Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Optics cleaning products?

There are two situations needing cleaning:

Fine condensation on outside of lens due to coldglass ad warm sweating body in wet weather. Specially happens if drops of water get inside your scope covers. I use a small 5x5cm square of clean chamois cloth for this but microfibre or lens paper is ok too.ive found antifog spray and water beading stuff doesnt prevent this. Larger raindrops are also a problem but build up slowly. When youve got water on your lenses its urgent and youve gotta fix it ir you cant shoot and may as well be at home watching Utube.

Run out of time. Will post about the other situation if i get back to it latr.

Condensation has been a problem lately, seem to manage to have awkward shots and crouching over the rifle and breathe on the scope as I'm getting set up lol

These are the ones I use. $10 for 60[ATTACH=CONFIG]58328
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by hotbarrels View Post
    Going to give these ones a whirl

I got a lens pen from Harvey Norman in the camera section, has brush one end and the carbon cloth pad thingy the other under a cap. $15 or something

The other situation is dirt or dust on lenses. Not so urgent as you can see through iKey is to dry brush or bl to shoot. ow first and get most of it off. Then moist cloth breathe on it dont wipe it while dry. Lens pen is good for this (doesnt need moisture). Lens pen gets gooed up if you use it on lens wih antifog spray on film so it dont use the antifig liquids. Can decontaminate the lenspen with careful wiping on clean surface like window glass or i think i used meths.

Doubt there is a Specsaver on the island, but they have little bottles of lens cleaner. It's excellent with one of their microfibre lens cloths. Don't know the price but they give it away with new specs, so can't be toooo costly.
    Pengy likes this.
    Used to be a fine wine - now I'm vinegar.

Quote Originally Posted by keneff View Post
    Doubt there is a Specsaver on the island, but they have little bottles of lens cleaner. It's excellent with one of their microfibre lens cloths. Don't know the price but they give it away with new specs, so can't be toooo costly.
    Yeah got a bottle when I got my special and look very that stuff but seem to have misplaced it. No doubt I'll need a new prescription / trash a pair at some point this year and can get another bottle

Isopropal alcohol and a cotton bud. dip the cotton bud and from the center of the lens wipe round in small circurls working to the outside. repeat with a dry cotton bud. Thats how we clean the optics and tubes for Night Vision equipment

Quote Originally Posted by Tasbay View Post
    Isopropal alcohol and a cotton bud. dip the cotton bud and from the center of the lens wipe round in small circurls working to the outside. repeat with a dry cotton bud. Thats how we clean the optics and tubes for Night Vision equipment
    Is this safe to use where rubber seals are present?
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    Is this safe to use where rubber seals are present?
    That my concern as well, but if he is using it on n.v. Gear I would expect it to be ok on a scope

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    I use single use lens cleaning tissues from the optometrist. Individually wrapped so I know it will be clean. About $10 for a box. Always have some in my pocket/bag.
    Yup, "should've gone to SpecSavers.."
    Exactly what I use, ideal/compact/convenient.
    30 in a box for $6- if you think that's too expensive, feel free to write off $100s of gear..

Teat wipes. The things the cow cockies get in their dry cow therapy but never use. I get them from all my milker friends and hoard the shit outa them. They're like a wet wipe but are alcohol based. I clean all my optics, handguns, rifles and parts with them. Being alcohol they keep your hands clean and take off all the black scummy carbon crap on bolts, around chambers and other pieces. And the liquid evaporates after a few minutes so the lenses don't need to be dried.

And they're free!!