Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 5 Post By Proudkiwi
  • 1 Post By 6x47
  • 2 Post By Mintie

Thread: Which PCP and why?

Which PCP and why?

Folks,

I posted this question in a thread in the for sale section, but its probably more relevant in here.

There are a number of members with knowledge on PCP air rifles, so let me ask a question.

If you had $3k to spend on a PCP (bare rifle), what would you buy and why?

I want something half decent, that's accurate and quiet to knock over birds in a residentialish area.

What say you?

Only reason why not would be if you dont have your firearms license.

PCP air rifles are just so nice to shoot. zero recoil, 10 shot mag, 30-100 rounds per fill depending on if regulated or not. Really need a dive bottle to fill them as you get tired of a hand pump pretty quickly.

Air Arms, FX take you pick. also a few good east European ones worth looking at.

I have an AA 510 in 22 cal. will put 10 shots through a single ragged hole at 20m. Then I bought an FX Wildcat bullpup in 25 cal. Nice gun but felt too much like an AR15 and just didnt feel right so sold it nad am back to the AA510.

take a look at "New Zealand airgunners/rimfire" over on MeWe.

Some knowledgeable guys on there who can steer you in the right direction and might have something you can buy. No selling restriction on MeWe.

You must have a fire arms license for ALL pcp rifles

http://https://hermannsguns.com.au/f...pcp-air-rifle/

Fx continuum is the pcp I would get. It has the ability to tune to anything you need to do. But it's a premium rifle, I would see if it's locally available first. Dudes are shooting way beyond 100m with this

Which ever PCP you buy it pays to invest in a chony to tune it, the FX chony and its brillant. My 22 Wildcat3 is shooting well and is a nice gun to carry if its for hunting you want. The models further up have more adjustability and power. Running mine at 32ftp for 18g pellets and 21g slugs, turn it down a notch to use 16g hades.

Name:  20220302_210539 (2).jpg
Views: 239
Size:  196.8 KB

Thanks for the input.

Mintie also gave me some food for thought, and after considering his comments I ended up ordering a Daystate Red Wolf.

Should arrive any day now.

You won't be disappointed.
    Here's my Daystate Airwolf MCT in action. Have killed a lot of pests with that.

Yep, that seems pretty reflective of how accurate they are in general.

I only hope I can do it justice.

Does it have an electronic trigger? Those things are as light as a feather

Yeh, my Daystate has the electronic trigger and also the electronic pressure mapping to avoid those vel variations. I cannot see any significant impact changes with the pressure between 220 bar and 140 bar. I haven't bothered letting it get lower than that.

Actually, got a phone call about a life sentence block a whole 2mins away- the guys at the local gunshop had put the owner onto me. Went down at 6.45 tonight and knocked over 6 bunnies in short order.
    Steelisreal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 6x47 View Post
    Yeh, my Daystate has the electronic trigger and also the electronic pressure mapping to avoid those vel variations. I cannot see any significant impact changes with the pressure between 220 bar and 140 bar. I haven't bothered letting it get lower than that.

Actually, got a phone call about a life sentence block a whole 2mins away- the guys at the local gunshop had put the owner onto me. Went down at 6.45 tonight and knocked over 6 bunnies in short order.
    Depending on the power level your MCT should be fine down to around 80 bar, Do a full shot string over a chrony from 200bar and see where the velocity starts to drop.
    6x47 and 55six like this.