Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree11Likes
  • 3 Post By Barry the hunter
  • 2 Post By Sidetrack
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By Sidetrack
  • 2 Post By Barry the hunter
  • 1 Post By Moa Hunter
  • 1 Post By Sidetrack

Thread: Red dot or LVPO

Red dot or LVPO

Tossing around a few different lighter weight options for the Grendal build. Use is primarily bush hunting but with the odd shot out to 100-150yrds.

Found this one which seemed to be very well priced and light compared to most LVPO scopes.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketpl...8?bof=qpbfYFkq

Any thoughts??
    “Age is a very high price to pay for maturity”

minox is good, prefer leupold as the backup service is outstanding

Banned
    This is a link to a counterfeit scope. If genuine, the one you have your eye on would have to be good buying
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3282...87626519%22%7D

Quote Originally Posted by Sidetrack View Post
    Tossing around a few different lighter weight options for the Grendal build. Use is primarily bush hunting but with the odd shot out to 100-150yrds.

Found this one which seemed to be very well priced and light compared to most LVPO scopes.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/marketpl...8?bof=qpbfYFkq

Any thoughts??
    I used similar scopes for years - a 2.5 fixed leupold and a 1.5 - 5 vari III both great -bush work I never felt under scoped and goat culling with the 222. well 250 was a long shot and the leupold vari III really never moved of 3 - the 1.5 - 5 the better scope - so long as its a good reticle - plex is okay but the euro style 4A with posts into fine cross hair would be even better - any scope with elevation or windage marks nah

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    This is a link to a counterfeit scope. If genuine, the one you have your eye on would have to be good buying
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3282...87626519%22%7D
    Thank you, yes that’s seems to be a problem. The seller has gone to some effort to clarify the issue but the reply from Minox is vague. Just to say the the ZA rename is genuine doesn’t make this particular one so. I guess the price reflects that.
    scotty and Moa Hunter like this.

Im with Barry on this one.....buy a low powered leupold and it will last you forever.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

To add, my preference would be a cross type illuminated reticle as the dot type tend to end up looking like a lopsided figure eight with my astigmatism. Probably not so much of an issue shooting both eyes open so keeping my options open. Have no real experience with red dots so will checkout some when I’m in Invers next. Budget is up to $500-800.

have you considered one of the hologram type sights???? like a red dot but have x hairs in the wee screen?????
    they are cheap enough off trademe for a basic one to try it out and find out if it will work for you.
    Sidetrack likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    have you considered one of the hologram type sights???? like a red dot but have x hairs in the wee screen?????
    they are cheap enough off trademe for a basic one to try it out and find out if it will work for you.
    No but it’s a good idea. In fact, I think I know someone that has a Stealth branded one the that he would lend me. Also kind of why I considered taking a risk with the Minox as it’s not huge money and I can always use it on something else. Still $300+ is a long way to buying something else.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Thanks for the continuing feedback, second day of snow here and I’m already over it so this is keeping me sane.

we try to please
    Moa Hunter and Sidetrack like this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidetrack View Post
    Thank you, yes that’s seems to be a problem. The seller has gone to some effort to clarify the issue but the reply from Minox is vague. Just to say the the ZA rename is genuine doesn’t make this particular one so. I guess the price reflects that.
    I think that if genuine, the scope is good buying. The seller states it is genuine and it may well be. It is probably possible to contact Minox USA and verify the serial No.
    I did notice with the counterfeit scope that the lens coating has a greenish hue. This seems common on low end chinese scopes. Does the TM scope have this ?

Banned
    Just had another look at both. I am 99% it is genuine and that you should buy it.
    On the counterfeit, the turret caps have an internal bevel - TM are straight.
    TM has box with a lens cleaning cloth of a particular colour
    Sidetrack likes this.

Took a punt and bought this scope which duly arrived today. Further to Moa Hunter’s observations I compared it to an old AliExpress listing that I found on a blog post and I think 99%is on the money. The following photos show the the differences in the reticle, battery cap and turrets.

Name:  20230713_123554_Original.jpeg
Views: 133
Size:  288.9 KBName:  IMG_0246.jpeg
Views: 134
Size:  162.8 KB

Name:  20230713_115208_Original.jpeg
Views: 125
Size:  960.7 KBName:  IMG_0247.jpeg
Views: 139
Size:  92.0 KB

Name:  20230713_115120_Original.jpeg
Size:  661.2 KBName:  IMG_0245.jpeg
Size:  113.5 KB

So far looks like a winner. Just need a rifle to put it on now.
    Micky Duck likes this.