Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Pocket Binos

res
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    What's a good price you have seen lately say for the pocket 10x25 B?

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
    mate got some on my recommendation ( more fool him taking advice from me, a self confessed optics snob and swerve fan boy) from the yellow site a couple of weeks back for $650 that look brand new. I paid $700 from memory on this site from my 8x also like new. I think he got told just over a grand new by a couple of NZ retailers- even thats cheaper than I could find for as new on canadian and us farce book groups.

Have you looked through some at dawn/dusk? you may find if your trying to rate game guiding that you wished you had your full size alfa binos
    Using Tapatalk

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by res View Post
    mate got some on my recommendation ( more fool him taking advice from me, a self confessed optics snob and swerve fan boy) from the yellow site a couple of weeks back for $650 that look brand new. I paid $700 from memory on this site from my 8x also like new. I think he got told just over a grand new by a couple of NZ retailers- even thats cheaper than I could find for as new on canadian and us farce book groups.

Have you looked through some at dawn/dusk? you may find if your trying to rate game guiding that you wished you had your full size alfa binos
    They will never be primary hunting binos but will prove useful. I actually want them for the truck and boat. Also as a quick confirmation for any animals I'm stalking to make sure I havent spooked them etc.
    I also like using binos in the bush and the little 10x25s would be ideal instead of lugging around my 10x42s and having to take out and put back into a bivvy for a quick glance.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
    res likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Regarding weight, fiddly lens caps and "heavy" bino bags...

Go on Ebay and get some el-cheapo flip-up scope lens covers - you can get them clear window, yellow window or all-black. On my 6x30 porros I've got them arranged so they open towards the midline and just fold over each other when the binoculars are in use. If dropped when the flip cap is open, they will still protect the front end, unlike a standard lens cap.

The diameters refer to external diameter of binoculars, not objective lens diameter.

Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  143.7 KB
    johnd, erniec, Shearer and 3 others like this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    Regarding weight, fiddly lens caps and "heavy" bino bags...

Go on Ebay and get some el-cheapo flip-up scope lens covers - you can get them clear window, yellow window or all-black. On my 6x30 porros I've got them arranged so they open towards the midline and just fold over each other when the binoculars are in use. If dropped when the flip cap is open, they will still protect the front end, unlike a standard lens cap.

The diameters refer to external diameter of binoculars, not objective lens diameter.

Attachment 136054
    I got some of these off Ali express a few years ago for my Kowa 10x32s. Really good solution.
    Cordite likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

As I get older my vision acuity along with cataract compromises seeing animals in dappled shady forest. I have folloed tjis thread with interest and done a little research. The small 20-25mm objectives on even high grade mini binos seem also to limit fov and light gathering compared to 30-40-50mm objectives. Trluble is that the larger binos have weight and bulk disadvantages.
    Therefore I have been looking into monocular options. Very good quality at half the cost. I am now considering high quality 3-6 or 8 *30 -36-40 . These seem to offer better light gathering, fov while not being too bulky or expensive as full binos.
    Any comments appreciated, thanks.
    MB likes this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    As I get older my vision acuity along with cataract compromises seeing animals in dappled shady forest. I have folloed tjis thread with interest and done a little research. The small 20-25mm objectives on even high grade mini binos seem also to limit fov and light gathering compared to 30-40-50mm objectives. Trluble is that the larger binos have weight and bulk disadvantages.
    Therefore I have been looking into monocular options. Very good quality at half the cost. I am now considering high quality 3-6 or 8 *30 -36-40 . These seem to offer better light gathering, fov while not being too bulky or expensive as full binos.
    Any comments appreciated, thanks.
    I get sick of having one eye shut.
    Cordite likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    I get sick of having one eye shut.
    I believe he means bush hunting, so a quick scan of an area before you move into it rather than an extended periods glassing
    Shearer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarvo View Post
    No luck with Zeiss either - had Terra but would not go there :-(
    Will have prices on Steiner soon - something I know little about and willing to give a try
    Interested to hear how you rate the glass. The 8x30s they do are about perfect for what I'm looking for in a bino. The diamondbacks need an upgrade

I have a set of steiner 8*30 safari ultra sharp (won hihitahi) and they're good but not rated waterproof. Take a look at Steiner website. Been making v god stuff for a long time.
    My main reason for small option is bush scan over indicating dog so range is under 300m and in shadows. Light gatheting, high contrast, wide fov, low power.
    Now looking at vortex solo 8*36 monocular. Some others like nikon or minox produce 5*25 or such but I want wide fov and plenty light and contrast so probably go with vortex.
    Summer grass
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

My range finder is 6x magnification and I take it with me when I carry the bow. Never thought of using it as a substitute for my 8x25 binos.
    res likes this.

Yeah. Ive used my 6* rangefinder but its prone to get very grubby in the bush. Ok in the open though. Akso, the rangwfinder will cost a lot more to repkace than the $250 vortex . They also list one @ 10*36 tactical with mill mill tactical reticle for about $340 which would be very nice. Both have lifetime warrenty like leupold and 1/4 cost of zeiss swaro leica.
    Summer grass
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

My range finder is 6x magnification and I take it with me when I carry the bow. Never thought of using it as a substitute for my 8x25 binos.
    An interesting question (since people worry about weight)... just how good / bad are your rangefinder's optics?

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    An interesting question (since people worry about weight)... just how good / bad are your rangefinder's optics?
    I have a Bushnell Scout 1000 (so pretty middle of the road optically I would say) and I have just been comparing it with my 8x25 Minox BVs (again not top of the line glass).
    FOV of the rangefinder is a bit bigger (less magnification obviously) and resolution not as good but probably as good as I need for what I am doing when bow hunting in the bush.The rangefinder I carry with me anyway and is noticeably lighter. Might try leaving the binos at home next time I am out and see how it goes.
    Cordite likes this.

I have a Bushnell Scout 1000 (so pretty middle of the road optically I would say) and I have just been comparing it with my 8x25 Minox BVs (again not top of the line glass).
    FOV of the rangefinder is a bit bigger (less magnification obviously) and resolution not as good but probably as good as I need for what I am doing when bow hunting in the bush.The rangefinder I carry with me anyway and is noticeably lighter. Might try leaving the binos at home next time I am out and see how it goes.
    Good luck. For your encouragement this petite soviet viking descendant did very well with uncoated 6X binos. (-:
    Name:  external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  121.1 KB

This gear junkie went for the 6x monocular idea:
    Name:  main-qimg-23c0f87a6f04dd07c4de7b84b32ace74.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  140.1 KB
    (does he not just look like a US army NCO???)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Cordite; 13-04-2020 at 05:05 PM.
    10-Ring likes this.

@Sarvo what can you a Leica 2400-R rangemaster for? PM me if you like
    Danny likes this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!