Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Pull throughs

Pull throughs

What's everyone's opinion on pull-through cleaning systems? Not the bore snake types. I will admit I have only been using bore snakes to clean and oil my rifles after every shoot session which is once every few weeks and a dozen rounds on average. I gave away and never replaced my old rod style cleaning kit with break down rods because it was a heap of junk that damaged the bore in one of my rifles. But I've noticed recently my rifles where getting quite dirty to the point the bore snakes weren't doing much and one rifle started to develop a small amount of rust. So I'm going to invest in a new cleaning kit and I like the concept and price of pull through systems. Nothing I own is new and precision so I don't see the need to spend a lot of money on a one piece rod cleaning kit, I'm sure some of you will disagree.

I think bore snakes with oil are a terrible idea as it's just going to get filthy then your dragging the same crap thorough you barrel everytime. You need to use patches that get thrown away after it is pulled or pushed through.

A simple pull through made up of a brass weight and string with a loop in the end is what you after. Put patch through loop pull through job done. Patch goes in the bin.

Personally I use proper rods at home and only carry bore snakes when hunting for the occasional oopsy i got shit in my barrel.
    Tikka7mm08, Bagheera and 40mm like this.

buy a decent one piece cleaning rod,a bronze brush and a spear jag...once you start using a spear jag you will wonder why you ever pissed around with anything else. simply cut your 4x4 cloth to correct size (.303 will be red line square near enough so 3-4 bits per inch line) first one oiled,2nd and 3rd dry,4th one oiled...I reverse 1-2 and 3rd as Im a tight wad... so rifle has 7 passes of the rod per cleaning...and about once every 18mths a really good dung out,might even use some boretech or hoppes for that big clean up,normally just a few drops of breakfree CLP....
    a boresnake is good for the shotguns or quick clean when get in doors,leaving proper clean for later in the day,or morning after.
    timattalon, Finnwolf, HJA8 and 3 others like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Gone but not forgotten
    I use a pull thru on the lever action (Outers brand I think). More difficult than a rod but less chance of damaging the crown, and you are dragging the crud out the end of the barrel rather than into the action.

I only use boresnakes for giving the barrel a wipe to remove excess oil before heading out hunting or to the range.
    dannyb likes this.

if you really must go with a pull through find a "whole kit n kaboodle" and make sure not to let cord touch sides of muzzle. the only real excuse for not using a rod for cleaning is a lever action.
    RUMPY and Finnwolf like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Greetings All,
    Pull throughs are fine for wiping out a barrel in the field but to properly clean it the propper rod, jags, brushes, bore guide, patches and solvents are essential. Yes they are not cheap but are vastly cheaper than wrecking a barrel through inadequate cleaning.
    GPM.
    Moa Hunter, turtle, Magnus and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    Greetings All,
    Pull throughs are fine for wiping out a barrel in the field but to properly clean it the propper rod, jags, brushes, bore guide, patches and solvents are essential. Yes they are not cheap but are vastly cheaper than wrecking a barrel through inadequate cleaning.
    GPM.
    This. The pull through is all you really need in the field. You must have something with you to wipe oil out of the barrel and chamber before use and to give it a rough clean and oil after use. But it won't shift harder copper or carbon fouling. Like said above, watch out for running the string along the crown, keep it central. Not that the string by itself will do the crown any harm, but it may be contaminated with some fine grit.
    Moa Hunter and dannyb like this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Quote Originally Posted by Three O'Three View Post
    What's everyone's opinion on pull-through cleaning systems? Not the bore snake types. I will admit I have only been using bore snakes to clean and oil my rifles after every shoot session which is once every few weeks and a dozen rounds on average. I gave away and never replaced my old rod style cleaning kit with break down rods because it was a heap of junk that damaged the bore in one of my rifles. But I've noticed recently my rifles where getting quite dirty to the point the bore snakes weren't doing much and one rifle started to develop a small amount of rust. So I'm going to invest in a new cleaning kit and I like the concept and price of pull through systems. Nothing I own is new and precision so I don't see the need to spend a lot of money on a one piece rod cleaning kit, I'm sure some of you will disagree.
    Buy a Parker hale cleaning rod jag and bronze brush
    Bagheera and Tech like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobba View Post
    Personally I use proper rods at home and only carry bore snakes when hunting for the occasional oopsy i got shit in my barrel.
    That's my view of pull-throughs: an emergency item for when you get crap down your barrel when away from home. Proper cleaning involves high quality rods.
    Tech and Barry the hunter like this.

I agree with 6x47 - I always carry a pull thru in the field -just in case of crud/water entering barrel - always a proper rod set up when back home - when I had my 742 remington woodmaster i used a pull thru as did not want to use rod from muzzle end ( man I miss that 742 ) did not do a good job at all

Quote Originally Posted by omark View Post
    Buy a Parker hale cleaning rod jag and bronze brush
    Yes the Parker hale jag that you wrap the patch around is the business, far superior to the spear jag.
    Pull throughs all I use them for is to swipe the oil out from the barrel when the rifle gets out for a shoot.
    Cursed be the ground for our sake. Both thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for us. For out of the ground we were taken, for the dust we are... and to the dust we shall return.

On the use of pull throughs and bore snakes my opinion is never ever.My father told me 60 odd years ago never use a pull through and I have followed his advice. If going away the gun is in a case or gun bag and it is easy to throw in a rod with the gun.Cleaning rods live in my truck and have often been handy for myself and others. I have heard of a few instances where pull throughs have been jammed in a barrel,string broken requiring a gunsmith to fix.

I only use quality one piece rods, good fitting bronze brushes and jags (ALWAYS a bore guide) to "deep clean" rifle bores.

However, I do fire a lot of rounds at the range and always run a couple of wet patches through before I leave. A plastic biro cap fits the cartridges I own and very light pressure will keep a pull through centered without risking damage to the crown if you're careful.

Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

Otis make the best commercial pullthrough kits IMHO.

Name:  1CBEED7C-E31A-4996-9D6A-5D3BA740D97F.jpeg
Views: 273
Size:  94.7 KB
    Micky Duck, Tech and No.3 like this.

As above, bore snake when I get out of the car to make sure any residual oil, dust, or whatever, (I cycle all my brass in my lever action after sizing) is gone and again after shooting when I get back to the car.
    If I have been at the range or fired off a number of rounds then at home I get out my rod, (carbon fibre and brass) and use wet followed by dry patches wrapped around the bronze brush.
    Z