the target for my liking . Then went to a pistol holographic green dot which is great for two eyes open shooting and for improved visibility on target and I find a lot faster to get on target. But as far as visibility of target , low light , or longer distances or precise shooting , a scope , even low power , simply can't be beaten in my opinion
    GSP HUNTER, Micky Duck and ZQLewis like this.
    born to hunt - forced to work

I know this rifle model comes out with a fibre optic front bead which could be a game changer from other older open sights. Looking at all of the replies( thank you!) I would say it comes down to the quality of your eyes... If you wear glasses then its another ball game! I am going to deny the money hungry retailers and go with the open sights, learn to use them well and rely on that medal I won 30 years ago for marksmanship, as well as good stalking /hunting technique to get as close as possible. ( advice from a retired culler) That way the retrieve is also doing to be easier. If that doesn't work for me I am going to buy a cheap Chinese low powered red dot and scope, and beat them to hell for as long as they last, but that will tell me which option is the next best. Then, if I'm still able, I will get the good stuff and be done. Of course, good load and projectile selection can also help!
    Phil_H likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GSP HUNTER View Post
    I have an older BLR which is going to run a Leupy m8 fixed 3 ( Phillips Holdens go to) keeping it low profile and light weight.
    On my 336 I have a pig plex 1-5 and rate them. ZQlewis suggestion is a good one - best of both worlds, number 4 reticle is one of my favs.
    I do have a 94 with aperture and rate them highly over the buck horns for my older eyes. the viz glow foresight will be the next add I reckon.
    James Passmore makes some good points in his book on the effectiveness of aperture sights on levers in shit conditions, whilst keeping the natural balance of the lever rig.
    I think the Bomb here runs that set up from memory with a change over scope, especially for bush hunting in different light and weather conditions.
    a 3x M8....stop it you horrible man.....Im drooling all over keyboard..Graham henry was another who likes simple low power scopes.