Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Primers???? Ran out

T.w

Primers???? Ran out

Hey lads/ladettes,

I have a question regarding primers.

I had been using Federal large magnum primers but can't get any at the local here.

I have a good number of Cci large rifle no.200 primers.

I found using 70.5gr of ar2217 was my most accurate with my load with the large magnum primers. And was just about to go down the road of changing depths. But alas. No large magnum primers left.

What should I expect with the same amount of powder with the change of primers? Any changes and recommendations would be appreciated. Do i need to start over. I'm also at home for the week with the flu so would like to go ahead asap
    TIA

Quote Originally Posted by T.w View Post
    Hey lads/ladettes,

I have a question regarding primers.

I had been using Federal large magnum primers but can't get any at the local here.

I have a good number of Cci large rifle no.200 primers.

I found using 70.5gr of ar2217 was my most accurate with my load with the large magnum primers. And was just about to go down the road of changing depths. But alas. No large magnum primers left.

What should I expect with the same amount of powder with the change of primers? Any changes and recommendations would be appreciated. Do i need to start over. I'm also at home for the week with the flu so would like to go ahead asap
    TIA
    Possibly a little less velocity with slightly lower pressure. Standard primers supposedly ignite at slightly lower temps that magnum primers. May or may nor change POI. You will need to shoot some to see. Usually changing one primer for the other doesn't affect accuracy much if you have good accuracy to start with but best way to check, of course, is to shoot a few and see.
    Micky Duck and T.w like this.

You might find your velocity drops a bit by going from an LRM to a LR, with such a large amount of slow powder.

One way to find out. Test it. Then you can adjust accordingly.
    T.w likes this.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

Best to load up 3 to 5 and go to the range for a lookie.....

I will be doing the same once I get through my 1500

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

T.w
    And also another question about seating depth. If I run my ammo to fit in the mag it is massively off the Lanz. .14"

I did the forced fit method and it measured 3.496"
    Mag is 3.356"

Would be nice if it was accurate mag lenght. Thoughts??

Id start fresh with the brand change in primer . Your unlikly to run into pressure dropping but your results will likly vary meaning everything until now likly means nothing how many 215s do you need to keep going on the right track?
    T.w likes this.

And also another question about seating depth. If I run my ammo to fit in the mag it is massively off the Lanz. .14"

Mag is 3.356"

But then some goon would load a round nose to 3.496" without measuring the lands, jam it hard into the rifling, and blame everyone but themselves when they blew it up.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

Mag is 3.356"

Sometimes affects accuracy of a load, sometimes not so much. Depends on the bullet, how well the throat of your barrel is cut, how straight your handloads are. You have several things to try to figure out if it matters or not. But generally I think most guys prefer bullets a little closer to the lands than your rifle allows. Somewhere from only just touching to maybe just over 1 mm away. Monometel bullets generally give best accuracy with more jump, around 1 to 2 mm. I would suggest you load yours as long as the magazine allows while still reliably feeding the action and see how you go. If you end up needing to change your bullet a more rounded nose projectile ( still spitzer shape but not as skinny in the nose as the very low drag bullets ) will get bullets closer to the lands without changing the COAL and still fit the magazine.
    T.w and SAUM like this.

T.w
    Iv got about 150 of these other primers so would like to use them up if they will work
    I also am using 162gr edlx, il load up few max depth for the mag and check for pressure signs and check for accuracy

Iv got about 150 of these other primers so would like to use them up if they will work
    I also am using 162gr edlx, il load up few max depth for the mag and check for pressure signs and check for accuracy
    Just to buck the trend, My experience with ELDX projectiles is that they often don't mind a bit of jump, I loaded 145gn eldx in both 270win and wsm in Sako a7 rifles and the mag on those doesn't allow you to seat them anywhere near the lands.
    I'm currently working up a load for my 30 06 with 178gn eldx I am at the stage where I will be doing a seating depth ladder, hopefully I get a chance to get some data back this weekend.
    Feel free to have a look at my thread.

https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....opement-95515/
    #DANNYCENT

Your not referring to a tikka 7RM are you? If you are throw the jump out the window and load to mag legnth
    Micky Duck, dannyb and T.w like this.

Even if not a tikka every tikka has proven with its short mag and long throat 162 eldx is no stranger to jump so id throw out the piece of paper that you wrote it down on load to mag legnth and be happy
    Micky Duck, dannyb, T.w and 1 others like this.

Mag is 3.356"

it is what it is......you could single feed...may as well use a single shot.... OR single feed first round and have mag full of feedables... lots and lots and lots of rifles have lots of jump ..heck a rossi .308 you simply cannot do it,not enough left in the case... weatherby rifles used to have large jump ...might still do so???
    T.w likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    it is what it is......you could single feed...may as well use a single shot.... OR single feed first round and have mag full of feedables... lots and lots and lots of rifles have lots of jump ..heck a rossi .308 you simply cannot do it,not enough left in the case... weatherby rifles used to have large jump ...might still do so???
    Its a case of having measured and now knowing playing on the mind if not measured not knowing no questions

T.w
    Yes a rem mag. Sorry I left out a bit of info