Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Recent US export rule changes

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MMC3 View Post
    Hi,

Soooo...

I've got my electronic import permit (pdf is locked so it can't be printed), and I've got a letter from Customs saying my part (a stock) has arrived and they need the import permit.

I just can't figure out what to do now on the Customs website - it seems I might need to use a Broker? Can anyone help?

Cheers, M
    My Mrs does export / import logistics. PM me a ph no. if you would like some help

Thanks Moa Hunter,

Rather than bothering you, I got on the phone and have some clearer instructions from Customs, which I will follow, and if it works, I'll post them here.

Cheers, M

Hi,

Soooo...

I've got my electronic import permit (pdf is locked so it can't be printed), and I've got a letter from Customs saying my part (a stock) has arrived and they need the import permit.

I just can't figure out what to do now on the Customs website - it seems I might need to use a Broker? Can anyone help?

Cheers, M
    Just reply them with the your digital version of your copy of import permit.

Are we still required to pick everything up from customs?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    Are we still required to pick everything up from customs?
    If your parcel is delivered by NZPost then maybe. I don't have issue with Fedex though..

Righto,

On your letter, there is an e-mail address right at the top - service.delivery@customs.govt.nz. You send an electronic copy of all the things they ask for in the letter.

I got an auto reply back, then nothing more, until I got an e-mail from NZ Post to say that it was an item they would not carry. Apparently, they don't carry anything firearms related at all.

I then got on to Fastways, who do, and it (a stock) is now on its way to me. You need to arrange pick-up by the courier from the International Mail Centre in Auckland. Kinda slow, and a giant pain, but at least it is nearly here...

Cheers, M
    winaa likes this.

Righto,

On your letter, there is an e-mail address right at the top - service.delivery@customs.govt.nz. You send an electronic copy of all the things they ask for in the letter.

I got an auto reply back, then nothing more, until I got an e-mail from NZ Post to say that it was an item they would not carry. Apparently, they don't carry anything firearms related at all.

I then got on to Fastways, who do, and it (a stock) is now on its way to me. You need to arrange pick-up by the courier from the International Mail Centre in Auckland. Kinda slow, and a giant pain, but at least it is nearly here...

Cheers, M
    That's strange. I got few parts arrived recently and went through the custom. Clearly the custom changed its policy regarding what part requires the import permit.

The forend (like a rail), and strangely the remington 700 chassis didn't require the import permit anymore. And they were re-directed to NZPost network and sent directly to my door without question asked.

In very same email from Police last week received permits for pistol parts and mags.
    Very same email a letter declining application for permit, as permit not required.
    I'm covered either way, just highly confused?
    Some people have been saying red dots are good to go now also?

Quote Originally Posted by jackson21 View Post
    In very same email from Police last week received permits for pistol parts and mags.
    Very same email a letter declining application for permit, as permit not required.
    I'm covered either way, just highly confused?
    Some people have been saying red dots are good to go now also?
    I got an clarification email recently from my friend, which was sent by permit delivery group, stating only the core part, like the receiver, barrel, trigger etc requires the permit to import. Otherwise it is good to go now.

Quote Originally Posted by GDMP View Post
    There were some changes made last month,some items now no longer require a import permit where they did before (such as scopes for example).
    Can confirm the same thing recently being dealing with customs.

Quote Originally Posted by GDMP View Post
    There were some changes made last month,some items now no longer require a import permit where they did before (such as scopes for example).
    Where can I find this?
    I received two orders of reloading and cleaning supplies a few weeks ago, both showed up on my door step, didn't get asked for a permit at all.

Quote Originally Posted by eamars View Post
    Can confirm the same thing recently being dealing with customs.
    Who would have guessed they would actually make some stuff easier, probably massive workload created with new rules when required permits for everything. Now you don't need permits for stuff you used to, this is good for small bits and peices you can't get here.

Anyone got a link to something offical about this?

Quote Originally Posted by eamars View Post
    Some update with shippings....

USPS is basically not working... The parcel sent by Brownells on 13 May went 'lost' without any tracking information for almost a week now. The last seen location was in Chicago. I don't recommend order anything from US with current situation.
    This has happened to me before, pre-covid, USPS sent a brownells package to Zurich instead of New Zealand, and the replacement got lost in NZ. I eventually ended up with 3x the same order once they all arrived. Its not unusual for international mail to get lost or misdirected.

Even pre C19 I have had some exciting trips for my parcels from Brownells and others per good old USPS. Had one go via Peru. Another via Japan and anther via French Polynesia (at least sorta heading my way). Obviously cargo jets.

I am also not sure USPS tracking is accurate at times although it should be.

Most recent one (although it was an Amazon purchase), a month ago, zig zagged alarmingly around the States. Likewise a parcel from Oz although Oz Post does warn about parcels going to non normal stop offs, due to the current situation.

Reading on RimfireCentral forum recently that the Yanks are also unhappy with USPS domestic service but I think that may be a long standing unhappiness.
    eamars likes this.