Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: Poo seventy Bush pig build How short can I go???

With the new bullets coming for the 270 it might make it a better option than the 284 because of the factory availability of ammo and rifles .Makes sense from a marketing point of view for their sponsors and it is just a barrel chop ,no extra work
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GSP HUNTER View Post
    Being .270 owner I just happen to have the Intel on hand.

18 inch barrel. Dpt magnum suppressor.
    Factory 130 fusions at 2800 fps
    145. Eldx* 2965fps. ( hand loads )
    Look at this. With its 18" (or 20") barrel if that's not a gun for all seasons, what the heck is?

Chop it to 18” bang a dpt magnum can on the end and go shoot deer. The Duleys went 270 because it was the most effective at that length with factory ammo of which they were doing for sponsorship reasons.

Did they write a piece on bushpiging the 270 ? . Yes Tarh you might just be right that is very good performance. Any have any idea on the max range of the 145 edlx in this sort of configuration.?

jeeez Phil...I dont need a flashasmichaeljackson gonkulater to tell me that.... 3" high at hundy,near enough to dead on at 270 yards,backbone hold at 350 ...and that right there is all I NEED to know as dont use rangefinder...350ish yards is a long way with fixed 4x scope and with naked eye can pretty much guarantee Im INSIDE that range...
    GSP HUNTER, Phil_H and Finnwolf like this.

I'm in the process of cutting down an old XS7 .270 once I sort anew suppressor. The older HRE Gen1 will only allow me to cut it to 20' odd. Will sell that a buy a shorter can.

Quote Originally Posted by wayno View Post
    Did they write a piece on bushpiging the 270 ? . Yes Tarh you might just be right that is very good performance. Any have any idea on the max range of the 145 edlx in this sort of configuration.?
    I'm getting 2940fps with my rifle out of a 22inch barrel, 40 Sika last year didn't argue with that load out to 475yds.
    GSP HUNTER and superdiver like this.

With the ammo shortage at the moment you can still walk into any shop and buy 270 or 308 ammo
    Tahr, Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Duley et al used Federal 135 grn in the .270 that Derek shot the deer with.
    GSP HUNTER and stagstalker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Performance would have to be pretty close to a short 284 one would think.
    Be fairly hard on the suppresssor if really short.
    A bit behind i would guess in the fact that the 284 has more effective barrel due to the shorter case, shorter fatter columns being more efficient, and off course the pitiful BCs of 270 projectiles. Still not a terrible option if your willing to accept you are probably severely limiting resale value of your 270 whereas doing the same to a 308 wouldnt likely do the same.

The Duleys said the point of their bushpig was primarily to use factory ammo and be short. This obviously skews in favour of the 270 as it has the most case capacity. It wasnt the most efficient it just had the best performance and they determined it to suit them best a the others didn't have the power they wanted with factory rounds. Its like a 16 inch 7mm-08 and 284. The 7mm08 is more efficient based on powder burnt but the 284 still makes more velocity even if its one of those extra 50% to gain 10% type deals. They had a minimum threshold and to get it they had to go to a cartridge's with a larger case capacity or reload which went against the point of the rifle.

Any rifle can go as short as you like if you wanted a 16 inch 300 Win Mag theres no reason why you cant (especially if you reload).

The things that remain the same (or pretty much the same) regardless of barrel length is
    - Powder Burnt
    - Recoil Energy
    The things that decrease with barrel length
    -Velocity
    -Powder Efficiency
    -Suppressor Life
    The things that increase with a shorter barrel
    -Maneuverability (decreased overall length)
    -Shot volume

All of these things are slight initially and the more extreme the chop the more extreme effects.

One thing to consider is usually the short and fatter the case the shorter the barrel can go before velocity starts to drop too severely,
    the less powder capacity also has the same effect with lower powder cases not being affected by barrel length as much.

Typically heavier projectiles increase the time in the barrel and improve short barrel efficiency as well as tending to have better BCs meaning they keep it down range.

Reloading can claw back some of the loses of a short barrel but not all and if reloading in a longer barrel the gap reappears.

A 16 inch barrel and arguably an 18inch barrel of most hunting cartridge's needs a suppressor as they are bloody loud and will mess you up. They also have the same overall length as a non suppressed 20-24inch barrel that will damage hearing but not to the same level as an unsuppressed short barrel.

Cartridge's outside 308 and small calibres typically are hard to sell if they have barrels under 18inchs on the aftermarket. Shit even a 20 inch 7mm Rem Mag can be a difficult sell.

My opinion is that short bush pigs are cheap second hand so by a 2nd hand one rather than building one. The prices for a standard t3 vs one thats cut to 16 and suppressed are usually damn near the same.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    284......he calls it fhe 284superpig.
    Fiona's rifle is a 284. The men use the 270

Quote Originally Posted by GSP HUNTER View Post
    Being .270 owner I just happen to have the Intel on hand.

18 inch barrel. Dpt magnum suppressor.
    Factory 130 fusions at 2800 fps
    145. Eldx* 2965fps. ( hand loads )
    That will be about right but it definitely ain't factory ammo. They will be running a similar Superperformance load documented on here. 145 doing around 3040 out of a 22", those numbers would match with a 4" chop, minus 25-30 per inch.

Definitely ain't 145 eldx factory as while accurate does a pedestrian 308 velocity of around 2800 out of a 22" tube.

Quote Originally Posted by jackson21 View Post
    That will be about right but it definitely ain't factory ammo. They will be running a similar Superperformance load documented on here. 145 doing around 3040 out of a 22", those numbers would match with a 4" chop, minus 25-30 per inch.

Definitely ain't 145 eldx factory as while accurate does a pedestrian 308 velocity of around 2800 out of a 22" tube.
    Except that even a pedestrian 308 would be closer to 3k with 145gr and 22"
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by jackson21 View Post

As I mentioned further up, they used 135 grain factory Federal. On the program they made a point of panning onto the ammo box.

This is it (off the Federal US web site):

Terminal Ascent 270 Win
    P270TA1
    $51.99
    Currently Unavailable
    Bullet Weight: 136
    Bullet Style: Terminal Ascent
    Ballistic Coefficient: .493
    Ballistic Coefficient G7: .247
    Package Quantity: 20
    Usage: Big Game
    Last edited by Tahr; 28-02-2021 at 09:49 AM.