Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Rem 600 Mohawks

Rem 600 Mohawks

Morning Team.

Has anyone had much experience with Remington 600 Mohawks?

They seem to be reminiscent of a time before Remington went to shit.

I have acquired one in .222 with a tired bore that I'm going to rechamber in .223 as my go-to-do everything rifle.

I shot a few deer with a .308 one earlier in my life but would like to hear your opinions.

Cheers aye.
    csmiffy likes this.

wack up a picture, I like the look of the old girls

the barrel rib and groovy bolt knob ones get extra style points

Id say the remington 7 and 700 barrels would likely fit if you find a cheep take off one

I saw one on TM the other day. Good solid rifles - the bolt does look odd, and some folkes just doesn't like the look.

But they sure are great guns. Made when Remington was still build by people that actually hunted and competed.

Post some pictures if you will?

I bought one of the first Mohawk .308 in NZ waaaaayyyy back (from Dave Tipple...I don't recall that he was 'Gun City' at that time).
    Very accurate wee rifle, great trigger. Put on a set of Conetrol mounts too.
    At first the rifle bolt felt stiff, then I noticed scuff marks on the bottom bolt lug.
    The front action screw was too long and poked up into the lug recess area where the lug hit it as the bolt turned in to lock.
    So, bad QC for that wee bit...but that was all the problem I ever had.
    The short barrel was not good for the ears though. No suppressor back then.
    Mine had the early models square shaped woodwork, the later ones were more rounded.
    That wee Mohawk was the one rifle I should never have sold.
    Yeah, enjoy your Mohawk...great rifle.

Even though I'm left handed and find bolt actions awkward, my .308 Mohawk was the best bush hunting rifle I ever had...never should have sold it..
    Grey Kiwi and caberslash like this.

Cool rifles, I've got a 660 which was chambered 284win not ideal for the short mag length so had a Criterion prefit remington in 6mm creedmoor put on. Had a gunsmith do it which was a regret as he cocked it up, but should be a cool wee rifle when finished. I think you can get a aluminium bottom metal for it out of the states as the plastic one can warp. I'm gunna make one up and see how it goes.

I would happily purchase another, the actions and trigger are nice, and Lightweight. Some rem barrels were 1 in 9 twist I think so may be a good option if you can find one, 1 in 8 would be better again if you reload and planning on shooting heavier pills.

Refreshing inputs team , really appreciate it and it seems i've made a good purchase - Pics in good time when I pick it up.

I was thinking of changing the .222 barrel to .223 and making it my go-to rifle.

I have an old .308 one sitting in the safe as well , I was thinking of rebarreling to .22-250 , or maybe another short action light recoiling cartridge , not 100% Sure yet but will find out. I feel the compactness of the Mohawk would be wasted on a long ass .22-250 barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaco Goosen View Post
    I saw one on TM the other day. Good solid rifles - the bolt does look odd, and some folkes just doesn't like the look.

But they sure are great guns. Made when Remington was still build by people that actually hunted and competed.

Post some pictures if you will?
    I think that's the one i got.

If you are into reloading, then download a .308 Mohawk to 30-30 velocities.
    The deer won't know, you won't go quite so deaf, and recoil that a 2 month old baby can handle

Had an early model vent rib Remington 600 in 243 - identical to example below. Beautiful wee centrefire. Ideal size/accuracy for NZDA competitions and northern bush. For me also its the one rifle I most wish I had kept. Old man had one in 308 at the same time - just 5.5lbs and kicked like a horse! A web pic:

Name:  remington-model-600-carbine.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  218.0 KB

Mmmmmm.....
    Last edited by mudgripz; 10-11-2022 at 04:14 PM.
    Grey Kiwi, Mathias and Mohawk .308 like this.

The vent rib barrel is somewhat special!!

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Always had a hankering for one in 350Rem magnum. Probably not the best platform for that but a
    great looking piece of kit.
    Moa Hunter and csmiffy like this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Had a 222 back in the 80's and used it for most of my hunting back then. Mine didn't have the rib on it. It was great for spotlighting as it was short and easy to use in confined spaces, shot my best red stag with it in 1980. It was a great rifle to cart around on the many pack in trips we did back then being short and not weighting in at to much.
    I don't know if I would change the caliber to 223 as I found the 222 did an excellent job for everything I hunted at the time. It would be nice to get another one in good condition some time.

Would be good as a donation action for the 260 rem

Quote Originally Posted by 260rem View Post
    Would be good as a donation action for the 260 rem
    True to the name! haha