Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Tasbay
  • 1 Post By MSL

Thread: AN/PVS-4 starlight scope repair

AN/PVS-4 starlight scope repair

Looking for someone who knows the ins and outs about the AN/PVS-4 NV optic

Can’t import spares to repair because ITAR says so.

Functions fine in practice, currently running the two AA battery packs but it keeps exploding batteries after 5 minutes operation, not sure if it’s an internal issue or pack related but would like to try new packs before forking put my firstborn to get it repaired with no assurance I’ll get it back into the country.

If anyone has the OEM button style battery packs or even the external remote pack I would be happy to give you my kidney. Name:  36BD539F-E864-4285-8723-67B4991286F4.jpeg
Views: 229
Size:  360.6 KB

Explain exploding batteries a little better. Sounds like a battery short. Are you able to get at the battery wires and test run it bypassing the battery box. Another suggestion is try half charged rechargeable batteries , once the tube lights up is doesn't take much to keep the tube active. These are pretty old Tec and used the standard battery's not the new lithium or Energiser types.

From your description everything internally is operating fine so I would be looking for a short closer to the battery end. I have a scope that drains batteries in hours if left in it so only tighten the battery cap when about to use but that's not your issue. Good luck.
    Last edited by Tasbay; 23-12-2022 at 09:22 AM.
    Moa Hunter and Cordite like this.

Usually it’s the positive end of the first battery popping and leaking out on box No2 after around 8mins of sustained use with the dayviewing cover on low exposure

I can get about 5 min with the cover off in the dark as it is using more juice.

You have raised an excellent point though regarding the batteries, my example is from 1978 so I’m now wondering if the modern batteries are the issue, either way I still now need to get pack No2 repaired from the damage as it’s corroded the rear contact tab into dust.

Frustrating as it would be a cheap and easy 50USD fix if it wasn’t ITAR restricted or on the USML for prohibited export from the US

MSL
    @gonetropo fixed my NV unit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cordite likes this.

Cheers mate, might drop him a line and see if he is able to get it going

SLR
    Thats a weird one, my PVS 4 runs on 2x AA batterys okay.

I don’t share a good working relationship with electronics, I wouldn’t have the foggiest on how to check the draw, all I know is that the optic works, but pops batteries.

I’ve got two boxes, each one holds X2 AA, one at 12oclock and one at 3, and always seems the be the one one the side that carks it

Mine being an early VARO produced example allows it to use the AA packs, external power or the cell pods that take X3 watch batteries for a total of x6

I have the original user manual and optics/lense charts available for anyone else with a AN/PVS-4, I can scan up a copy if need be.

I see there is a PVS-4 on Ebay out of Turkey. Have never delt with the guy selling them but know of tubes he has sold to NZ without issue. He sells quite a bit of NV gear, mostly ex U.S A you could ask him if he has any battery boxes.
    I would advise just watch Ebay and something will turn up outside of the U.S that you can get.