Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Rangefinding binos (maybe vortex)

Disagree with Ryan .Good Range finding Binos trump a pair of Binos and a range finder hands down for convenience and glass quality is very good on mid range Binos now, and whilst Binos are important, you’ll eventually need both for any reliable shooting passed a couple of hundred meters. The same argument could be used for buying rangefinders about needing to upgrade in the future and Binos hold their value better than rangefinders generally

Quote Originally Posted by SiB View Post
    Plus the BDX scopes from Sig look as though they require an independent rangie......
    A friend bought a system earlier this year, the range finder talks to your smart phones ballistic app. It has a think about things then chats to the scope and a little red dot appears on the rather thick central post and thats where you are supposed to aim.
    Its a pretty smart system but I prefer dialling why should i get rid of a perfectly good scope im familiar with.
    Good comfy binos are probably more important as for almost long range shots you have a bit of time to get yourself set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    A friend bought a system earlier this year, the range finder talks to your smart phones ballistic app. It has a think about things then chats to the scope and a little red dot appears on the rather thick central post and thats where you are supposed to aim.
    Its a pretty smart system but I prefer dialling why should i get rid of a perfectly good scope im familiar with.
    Good comfy binos are probably more important as for almost long range shots you have a bit of time to get yourself set up.
    I see you can just put your rifle ballistics into the sig binos so you can then use with any rifle. Also saves having a ballistic turret for one particular round should you ever change loads just put in the new data. Seems like a pretty quick system. Off the glass is ok I'll be very tempted
    Marty Henry likes this.

kw
    Check Gun brokers web site for a goon deal on fury.

Bushnells work fine for the money and give you a direct ballistic line taking angle into account is all you need. I'm not sure what their guarantee is, doesn't matter you won't need it, built tough.
    There's a thing called law of diminishing returns, none more so with this gear, they're a good starting point without tying up too much.
    Less crap with you the better than swapping back and forwards between rangefinders and binos when you should just be glassing all the time.
    When you glass moving through area's it's easy to quickly take a range so if something pops up you already have a general idea of distance as can often be different either way to what you think it is.
    Get a chest rig for them so nice and handy.
    chainsaw likes this.

The range finder on the sig is about as good as you will get in nearly all price ranges. Very fast with hyper scam out to 4000m. Gets hits on nearly all surfaces we tried. For hunting connected to the app you can get to 800m of ballistics read out in the binos. And you could use it with a bdx scope. If you want more ballistics for target shooting you need to have a kestrel 5700 connected.
    Image quality is very good. It’s quite an impressive unit for $2400. I still prefer the ballistics options in my zeiss as it works standalone but are nearly twice the price.
    blair993 likes this.

$2400 sounds reasonable, buy/cry once and you have them. After your rifle and knife next most useful thing and also more useful than numerous rifles in safe you hardly use.

Had a look through the sigs today. Nice piece of kit. Glass seemed clear. Would find it pretty hard to justify euro glass at the price. Think I would just rather another rifle.
    Next need to look through the vortex.
    Then the big question will be less functions but lifetime warranty vs more ballistic functions but 5-10 yr warranty.

I can say for sure people are praising their rangefinder Kilo 2000. This rangefinder is pretty much all you need for its overall function. I have got it to pick up a tree at 900+ yards. I can't say if it was accurate or not. I mean, across the street, over a house, beyond a field, across a street, beyond a house and picked up the tree. It reads the same each time I do it. For the price and warranty, I cannot complain one single bit.

https://wildproofgear.com/best-rangefinders/ - there are some proc and cons
    A simple two-button interface provides critical ease-of-use and a high-transmittance LCD display clearly shows the ranging information in your line-of-sight in an uncluttered layout.

DBL
    Quote Originally Posted by quentin View Post
    Have the Vortex Fury 5000, and the optical quality easily surpassed the Steiner Bino's they replaced. They have a lifetime warranty on the bino's AND the electronics, so better off than getting the Sig, which only has 5 years on the electronics.
    Downside will be they are pretty basic in terms of functionality - no custom ballistic computer, but they do angle corrected range, so I use a dope chart when I have the distance to target.
    Longest ranged object was over 4000m, which was the furthest hill I could range from the house.
    I second this vote. I have been running the Vortex Fury 5000HD's for a while. The glass is noticeably clearer (especially on dawn and dusk) than my Viper PST 2 5-25.

No many sigs in stock. I've found only 1 down south at the "old price" of $2400.
    New stock is $2600 and very limited supply.
    Been looking for the same for the past 3 months.
    Got a pair of Sig arriving soon to try.
    Will post after a good test.

I started this thread and ended up with the sigs. Awesome bit of kit. Good binos for a start. The range finding function with ballistics function is awesome. Can program for any rifle I have. Can change ammo with each rifle with out having to worry about making a cds dial redundant.
    Also means no more rangefinder no more drop chart. And can run without phone app. I think it's the most versatile system out there
    stagstalker likes this.